Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
eatdrinkadam OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Tire pressure

Hello.

I put some new Heidenau K60's on my BMW 1200 GSA recently, and from what I understand, tire pressure fluctuates with temperature.

The front tire moves between 37-33 psi (higher when being ridden, lesser when kept in the cold garage)
The back tire moves between 39-32 psi (same as above)

average temp here is 65 degrees F.

I have reason to believe my back tire has a slow leak, due to a small tear I put into it, trying to get the tire on myself. (i ended up taking it to a shop and have it machined) The shop said the tear was a concern, but they put the tire on and checked for leaks, and said it should be ok.

Since the tire pressure fluctuates so much, its hard to tell if the tire is losing pressure.

Is there better way to test for super slow leaks? (Dunking it might not reveal anything if the leak is so minor)
eatdrinkadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:38 AM   #2
buickid
Lets ride!

Oddometer: 310
You should always check tire pressure cold. That means before you ride, and at least 2 hours after riding. Don't quote me on the 2 hours, thats a completely non-scientific guess.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:17 AM   #3
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,216
Your looking for roughly a 10% increase in psi

cold to hot. street ridden. http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=009

Or you could just boost em to 2-5 psi below max pressure as labeled on sidewall of tire, like most touring GSers
Old 04-13-2012, 05:19 AM   #4
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatdrinkadam View Post
Hello.

I put some new Heidenau K60's on my BMW 1200 GSA recently, and from what I understand, tire pressure fluctuates with temperature.

The front tire moves between 37-33 psi (higher when being ridden, lesser when kept in the cold garage)
The back tire moves between 39-32 psi (same as above)

average temp here is 65 degrees F.

I have reason to believe my back tire has a slow leak, due to a small tear I put into it, trying to get the tire on myself. (i ended up taking it to a shop and have it machined) The shop said the tear was a concern, but they put the tire on and checked for leaks, and said it should be ok.

Since the tire pressure fluctuates so much, its hard to tell if the tire is losing pressure.

Is there better way to test for super slow leaks? (Dunking it might not reveal anything if the leak is so minor)
About 5# from cold to hot is expected. Ride hard is hot weather and it will rise even more.
Replace the air w/nitrogen for much less change...
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:39 AM   #5
MisterPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Run them at the 36 listed on the sidewall (Heid. recommened that pressure for a Tiger 800, figure your GS is a wee bit heavier) . After a good ride, stick them to see what psi you're at.
MisterPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:46 AM   #6
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,544
I am confussed by your question. You are correct the air expands and contracts with temp. changes and thus the pressure changes.
Are you expereincing pressure change or a steady decrease?
To look for a very slow leak ( I just had one ) emerse the entire tire/wheel in water and take a seat near by.
Mine turned our to be an ever so slow leak at the stem valve ( a BB sized bubble every two minuets or so ).
The stem valve tightness would be a good thing to check first. Just screw in a new one and check for problem to go away.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7

fritzcoinc screwed with this post 04-13-2012 at 07:52 AM
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote