User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
jcarpenter OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Found the perfect camera -- well almost

I stumbled across the Tachyon biker cam and bought one for a dash cam in my truck and for use on the scoot. Nearly hands off. The power is plugged into the 12V dash plug and the video can record continuously. Here's the cool part - it records videos in 15 minute intervals and automatically overwrites the oldest file when the card becomes full. If you have an uneventful day, just let it overwrite older files. No problems. No hassles. No separate DVR with endless fussing.

http://www.tachyoninc.com/bikercam.php

I was hoping to find this same configuration in a camera with higher resolution and good low-light/night video but so far I'm not having any luck. Any of the other cams have the capability to operate like this?

jcarpenter screwed with this post 04-11-2012 at 12:09 PM
jcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 621
Interesting.

My not so expert opinion. I'm not really seeing the looping benefit. When do you know it's about to overwrite? When it comes to editing, I don't have the time to sort through 16+ gigs of continuous video at the end of a ride. so not sure this would fit my style.

That being said, if your interested in recording the entire day, you could get GoPro and w/their DC charger. Takes the same SD card and offers much better mounting / recording options.
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
jcarpenter OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeselector View Post
Interesting.

My not so expert opinion. I'm not really seeing the looping benefit. When do you know it's about to overwrite? When it comes to editing, I don't have the time to sort through 16+ gigs of continuous video at the end of a ride. so not sure this would fit my style.

That being said, if your interested in recording the entire day, you could get GoPro and w/their DC charger. Takes the same SD card and offers much better mounting / recording options.

The Tacyon records in 15 minute files. When the memory card gets full, it deletes the oldest 15-minute file and starts using that memory. With a 32 gig card, the cam will record about 9 hours before it starts deleting the earliest files. The principle being: You'll know within minutes if you've captured anything worth downloading to the computer. Man, I love it -- if I don't have anything of value to download, just leave it alone to overwrite.

I checked the Go Pro site by did not see any endless loop recording method like this mentioned......
Old 04-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,514
Check out VIO POV cameras,they have the recording features you are looking for.
There is a new HD version,out in the last 6-8 months.

Have seen them at REI,if you are local to a store.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarpenter View Post
The Tacyon records in 15 minute files. When the memory card gets full, it deletes the oldest 15-minute file and starts using that memory. With a 32 gig card, the cam will record about 9 hours before it starts deleting the earliest files. The principle being: You'll know within minutes if you've captured anything worth downloading to the computer. Man, I love it -- if I don't have anything of value to download, just leave it alone to overwrite.

I checked the Go Pro site by did not see any endless loop recording method like this mentioned......
Ah OK, thanks for breaking it down. That would be a nice feature.
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #6
jcarpenter OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR356 View Post
Check out VIO POV cameras,they have the recording features you are looking for.
There is a new HD version,out in the last 6-8 months.

Have seen them at REI,if you are local to a store.

JR356

I downloaded the user manual and a test clip on the HD POV. The video is absolutely superior to anything else I've seen. Simply beautiful.

The downsides are battery-only operation, a DVR-on-a-cable and an awkward loop-record mode. If I got hit by some drunk half-wit, I might not be in physical shape to hit the save button to record the loop. This is not a hypothetical -- at least to me -- I was hosed by a drunk driver and ended up on my back in the middle of the highway in LA. I was not able to move.

Man, if I could get this optics/electronics package in a simplified, small form factor, I'd be in heaven.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #7
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarpenter View Post
I downloaded the user manual and a test clip on the HD POV. The video is absolutely superior to anything else I've seen. Simply beautiful.

The downsides are battery-only operation, a DVR-on-a-cable and an awkward loop-record mode. If I got hit by some drunk half-wit, I might not be in physical shape to hit the save button to record the loop. This is not a hypothetical -- at least to me -- I was hosed by a drunk driver and ended up on my back in the middle of the highway in LA. I was not able to move.

Man, if I could get this optics/electronics package in a simplified, small form factor, I'd be in heaven.
There is a 12v adapter available as an accessory.
http://www.vio-pov.com/products-all/pov-power.html

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
jcarpenter OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR356 View Post
There is a 12v adapter available as an accessory.
http://www.vio-pov.com/products-all/pov-power.html

JR356

Good catch. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:08 AM   #9
coupe1942
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Personally, I would never recommend Tachyon products to anyone, as far as action cams. My 2011 Tachyon XC camera made it to my storage drawer within a couple of months. The originals and the XC are now pulled from what they sell, as best I can tell. The support service was the pits and the cameras were virtually useless for the Vista programming of my computer. The remote control was only useful when held directly in front of the camera. The sound quality of the microphone was almost the worst I have ever heard from an action cam. The rear door snap broke before a year of use, as the pin dropped out of it. The sound transfer from the crappy case material was horrible and the mounts were very limited in their functions.

Still, the newer Tachyon cameras have reverted back to the smaller size as the original macto Tachyon cameras. HD ruined the brand, as they were not really setup to take on that newer mode at the time HD came into vogue. Like say, their support service was the pits. My GoPro HERO, wich is the cheapest of the GoPro line, is a hundred times better than my Tachyon ever was. Tachyon had some great video posted on YouTube, but it had all been professionally done and altered or eidited to show much more than what the typical buyer would ever get. My Tachyon was a gift, but unfortunately, it never held up to what they had promoted on their website. My opinion is only my own and based only on my own experiences with their products, but I'd not recommend them in the future, for sure.

Good luck with your's.

There is a reason Dogs do not live as long as we do. They are your Resume' in Heaven...
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #10
jcarpenter OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe1942 View Post
Tachyon had some great video posted on YouTube, but it had all been professionally done and altered or eidited to show much more than what the typical buyer would ever get. My Tachyon was a gift, but unfortunately, it never held up to what they had promoted on their website. My opinion is only my own and based only on my own experiences with their products, but I'd not recommend them in the future, for sure.

Good luck with your's.

I am pleased with mine for what it is and mainly for the endless loop recording. Low light performance is non-existent and the resolution is so-so. Having said that -- I think it was a step in the right direction. I have made some fairly good vids with it.

A friend tells me that the Drift helmet cam is going to be incorporating endless loop recording. When they accomplish this, I'll pick one up and try it out. It looks like it may have everything in one package -- HD, LCD screen, etc. Hopefully it will have good night performance.

I sure like the specs on the Hero but I have a real preference for cameras that have some aerodynamics involved in the design. It bothers me that the Hero would have the aerodynamics of a brick......