User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #2131
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,828
Justin,
Don't get rid of the MM, I did it last year and just bought it back- you will be sorry!
I had the ultimate stable with a '96 1100GS AND the MM- Unfortunatley, my wife nixed the two bike stable.
I then sold the MM and just had the 1100GS... Found a great deal on a '04 1150GSA and someone wanted the 1100; Now a year later I am back on having just the MM! The GSA was a great touring, but I mostly do fast day ride jaunts and I missed the power, torque and handling of the MM.
If you can, keep the MM and look for a used GS... The older 1100's are GREAT riders and all around bikes and cheap to maintain...
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #2132
ViperJustin
Back in school...

Oddometer: 632
I've been thinking:

Sell the MM and get a GSA? Deal with financing again? (I still owe on the MM)

Or just build my bike up: HPN tank, Renazco seat, etc.

I know I'll miss the MegaMoto if I sell it. It's light, handles well at any speed, cruises at any speed, etc. It's just a great bike. I flip-flop like a politician when it comes to motorcycles.
08 MegaMoto #99529 For sale. PM for details.
ViperJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #2133
Maineroads
Ridgerunner

Oddometer: 831
I felt like I was along for the ride on a GSA. If I wanted to tour, that would be my choice. They don't compare at all.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:00 PM   #2134
Macroenie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJustin View Post
I've been thinking:

Or just build my bike up: HPN tank, Renazco seat, etc.

I know I'll miss the MegaMoto if I sell it. It's light, handles well at any speed, cruises at any speed, etc. It's just a great bike. I flip-flop like a politician when it comes to motorcycles.
IMO a cheaper and more stylish way of adding additional fuel capacity is by implementing one of these.

I do quite like the looks of the new GS(A) but it If I would have a need for longer range this would be my choice because a GS is found on every corner of the street, the MM is one of a kind.
Macroenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #2135
szazbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Dont Sell you MM!

Justin, don’t sell your MM! The reason you are thinking about the GSA is because you did 200 freeway miles on your MM. That will do it every time. That is not what your MM is for and when you get to the “fun” part of the ride it is not as fun as it should be. I have my MM, a RT and a Sport and the bike that gets ridden the least is the RT by far. It is just not as satisfying and does not give me the ear to ear grins that the other 2 bikes do. It does have a purpose, it is the only bike that I have for 2 up, I did a Saddlesore 1000 last year with it, traveled from So Cal to Nor Cal and wore the tires out in 3100 miles trying to pretend it could go through the twisties like the other bikes.
In North San Diego I end up riding the same roads repeatedly because they are the best in the county and I don’t want to travel distances slabbing it with the MM or the Sport. After a while I am jonesing for something different than the usual 200 mile SD County loop.
My solution besides having different bikes was to get a trailer. Awesome is all I can say. I know that the purists will call me a wimp blah blah. Last year with the trailer I went to Nor Cal 3 times and my weapon of choice was the MM. I based myself on one of the trips at Topaz Lake and killed all the passes for 3 days on the eastern side of the Sierras. On another trip I based in Mariposa and played on the little dragon, the western roads into Yosemite and up to Placerville including Wards Ferry Road. On the 3rd trip I went up to Santa Rosa and played on the Lost Coast, through the vineyards, but didn’t make it to Highway 36. Maybe this summer. Yes you need to be aware of the fuel range, but having a GPS that can find fuel stations as a POI has worked for me and navigate to them when needed.
Next weekend I am doing an almost 600 mile weekend starting from Ventura and there is really only about 40 miles of it on freeways. That is because I am trailering to Ventura saving 380 miles of roundtrip boringness. And this ride will also be with the MM. On Memorial and Labor Day weekends it will be back to NorCal again, though I am being tempted to take the Sport.
When I purchased my trailer used for $1000, I insulated it, installed the necessary motorcycle retention devices for 2 bikes an awning and most importantly a fold down couch/bed from the wall. I can travel cheaply sleeping in the trailer, grab a shower at a campground for $2.50 and be good to go for the next day’s adventures. Just my 2 cents worth. Your MM is a rare bike that has no competition and the value is increasing from what I have seen on the market.

szazbo screwed with this post 04-13-2012 at 10:30 AM
szazbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #2136
GSMarc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 985
Quote:
I've been thinking:
If somebody hesitates between a MM and a GSA, he doesn't merit to ride a MM....
2005 HP2E
2005 HP2E SM Prototype
GSMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #2137
hawideri
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Dutch HP2 ride

Hey Macroenie and air-cooled,

I understand that somewhere in May could be an option to meet...so in order to pick a date would 13May be an option? (I prefer a sunny sunday).

