User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,452
Wicked F800GS R/R Mosfet replacement....How to...

So after reading the awesome thread posted by Joel regarding the Batteries, and the stator issues with the bike... I decided to jump on as a beta tester. I have already had one dead battery, but as many explained there were issues with them. I want to raise the charging voltage to 14.2 volt+, and I think by now we have all come to the conclusion that with the exception of a few..... the 8GS is charging too low. So using the link that Joel suplied.... I purchased a Mosfet R/R from a vendor in Joplin,ME. We can get all technical regarding the benefit...etc... But in short By raising the charging voltage to 14.2+.....your charging system would greatly benefit......specially setting you up for a LI battery. So a few measurements was necessary before the surgery. I recognize that the temperature of the case outside the stator is iffy at best, since latent heat from the headers...airflow....etc... will render it mostly .....ummmm. just for fun. But I set it up anyway. After a cold engine start.... and a 8 mile ride 6 of which was on the freeway at 60 mph.... I let the bike idle, and took the following measurements. I got the R/R from this ebay vendor... Thanks to Joel for the link....

Idle after a 5 minute cool down.....

3000 rpm after same 5 minute cool down......

Idle after 10 minutes.......

Then the fan cycled 4 times....and the voltage dropped to 13.45 volts with the fan on.....

After 15 minutes the temp seemed to stabilize at 263.5 deg.F.... The rise was slowed down a lot.....

Here is the kit purchased..... No markings.... But very good instructions..... That was written in English...in this country... Which is awesome to see. It was ordered and shipped within one day.. Very good service...

With those baseline measurements in hand.... I will now cut the stock R/R off,and begin the surgery..... Be back shortly with more pics....

Erling

ebrabaek screwed with this post 04-13-2012 at 07:41 PM
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote