Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #3256
onewheeltwo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan View Post
I installed the National Cycle F-16 Touring windshield today.

Mines smoke, the clear looks pretty clean, though.

I found, to get rid of the buffeting, that I needed to make the front of the screen parallel to the front of the headlight. In other words, my shield goes straight up from the headlight mounting bolts, not forward as you have it. YMMV! You might not be able to do that with the crackberry (?) where is is :) But you probably need to stop texting while driving anyway

Outstanding looking bike. Nice of the PO to get it up there for you
onewheeltwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #3257
onewheeltwo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdubb View Post
Thanks for sharing! Have you found out what happened to the dead hawk? Hopefully he's healed.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #3258
onewheeltwo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan View Post
Guys, quick question regarding tire pressure on the NH750...

I have a new set of factory spec tires. I am currently running 29 front, 30 rear. OK for solo?
Should be fine, mine are a few pounds higher.... Measure them hot, they shouldn't increase more than 10% IIRC.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #3259
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewheeltwo View Post
Thanks for sharing! Have you found out what happened to the dead hawk? Hopefully he's healed.
Fortyhourdays had that bike back home and running before I got home.
The problem was the pulse generator, like we thought. I have an 83 650 that had the same problem.
'71 SL 350 - Honda
drdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:28 PM   #3260
Goggles Paisano
AKA Walter Mitty

Oddometer: 1,409
So I rode home from work tonight, pulled into the driveway and went in to get changed out of my gear. I came out to put my '450 pissing gas out of the left carb. I turned off the petcock. Would that be a stuck float? Anyway to un stick a float without taking it off the bike?

If I had to rebuild the carb, I'm guessing that would be a good time to do the washer mod? Never rebuilt a carb, should be innaresting.

Nice bike The Kurgan.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:15 AM   #3261
genespleen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggles Paisano View Post
So I rode home from work tonight, pulled into the driveway and went in to get changed out of my gear. I came out to put my '450 pissing gas out of the left carb. I turned off the petcock. Would that be a stuck float? Anyway to un stick a float without taking it off the bike?

If I had to rebuild the carb, I'm guessing that would be a good time to do the washer mod? Never rebuilt a carb, should be innaresting.

Nice bike The Kurgan.
Some folks have had luck placing the handle end of a screwdriver against the float bowl housing, and giving the other end of the screwdriver a sharp rap with a hammer. I had this problem a few weeks ago, however, and that method didn't work for me--had to pulll and clean the carbs.

Still, worth a try...perhaps in combination with a bit of that Seafoam stuff.

genespleen screwed with this post 04-14-2012 at 06:16 AM Reason: punc
genespleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #3262
kidtwist
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
My first motorcycle was a Suzuki GS500E. I liked it okay, but every time I see a NH 750 I regret that that wasn't my first bike. The only reason it wasn't was that the year I bought my GS500, Nighthawks were only available in black, my least favorite color for a motorcycle (well, other than pink). I could have hunted around for a used one of a different color but I wanted a new bike.

I wish now that I'd gotten a black NH anyway. These days there are other bikes I want more, but a NH would have been a great first bike for me.

This thread won't go away and keeps taunting me: "You could have had a Nighthawk. You could have had a Nighthawk."
kidtwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #3263
Goggles Paisano
AKA Walter Mitty

Oddometer: 1,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by genespleen View Post
Some folks have had luck placing the handle end of a screwdriver against the float bowl housing, and giving the other end of the screwdriver a sharp rap with a hammer. I had this problem a few weeks ago, however, and that method didn't work for me--had to pulll and clean the carbs.

Still, worth a try...perhaps in combination with a bit of that Seafoam stuff.
Yeah, I gave it a gentle tap with a hammer, no dice. This morning I ran the bike with the petcock off until she died; turned on the petcock, no more fuel leak. This is the second time in four years that this carb has done this to me. The joys of an old bike, it's getting incontinent!
Old 04-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #3264
FocusPlayer
Minstrel on a Cycle

Oddometer: 63
Just wanna say that's a very pretty well kept bike. Congratz.
FocusPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #3265
FocusPlayer
Minstrel on a Cycle

Oddometer: 63
Selling my 750 NH

I need to sell my very fun 750 NH - IF any of you are interested in picking one up in East TN, shoot me an email.
m.nunley007@gmail.com

It's in good shape and sporting that Rifle sport fairing and new tank paint.

I can't keep 2 bikes and I'm better off with the plastic lunchbox PC800 for my needs. Smoother - better at highway speed, locking luggage and a much nicer ride for my wife on the back...

I still love the N.H. esp for in-town - but can't keep them both - esp with my um... less than perfect cash in- cash out deal right now.

So -

details on request -

Best,

FP
FocusPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #3266
onewheeltwo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidtwist View Post
I wish now that I'd gotten a black NH anyway. These days there are other bikes I want more, but a NH would have been a great first bike for me.

This thread won't go away and keeps taunting me: "You could have had a Nighthawk. You could have had a Nighthawk."
Need more taunting?

You could still have a black Nighthawk: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782814

Old 04-18-2012, 11:06 PM   #3267
Pica Hudsonia
Super-dupergenius

Oddometer: 142
40,000+ Miles on a Nighthawk 750?

So, I'm thinking about buying a Nighthawk 750 and I keep reading, "these things are bulletproof," and "they run forever," and "so reliable they're boring," etc.

I wanted to find one with low miles in excellent condition... in other words, as close to a new bike as I can get. So far, the best I've found in my area is a '95 with 44k miles behind it. I haven't seen it in person yet, but pictures online make it look pretty nice. The owner says it tipped over and got a few dings and scratches... probably no big deal, but I'll know for sure tomorrow. It's recently had the carbs worked over (new float valves, jets cleaned, and new gaskets), and it has a new chain and new tires.

I think the price is right: $2250 asking price, and I bet he'll let it go for two grand.

My only concern is the mileage. I keep telling myself 40,000 isn't really a lot of miles, and it should go two or three times that far without any issues, but part of me wants to hold out for one 4 or 5 years newer with under 15,000 miles. I'm sure a NH750 like that would be worth closer to three grand--I'm okay with spending that much. Am I better off to pick up the one with more experience for only two thou'?

When people say they run forever and only require minimal attention, does that mean I truly can expect to get 100k out of it (56k more than it has now) before worrying about an engine or trans rebuild?

I can do any minor repairs that come up along the way. Right now I like the idea of a bike I can just ride... change the oil in it every year, replace tires when they wear out, and otherwise not fuss with anything (okay, maybe lube and adjust the chain occasionally)... "reliable as a hammer," as the saying goes.

Feedback is much appreciated.
Pica Hudsonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:10 AM   #3268
Crash-Resistant

Oddometer: 125
Packed over 1,000 miles in the past two weekends.... Virginia is frickin beautiful when you stay off the highway! The bike of course had zero issues. Gotta love that.

Pica - 44k miles is nothing ONLY IF the previous owner treated it like his baby. It really depends. If it was ridden as a cruiser 55mph on backroads, with regular and preventative maintenance, yeah it could probably go hundreds of thousands of miles. But if he was a damn squid, red-lining it all the time then leaving it out in the winter and never working on it, I wouldnt expect 50k out of it.

IMO, how clean it is tends to be a good indicator of the owner's attitude towards the bike. Look carefully. Chains are supposed to be gold in color, not black. The headers are supposed to be shiny. The underside of the pipes should not be rusty. Carbs are supposed to be silver.

If he says he changes the oil every 5000 miles and uses car oil from AutoZone, RUN AWAY QUICKLY!

There are a lot of these things out there, and looking through this thread seeing what people have purchased recently, there are some amazing deals to be had. It seems $500 can be the difference between a clunker and a like-new bike. Personally, I would hold out. But it may be getting harder and harder to find low miles on a bike that stopped production in 2003.

 screwed with this post 04-19-2012 at 06:16 AM
 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #3269
RobbieAG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
There are a lot of these things out there, and looking through this thread seeing what people have purchased recently, there are some amazing deals to be had. It seems $500 can be the difference between a clunker and a like-new bike. Personally, I would hold out.
+1. I would definitely hold out. There are still a lot of low mileage specimens out there. I got my 2002 two years ago with 1k miles on it. That being said, these bikes will definitely go 100k plus if they're well cared for but there's really no way to know for sure. Even if it looks great on the outside, the internal stuff may not have been maintained properly. I would be concerned that there's been carb work done recently too. It may have sat for a while. The price he's asking is not particularly great either for a bike with that many miles.
RobbieAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #3270
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pica Hudsonia View Post

My only concern is the mileage. I keep telling myself 40,000 isn't really a lot of miles, and it should go two or three times that far without any issues, but part of me wants to hold out for one 4 or 5 years newer with under 15,000 miles. I'm sure a NH750 like that would be worth closer to three grand--I'm okay with spending that much. Am I better off to pick up the one with more experience for only two thou'?
Also can depend on who put the 40k miles on... how long has the current owner had it? If he/she put the majority of those miles on chances are pretty good that it was well taken care of. Someone who lets their bike sit usually doesn't maintain it. Ask for the history and see if the documentation supports it.
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote