Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,120
Riding the road less traveled... NW Utah

Well Hi there everyone, been taking it easy since my return from my south of the border excursion. Well after my 11,000 Mile ride poor ole "Moya" my 990 needed a little TLC So, I flushed the coolant, and even though I only had 2600 miles on the oil since I changed it in Houston, TX I went ahead and changed it out too.

My OEM drive-line had been through a lot and the ole chain was looking pretty tired so I ordered in a a new set of sprockets and chain (steel sprockets) dropped my counter down to a 16 tooth.... I really like it so far.

She cleans up real good after using De-greaser, and a good old fashion power wash.

Pretty...... ain't it

Well all loaded up and spring is a trying, so off I go

I had posted up on the local M/C board if anyone wanted to head south, originally I was going to Escalante Staircase in southern Utah hit the Smoky Mtn road and Hole in the Rock rd, but alas no takers and the weather had become very iffy. So, I decided just to wander..... didn't even take my GPS, went old school and packed a map... and we're off.

Took back roads and farm roads down to Oakley, neet little town, grabbed a snack and drink-n-took a short walk around. On the way down hit a fun FtoM I never rode ended up here at Balanced Rock

See fun road

Oakley

Interesting Link of area http://www.summitpost.org/cache-peak-id/152960

From there it on south down Birch Creek heading to Grouse Creek.........

Beautiful ride through the Cedar Hills

44 miles later I finally rolled into Grouse Creek in Grouse Valley UT..

I know there's people living there I saw smoke rising out of the chimneys. There was a very nice LDS ward across the street was a school K thru 5 I think for all the Ranchers kids.

Pulled up to the local store and no one was in........ Figures! well at least there's fuel here (the last one for 100 miles)

OK, so some of the picturesque building of GC.

Down town

A link to Grouse Creek http://www.grousecreek.com/intro.html

So headed south towards 30, 21 miles of straight gravel road, soooooooooo I rolled on the throttle

Finally hit the highway and I now have 65 miles on the clock out of Oakley, and I've not seen a soul, nada, one person.

Well, I cross the highway heading south, four and a half miles later I come up on this

Here's the 90 rail bed

Well it is getting late in the day and wind is kicking up so I think I'll start looking for a place for the night. I can see a stand of trees about 1/2 mile away guess I'll head over there.

Cool!

Rolled down to the oasis of threes

Cool, this is the place for tonight; set up camp and started walking around collecting firewood

Pretty neat an Eco-friendly cabin looks like it even had electricity once upon a time.

The trees were just starting to bud out also there is a small pond of water on sight I could even hear water running from someplace.

Settled down to eat and it was weird quiet, as I was reflecting about the day, I had my first external noise since Oakley

Then it went silent except for the wind. This tree was just odd to me...... guess one would deduct the prevailing wind direction... from the south.

Figured I'd get a fire going

Yup, I having a good conversation with myself. and then this damn song popped into my head and I started dancing around the fire all alone in the middle of the desert..

Well that's it for now more later. Man that tree is wicked looking...

Here's some history of the area http://www.onlineutah.com/lucinhistory.shtml

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley

Idahosam screwed with this post 04-14-2012 at 01:41 PM
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote