Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #46
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Boy - I should really be more careful reading posts. Wrong end of your bike1st and the wrong bike 2nd...

Let us know how you like the new ride and how it compares to your 11. One thing I will say about the 12 race- it sure is a pretty bike. GG is doing a nice job these past few years on the look.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:21 AM   #47
Jonny042
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser17 View Post
Boy - I should really be more careful reading posts. Wrong end of your bike1st and the wrong bike 2nd...

Let us know how you like the new ride and how it compares to your 11. One thing I will say about the 12 race- it sure is a pretty bike. GG is doing a nice job these past few years on the look.
Quick report on the new Bike - it's beautiful! Like you said, it's a looker, I really like the black wheels. The graphics are a little "busy" I think but other than that I don't have any complaints.

No real report on the suspension as I didn't even check the adjusters to see where they were, but can say it feels "slow" compared to my '11 with the stiffer rear spring and "stiffened" forks. But then the bouncy bits seem to take a while to break in.

At first ride the formula brakes/clutch lever are a definite upgrade from the AJP and those crappy plastic lever bushings - they look to be very nicely made, and happy to report the front brake has really nice feel and good stopping power. Clutch feels more or less the same. I LOVE the new adjuster setup it is far superior to the last setup - no tools required to adjust reach! I have been buying S3 lever adjusters to solve this problem but the aluminum thumbscrews are easily destroyed and recently gave up on them altogether.

I really like the fact that GG keep moving forward, even if it's just tiny details - for example I always looked at the steel spacers for the footpegs and thought it would make sense to make them out of Aluminum, sure enough these new ones are! There always seems to be a few things like that on a new bike that - that's peanuts I know but it shows they are commited to continuous improvement.
Jonny042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #48
Pro_Marinero
Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,087
This might have been shared already, but I didn't see it after a cursory glance:

GG Suspension Setup
Pro_Marinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:54 AM   #49
Jonny042
Adventurer

Credit for article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro_Marinero View Post
This might have been shared already, but I didn't see it after a cursory glance:

GG Suspension Setup
I'm pretty sure that this writeup was originally posted on the trialspartsusa website and was wirtten by Jon Stoodley (spelling??)

Just giving credit where it's due - it's a great writeup.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:04 AM   #50
Jonny042
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny042 View Post
I haven't got a final price from yet but I am going to guess 300 will do both ends of the bike, give or take a few bucks.

Comparitively speaking that is quite a bit for springs but then like everything else trials related, it is pretty specialized stuff, very specific to the application, and you can't put a price on the added help/advice that comes along with a purchase from someone like Stu.
Stu at Jack's Cycle has been fantastic to deal with, and I can highly recommend that anyone give him a call, ESPECIALLY in regards to the Reiger stuff.

In addition to that both the front and rear springs ended up being CHEAPER than initially suggested. Thanks STU!!!!
Old 04-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #51
mung
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
More springs

When I buy springs that are 10% stiffer I have always assumed[dangerous word that] since springs is plural that to me means that the two together add up to 10% percent. That means that each one is worth only 5%.Use one spring you are 5% stiffer.Use two springs you are 10% stiffer.If you have .40 springs now and get 10% stiffer springs and install both you will have .44 springs.If you install one you will have .42 total spring rate.Normally springs are sold in sets of two for forks.Just something to ponder.
mung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #52
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by mung View Post
When I buy springs that are 10% stiffer I have always assumed[dangerous word that] since springs is plural that to me means that the two together add up to 10% percent. That means that each one is worth only 5%.Use one spring you are 5% stiffer.Use two springs you are 10% stiffer.If you have .40 springs now and get 10% stiffer springs and install both you will have .44 springs.If you install one you will have .42 total spring rate.Normally springs are sold in sets of two for forks.Just something to ponder.
Mung unfortunately I read and asked questions, and I was told (and sorry, it felt that way when I bought them) that they are a (pair) of 10% stiffer springs, for total 20%, if you use both. I cannot tell you much more on how I know, or have been led to believe it, but that is what I believe and would keep telling everyone. Mine came from Adrian at lewisport.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #53
ThrottleJock OP
Shaved Ape

