ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2012, 01:16 AM   #46
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrd2sea View Post
Bad luck it seems, though debatable.

KTM has no excuse not to take care of its customers, especially for a bike marketed as some tough travel-around-the-world work horse. Where ever the shop happened to be, it's KTM certified/authorised dealer. That ought to mean something.
10 n/m reads the same on the torque wrench what ever language one's using. If it's not torqued accordingly, it's the fault of the KTM service centre in Chile, and ultimately it's KTM's responsibility to stand behind its trained technicians.

Regarding the stories of fixing it on the road or whatever solutions these tough guys/manly men happened to be able to muster at that specific moment, bravo. I don't see a point rubbing it in to a fellow rider who tried to alert us of the misery he experienced.
I agree with you! Because if they stand behind their service network like this, then why would anybody take his bike to a KTM service for lots of $$$, if they (the services) are just not reliable enough?!
Old 01-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #47
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,871
Quote:
Regarding the stories of fixing it on the road or whatever solutions these tough guys/manly men happened to be able to muster at that specific moment, bravo. I don't see a point rubbing it in to a fellow rider who tried to alert us of the misery he experienced.
Not rubbing it in at all, just pointing out that this failure isn't necessarily a trip-ending, super-expensive disaster.

It can be (and has been) fixed easily and cheaply.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #48
minusone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
Not rubbing it in at all, just pointing out that this failure isn't necessarily a trip-ending, super-expensive disaster.

It can be (and has been) fixed easily and cheaply.
Exactly, and having a go yourself can only enhance rider preparation - just as important as bike preparation.
minusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:08 AM   #49
Chrisgray OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Thanks To CJ Designs

I would like to say a heart felt thank you to Craig at CJ designs. He has stepped up and helped me out with the parts I needed. And he has done so at a much cheaper rate than the Aussi distributers.
I was quoted $1700AUD for the parts here in Oz. Craig managed to bundle up the same parts and send them across for a little less than a $1000AUD.
So good on you Craig and thanks again.

Just on the pricing, I noticed an advert on the back of ths months Cycle Torque (Aussi Magazine) that KTM Australia have negotiated a "fair go" for Aussi KTM riders and prices are due to come down. I wonder if that was before or after I was qouted $1700AUD for the parts?
If they are finally seeing sense and realising we can go elsewhere for parts, then it can only be a good thing for the Aussi riders.

Chris
Chrisgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:21 AM   #50
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,937
This is an email I received from Jeff Liesk on the subject in September last year.

Dear Craig,

Your message was passed onto me by the factory and I thought it would be best if I could explain first hand where we are heading with our parts and accessory pricing.

Firstly you are absolutely right our prices have been out of touch with other KTM markets, the reasons for this I would pefer not to ellaborate on but its something we have been trying
to reslove for a long period of time.

As of the 1st of September we have cut our Powerparts and Powerwear pricing by up to 50% on some lines, for spare parts we are currently reviewing prices and will revise certain itmes over the next 6 months,
this is a very pleasing outcome for KTM owners in Australia.

I can certainly asure you that we at KTM Australia have not been happy to see business that should have been ours go offshore, thankyou for your feedback and if you have any other questions I would be very happy to
Answer them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #51
Chrisgray OP
Adventurer

Damaged Part Piccys

Thanks for that Cidema. I do think KTM Australia have fallen short of the mark though.
I am looking into some Akrapovics for my KTM 990. I know they are avaiable in the US for $1300USD + Freight (say $150USD). So I called my australian dealer and enquired. $1900AUD!
When I mentioned the recent advertisement about KTM prices in Australia being brought in line he stated they used to be $4000AUD....UNBELIEVEABLE.
Anyway, I know where I will be buying my parts from in the future but its is always worth doing the check with the local guys..

Here are the pictures of the damaged (in seperate posts becasue I can only make 1 attachement at a time). The Basket has 6 tags missing and all the components were badly scarred. There was lots of metal fines that covered the internals of the casing as a result. I would anticipate that the amount of metal would have blocked the filter and lead to oil going via the by pass which in turn would have flooded my engine with these fines. So I think if it happened to me again and I did have to continue, I would be stopping, removing and cleaning that gauze filter frequently until there was no chance of blockage.
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #52
Chrisgray OP
Adventurer

Damaged Part Piccys

Attached Images

Old 02-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #53
Chrisgray OP
Adventurer

New Piccy

Attached Images

Old 02-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #54
Chrisgray OP
Adventurer

ANother Piccy

Attached Images

Old 02-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #55
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,871
Good grief, that's some significant damage!

How far did you ride after it started rattling?
Old 02-12-2012, 03:12 AM   #56
Chrisgray OP
Adventurer

Damage How Long

Hi
The damaged occured in about 150 meters following the nasty crunch. I pulled in the clutch lever and free wheeled to a stop.
Prior to that, the only warning I had was a couple of gear shifts that didn't fall in smoothly.

Chris
Old 02-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #57
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisgray View Post
Thanks for that Cidema. I do think KTM Australia have fallen short of the mark though.
I am looking into some Akrapovics for my KTM 990. I know they are avaiable in the US for $1300USD + Freight (say $150USD). So I called my australian dealer and enquired. $1900AUD!
When I mentioned the recent advertisement about KTM prices in Australia being brought in line he stated they used to be $4000AUD....UNBELIEVEABLE.
Anyway, I know where I will be buying my parts from in the future but its is always worth doing the check with the local guys..
Actually in scheme of things that is not too bad by the time you add GST and other duties you are probably looking close $1600. $300 difference is well within the ball park.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-27.605021,152.924949
Snet from ym iPohne using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #58
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,337
And the silver lining here is...

Now you've experienced CJDesign's amazing customer service and products. I don't know how he has the time to run his businesses and follow advrider threads like this, build a package with parts options for deferred pricing. And shipping to AUS. CJDesign empitomizes the best of this site.

And you've in essence better prepared the rest of us. So thanks for starting this thread with all this info.

In hindsight, no one should trust any KTM authorized mechanic to know all of the required service work for each individual year of the Adventures. The various years of these bikes have very unique service nuances.

Even though I have my bike serviced with an extremely reputable shop, I speak to my mechanic directly and explain very thoroughly what I want him to check during all my intervals, and repeatedly so.

If I have the luxury of having a shop do service work on my bike, the burden of responsibility for all the related issues is entirely up me, the owner of the bike.

I think that's what KTM is elluding to.

And simple print outs of these threads can be assembled into the owner's manual ( as well as with onroad repair proceedures) for future reference.

Here's one more for the record books...
Old 04-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #59
Knackers
Polishing Turds

Oddometer: 4,783
If I'd read this earlier I could have offered you my spare clutch basket complete (plates, springs etc) that I took off a written off 990 with less than 5000 kms on the clock. It cost me $200 at the time.

I also managed to pick up a brand new pair of Akros when KTM Richmond closed down for $800. Now I'm just bragging.

Point is if you want spare parts keep a lookout on the web for 950/990 being wrecked. Some of the bikes end up at wreckers and as a written off 9x0 is still fairly rare they have no idea about the OEM price on the parts.

It just happened, Max, you know?

A p-p-p-p-piece from here and a p-p-p-piece from there.
Knackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:15 AM   #60
Dirty Hippie
Somewhere in a canyon

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Wow, I thought he was trying to help the rest of us if we happen upon the same situation. Thanks for letting me know he's just a "tough guy". I stay away from that type.
Dirty Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote