Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-13-2012, 05:31 AM   #1
techforlife OP
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,241
XR650L Wallet Lightening

Well......i intended on pulling the engine,getting a few engine mods done/refresh and just a general cleaning/lubing of the whole bike...

Ya.....well that exploded into about 2k of parts coming back from Florida with my folks,,who stay there for the winter...and come back early April..

To say i got carried away is an understatement (according to me lovely wife)...

Sooooooooo...i`ve been talked(read conned) into a rebuild thread by TheBigMan(thanks Biggy) ,so here we go..

I took this....

And pulled the engine out in the late fall and stripped the bike to it`s bones..

My real intention was to really clean the shit out of it,,regrease,and reassemble

Well about xmas time i decided i was going to repaint the frame,,i figured out the cost of the spray cans/versus getting the proper gun and supplys and spraying it properly..a friend of mine who is way cool was going to blast it for me..

Well.......then i remembered my company owns a PC shop....and decided to call and find out how much it would cost to get it powder-coated,and also see what colors they had,,i figured it would be too costly..but what the hell,couldn`t hurt to call.....well he sends up a sample of steel done in what he called pearl silver...then tells me 140 bucks...which i have to add 10% onto for employees for the company i work for.......well f that..i`m not going to work my arse off cleaning/blasting/painting for that kinda money,,probably cost me more than that in the end anyway,,and spraying something with a dozen round pipes on it is no friggin treat neither,,BTDT........so off she went,,he told me 2 weeks........

So the next day it shows up at the shop all done,,quick 2 weeks

Well it turned out pretty sweet.......then i realized i forgot to send the subframe FFS .........so i sent it down,,it returned the next day,,done for free..

Oh..........i flushed the oil tank throughly before it went out...........then i flushed the oil tank about 4 times with gas after the powder coating was done,you DO NOT want sand going throught the oil pump/engine....i then flushed the frame resevoir three times with clean engine oil.....i was not taking any chances..and did not want flash rusting of the internal oil resevoir after cleaning it out with gas neither...

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer

techforlife screwed with this post 04-13-2012 at 06:00 AM
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote