Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #61
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Kurt View Post

While I was in Piste I was talking to Mexican who told me that I could not turn in my TVIP in Baja as I had planned. I had no internet access and my Spanish is not good enough to confirm this with any of the officials. I thought he was wrong, but being a Mexican newbie I really didn't know. He told me I had to turn in my TVIP at the same Banjercito where I received it! Damn! Even though I was pretty sure he was wrong, who was I to argue with a Mexican about his own country. I started making plans to return to the states via Eagle Passs, ride across NM and AZ and re-enter Mexico in Baja. It would change the trip drastically, but it would still be a good trip.

I started heading back for the US. Tomorrow I hope to update you on that leg of the trip.

Spoiler Alert: The Mexican was wrong!
Banjercito recently changed the policy to allow you to cancel your TVIP at any border crossing... we just did it last week...
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #62
BMW Kurt OP
Picture Taker

Oddometer: 10,089
Headed Back North

I am writing this about 4 or 5 days after the events happened. I now know that the Mexican gave me wrong information. He did not do it intentionally, I honestly think he was trying to help me. Oh, well! This is still going to be a hell of a trip!

I left Piste and starting riding back north. On the way back I stopped in Champoton for a couple of photos.

I spent the first night in Villahermosa and then rode for Mexico City. I spent the next night in San Martin Texmelucan.

I woke up early the next morning hoping to avoid Mexico City morning rush hour traffic. On the way I saw this and I had to take some photos.

I hit Mexico City at about 8:30AM. Traffic was interesting to say the least! I made it to Matehuala and the next day on to Eagle Pass, TX. I checked at the Aduana and they told me that I did NOT have to turn my TVIP in there. They were not sure if I could have done it in the Baja, though. I have since learned that you can. Oh, well! As I said I still have two months to ride. I'm just going to go with the flow.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #63
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY View Post
Banjercito recently changed the policy to allow you to cancel your TVIP at any border crossing... we just did it last week...
I crossed 3/26 and found you CANNOT cancel your TVIP in Tecate, there are no government officials in that office.
They advised I could go to any Mexican Consulate stateside and cancel or must go to either Mexicali or Tijuana.
Opted for Tijuana and finding the place was a nightmare, luckly stopped at an auto importers office and he had me follow him several miles to the office/yard that ultimately was close to the crossing.

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #64
sloj0
uber n00b

Oddometer: 30
Nice RR Kurt! Thanks :)

Just getting a bit off topic here, so does anyone know if you can cancel the TVIP at any border crossing where there's a Banjercito office? or only the major crossings?

I'm in Mexico at the moment and looking at crossing at one of the smaller crossings into AZ, but obviously don't want to go all the way to Sonoyta if I can only get it cancelled in Nogales...
sloj0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:26 AM   #65
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

You can cancel the TVIP at any border crossing with a Banjercito permit office...it does not have to be the same as your entry point.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:48 AM   #66
jorrie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
WISH I WAS THERE WITH YOU,LOOKS GREAT
jorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #67
BMW Kurt OP
Picture Taker

I really needed to change the oil in my bike. That bike was so good to me in Mexico! Mexico threw heat, dust, topes, and stop and go traffic at it. The last time I changed oil on the road was at Alaska Leather in Anchorage, AK. I had never changed it on the road since and was not really sure if anyone would let me change it in their parking lot. I went to a Walmart in Carlsbad, NM and they were very nice about it and let me change my oil in their parking lot and recycled it for me.

After changing oil I rode to Roswell, NM where I am avoiding being abducted by aliens. Tomorrow I will visit the UFO museum here.

Seems like I am not the only one that likes Walmart here!

Old 04-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #68
sloj0
uber n00b

Oddometer: 30
thanks skinny, perhaps I should rephrase, what I meant to ask was, are there banjercito offices at ALL border crossings?
sloj0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #69
BMW Kurt OP
Picture Taker

Do You Believe?

I spent the day in Roswell visiting the UFO Museum. Purportedly a UFO crashed in Roswell in July 1947. Now the event is the major cause of tourism in this small New Mexican town.

That afternoon there was a sandstorm in Roswell.

Tomorrow I will begin heading for Moab, UT and spend a week there resting up planning the rest of the trip.

Edit: I have just checked the weather and snow is predicted for NW New Mexico and SE Utah. Headed somewhere else tomorrow!

BMW Kurt screwed with this post 04-14-2012 at 06:18 PM
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:55 AM   #70
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloj0 View Post
thanks skinny, perhaps I should rephrase, what I meant to ask was, are there banjercito offices at ALL border crossings?
Some of the smaller crossings don't have a Banjercito office...do a web search...sites like Mexpro and Bajabound usually have a list of all TVIP crossings...
Old 04-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #71
jbeem
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Edit: I have just checked the weather and snow is predicted for NW New Mexico and SE Utah. Headed somewhere else tomorrow!
Kurt,
Do not miss Utah while you're out there. You can't go wrong in any part of the state unless you get homesick for a tree.
03 KLX 400
08 Versys
jbeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #72
BMW Kurt OP
Picture Taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeem View Post
Kurt,
Do not miss Utah while you're out there. You can't go wrong in any part of the state unless you get homesick for a tree.
I'm in Moab now!
Old 04-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #73
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,057
Quote:
I'm in Moab now!

pictures for my bucket list

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #74
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY View Post
You can cancel the TVIP at any border crossing with a Banjercito permit office...it does not have to be the same as your entry point.

Except Tecate.

Office open but no officials that can complete the cancelation paperwork on duty.
Staff apologized and blamed Gov't cutbacks.

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #75
BMW Kurt OP
Picture Taker

Moab

Not really much to report today. I rode from Moriarty, NM to Moab, UT crossing the extreme southwestern tip of Colorado.

I am staying at a hostel called The Lazy Lizard. It is only $26 a night for a private room and the people are really neat to listen to, a bunch of old hippies and social misfits (my kind of people!). The beer here is 3.2%, so there is a lot of drinking with no effect. The folks here call it the 3.2 flu, a lot of peeing and a headache.

Tomorrow I am off to explore Arches National Park or ride Highway 128 along the river.

BMW Kurt screwed with this post 04-17-2012 at 04:23 PM
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote