Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 06:28 AM   #466
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan View Post
Quick help please. Found a 2011 with 5k on the clock with Sargent seat. What would pay for it?
Is the warranty transferable or already used up?

There are new leftover 2011s on cycletrader listed from 7999 on up, so certainly not any more than that, I guess.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:36 AM   #467
sweetlou
small body, big balls

Oddometer: 1,035
Regarding seats, I sent mine out to Spencer (great day to ride.com) and like all the other sport tourers report, excellent results. No more cone up your butt, no more slant into tank.

Lou

[2009 KTM 250 XCW(e)]

[2004 KTM 525EXC] - Sumo build
sweetlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #468
jcarlson9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideDualSport.com View Post
Excellent Blakebird, the corbin looks good! The sargent on my N1K has been feeling great. It took a few hundred miles for it to conform to my sit-bones, sort of a break-in period, and now its comfortable for 500 mile days. I generally get off the bike about every 120 miles for gas, and I can feel the foam "recover" within a few moments - good to go till the next gas stop.
I checked out your past motorcycles - and am interested in your observations and comparisons of the N1K to all those fine bikes you owned.
Cheers!
nice husky !
jcarlson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #469
KodiakRS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Planning on picking one of these up in a few weeks. Does anyone know if the akropovich slip on's will have a clearance issue with givi v35's attached to a SW motec rack?
KodiakRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #470
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakRS View Post
Planning on picking one of these up in a few weeks. Does anyone know if the akropovich slip on's will have a clearance issue with givi v35's attached to a SW motec rack?
I believe Akra has just the one mounting for their slip-ons, and it is compatible with the GV35's (Kawasaki badged oem). Could not swear by the SW Motech mounts, just the factory mount.

There's a picture at the link - not spamming this retailer, but they have pictures of all the aftermarket exhausts for the N1K that's good for comparisons.
http://www.surfsidemoto.com/store/product/AKRK23.html

Leo Vince has two slip-ons... one that hangs lower like the Akra that works with luggage, and one that turns the cans more upright, and does not work with the hard bags.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #471
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Took the N1K out for a quick 1,600 mile weekend blast - pretty much it's first multi-day road trip. I knew it was a great scratcher in the canyons and a lot of fun on local rides - but it exceeded my expectations on comfort and ability to stay in the seat for long days. Very comfortable.

Went down to Santa Fe, NM and stopped by some friend's place for dinner and drinks - the next morning an early departure down the two lane backroads thru small towns and villages.
Dig out a map and connect the dots...

El Dorado, Galisteo, Cerrillos, Madrid, Torreon, MountainAir.... Socorro, Truth or Consequences....hwy 152 to Hillsboro, Silver City....180 to Mule Creek Jct, hwy 78 to Clifton, AZ.

Up Devil's Hwy to Alpine... Reserve, Datil, Very Large Array, Socorro...
Santa Fe, hwy 285, Ojo Caliente, Alamosa, San Luis Valley, Salida, Canon City...home.

Averaged 43mpg each tank pretty much regardless of how I rode.
Packed light with one of my small tank bags and a Held Speedy tail bag.

At the 180/78 junction, aka Mule Creek Jct.

The road gets good when you cross into Arizona

Almost to Clifton

The Rode Inn in Clifton. Pretty much your only choice - I call ahead when I'm headed here for the night. It's a tug to the next lodging.

Riding up 191 I didn't see a single car for the first 48 miles...

Blue Lake vista turnout

Stopped in Alpine for gas, and checked the rear tire as the bike had felt kind of squirmy for a while.

I checked the tire the morning before, fine at 42psi. Now it was at 22psi
The pavement was rough, bumpy, and in places tar-snakey....the tire didn't feel that low, the steering just felt vague.

Careful check of the tire showed no nail or visible puncture, and no leak big enough to be seen or heard. Pumped it back up to 45psi to give it a little extra for the next long tug. The next check in Socorro showed 30psi, so it was losing 15psi every couple hundred miles.

obligatory VLA shots

Stopped in Santa Fe where I knew of a couple of bike shops on Cerrillos Rd near I-25, and checked the rear again. It had lost another 15psi, so I had a tire put on at Santa Fe Motorsports. The oem tire was at 3,500 miles and getting close to the wear bars - so with a mysterious slow leak it was an easy decision to put a tire on.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #472
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
Took the N1K out for a quick 1,600 mile weekend blast - pretty much it's first multi-day road trip. I knew it was a great scratcher in the canyons and a lot of fun on local rides - but it exceeded my expectations on comfort and ability to stay in the seat for long days. Very comfortable.
The oem tire was at 3,500 miles and getting close to the wear bars - so with a mysterious slow leak it was an easy decision to put a tire on.
That was a really awesome ride. I have only done Hwy 191 once on my Buell and it blew my mind, with its endless tight turns and no traffic it gave me time to find my groove. The Sargent seat really improved the comfort of my Ninja 1000 and I really like the ergonomics of the bike. I am 5' 8" and the relationship between the bars, seat and pegs allow me to spread my weight very evenly in those three areas. I do not have excessive weight on my hands, or feel like I have to stretch to the bars.
I too got a flat in my OEM rear tire and it was a slow leak. I felt the handling getting squishy for several miles before pulling over to inspect the tires. Riding at a 20 psi, cause the rear tire to wear very quickly. Glad you had a great time on the Ninja. I get very excited every time I swing a leg over it, even if its just to run to the store.
Cheers!
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:22 AM   #473
peteandheidi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
has anyone changed their rear shock to a wilbers, ohlins or any other aftermarket brand??

how much better was it?
peteandheidi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:37 AM   #474
arshishb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteandheidi View Post
has anyone changed their rear shock to a wilbers, ohlins or any other aftermarket brand??

how much better was it?
Ask that question here:

http://www.riderforums.com/3rd-gen-z...sx-ninja-1000/

There are a few folks who swapped to Ohlins so they would have feedback for you.
arshishb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:27 AM   #475
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteandheidi View Post

how much better was it?
The forks are better than average, but I really don't have any complaints about the shock, it's also a good unit.
Bike does fine in any kind of aggressive canyon riding with the stocker...
Old 05-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #476
Krang
Rides with hippies

Oddometer: 350
So, Ninja Tankbags.

I've already decided on the luggage I'm going to get, need to settle on a tank bag now. I'm not 100% dedicated to a powered tank bag, however I'm heavily leaning towards one.

What have you used, what have you liked/disliked?
Old 05-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #477
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

I have a pretty good collection of tank bags....large, small, straps, magnetic...

The seat fits pretty snug to the tank, so I've used my magnetic tankbags on this bike.
The unusual tank shape lends itself to a couple of the mag ones, the small one I use is an Ogio Super Mini tankbag

The bigger one is an expandable Cortech Mini

I use a Held Speedy tail pack, works great for weekend trips....like the pics above.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #478
Magus
Never grew up...

Oddometer: 96
I use the cortech tank bag that sits on a ring on the gas cap. I can't remember the model number right now but it works very well and it is nice to know I don't have anything scratching the paint.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
Magus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #479
Mikelly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Here are a few pics of the Chase Harper tank bag I recently bought!

Works well with the SWMotec bags!
Mike
Old 05-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #480
Krang
Rides with hippies

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus View Post
I use the cortech tank bag that sits on a ring on the gas cap. I can't remember the model number right now but it works very well and it is nice to know I don't have anything scratching the paint.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Dryver - One of the ones I've been looking at. A pricey unit.