A little tour and nice pittstop in the area of Noord-Holland?

if you have a nice suggestion, please share. I normally ride between 020 and 010, but I can go and search the web to find something nice.
hawideri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #2138
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,828
Where do (can) you ride in Holland that has curvey backroads? Is it just the top of the dike roads??? When I ride over there, it seems pretty flat and straight... Can you post some routes or pics???
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:32 PM   #2139
Macroenie
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawideri View Post
Hey Macroenie and air-cooled,

I understand that somewhere in May could be an option to meet...so in order to pick a date would 13May be an option? (I prefer a sunny sunday).

A little tour and nice pittstop in the area of Noord-Holland?

if you have a nice suggestion, please share. I normally ride between 020 and 010, but I can go and search the web to find something nice.
Sounds good to me, the area you mention also, I have seen enough of NH so would like a change in scenery.
Weather plays a major part of course so we'll have to see what May has in store for us.

Cheers
Jeroen
Old 04-13-2012, 11:47 PM   #2140
Macroenie
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankgs View Post
Where do (can) you ride in Holland that has curvey backroads? Is it just the top of the dike roads??? When I ride over there, it seems pretty flat and straight... Can you post some routes or pics???
The roads here just do not compare to yours because our country is just too small to have long curvey backroads.
There are some nice roads in the "Veluwe" area which is a national park, also the dikes along the rivers but alot of them are becomming forbidden for motorcyclist. Friesland near the IJssel lake is nice and there are so many others I could mention. You just have to set your mind to the fact that you can't ride a 100mls curvey back road without much other traffic or cyclist. That is why people here often go to Belgium, Germany, France, Italy to burn some rubber in the mountains.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #2141
ViperJustin
Back in school...

So I test drove a new GS....

Long story short, I'll be keeping the MegaMoto. I didn't notice that much if a difference with the wind buffeting on the hiway. The new overhead cam engine is ridiculously smooth. Almost too smooth! My legs were tucked up more than normal too. I liked the bike, but not enough to sell or trade tHe MM.

They'll have a GSA available for test ride later this week. So we'll see.

Last thing: The dealer even told me not to trade in my MM. He said, and I quote, "Those have been going up in value lately. And I get about one or two inquiries a month."

So that pretty much seals the deal. I'll get a GSA or something later down the road. But I'm still going to take a test ride!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #2142
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 6,024
Quote:
So I test drove a new GS....

Long story short, I'll be keeping the MegaMoto. I didn't notice that much if a difference with the wind buffeting on the hiway. The new overhead cam engine is ridiculously smooth. Almost too smooth! My legs were tucked up more than normal too. I liked the bike, but not enough to sell or trade tHe MM.

They'll have a GSA available for test ride later this week. So we'll see.

Last thing: The dealer even told me not to trade in my MM. He said, and I quote, "Those have been going up in value lately. And I get about one or two inquiries a month."

So that pretty much seals the deal. I'll get a GSA or something later down the road. But I'm still going to take a test ride!
That's good to hear. Both your keeping the bike and the dealer hinting at the rising values of MMs. Course it's all in what its worth to any buyer.

I'm keeping mine long-term as well. I bought it without riding one, and was VERY pleasantly surprised. They are simply incredible. This year I need to sort the front suspension.

Interesting to hear your take on the new GS camhead. I test rode a GSA a few weeks ago and even with the extra weight it had noticeably more 'oomph' than my standard 07 GS. It was a little vibey at the typical 4200-4500 rpm range but below that it was really smooth. I'm being tempted to trade in but that's another story.

1996 M900, 2012 GS 2008 Megamoto 2008 S2R
2006 HP2e
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:11 PM   #2143
ViperJustin
Back in school...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypolack View Post
I bought it without riding one, and was VERY pleasantly surprised. They are simply incredible.
Same here. I saw one in Albuqurque while in gunner school. After that, it was on my mind all the time. I bought mine from San Diego BMW sight-unseen and they delivered it to me here in Las Vegas. Since then, I've been to the North Rim (Grand Canyon), Brianhead Utah, Yosemite NP, Death Valley (about 15 times), and the California Coast (PCH up to From LA to Ft Bragg). The one thing that can really suck on this bike is long stretches of hiway.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:10 AM   #2144
szazbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Anyone looking for a Megamoto?

These are becoming a lot harder to find from what I have been seeing. Hurry if it is what you are looking for. Found this one last night.No Relation to seller
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/mcd/2952379637.html
szazbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #2145
bikecat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypolack View Post
... This year I need to sort the front suspension.
I am not happy with mine. Seems bumpy and jittery at low speeds, but high speed stopping there is no issue. Also I am not using enough of the travel (only about half way). Bike is mostly stock, no upgraded tank so the weight is stock.

Any suggestions? I'll try to increase the rebound and compression, and see how it goes. If that does not work, perhaps I'll tweak with the air gap and the weight of the oil.

Cheers
bikecat is offline   Reply With Quote