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
Mung unfortunately I read and asked questions, and I was told (and sorry, it felt that way when I bought them) that they are a (pair) of 10% stiffer springs, for total 20%, if you use both. I cannot tell you much more on how I know, or have been led to believe it, but that is what I believe and would keep telling everyone. Mine came from Adrian at lewisport.
Sting I'd tend to agree with you there. I got the same setup (10% springs from Adrian at Lewisport) and they feel much more than 10% stiffer than the stock limp noodle springs I took out. That's a good thing though, because I love it. I've given up some 1mph full-lock slippery condition traction at the front wheel but the improvement it's made in my ability to lunge (hop, levitate, whatever you want to call it... I'm not up on the terms yet) is tremendous. I fear no splatter now. Well, as long as it's not higher than, say, 5 feet. I'm still a newbie. :)
Old 04-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #54
mung
Studly Adventurer

Springs

I will agree to disagree on that point.My Raga came with .30 springs stock.I installed .40 springs for my 250 pounds..30 to .40 is more than 20% stiffer and to me they feel perfect.Plush on the little stuff, stays up in the travel and handles slammers very well.When are we going to meet at FMOH ? Perfect place to try each others theories out.I go there 2 or 3 times a year. It is only a 9 hour drive for me.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #55
laser17
Studly Adventurer

The Equivalent K for 2 springs connected in Parallel (like a fork) is:

Keq=K1+k2

So if you have a .3 K spring in each leg - you have a .6k total.

If you bought 10% stiffer springs - you still have a 10% stiffer total - not 20%
(.33k+.33k)=.66k

Likewise, use only one and you have a 5% stiffer total.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #56
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser17 View Post
The Equivalent K for 2 springs connected in Parallel (like a fork) is:

Keq=K1+k2

So if you have a .3 K spring in each leg - you have a .6k total.

If you bought 10% stiffer springs - you still have a 10% stiffer total - not 20%
(.33k+.33k)=.66k

Likewise, use only one and you have a 5% stiffer total.

Laser, the question at hand is, they "market" them as 10% stiffer spring, sold only in pairs. so each spring seems to be 10% stiffer. which meant to everyone that has bought a pair (since they wont sell just 1 at Lewissports, as far as I know to be 20% stiffer overall...) I weighed up around or over, 280 lbs when I 1st bought and installed the 'pair" and they were too stiff even for me at that weight. Then it was worse, especially when I lost 20 lbs not long after install. I rode it that way for a few months, I then took both springs out of that 08 raga pro, moved only 1 to my 2010 raga pro, and it seems about right. Then I lost another 40+ lbs lbs during the last year. I now weight 210-220 geared up, and one spring is great, yet on stiffer side still. I ended up selling the 2nd spring to a fellow big rider buddy, and he loves it in his 2010 250 Raga...

My point only being a call to Lewissport might be in order to find out for sure! I know that is what the Parts guru around me said they would be, and the 3 or 4 other guys in my club, ordered and split out pairs, seemed to state, that each spring is being about 10% stiffer spring than stock spring.

I want to UP FRONT also state, nothing around me is "perfect world" with respect to memory either, becuase when ANY of the bikes I ride/owned, they were bought new and was "Dad's bike" who is 6' 3" and was also close to 210-215 in weight, hes a litttle less nowdays I think. But, that was 3 or 4 years ago on the 2008 Raga... and we might have added to the spacers for stock springs in the 08, and IF it was, I didnt change them when I added to the 2 springs to that 08 Raga... But, we know he did NOT modify the 2010 shocks at all, so when I got it, it was all stock, I put one in and up until recently I liked it a LOT, but when wet, it is borderline stiff IMHO but doesnt bother me like it did with 2 of them. PS my Raga 08 Raga 300 has aluminum forks, unlike some have steel forks.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #57
laser17
Studly Adventurer

All I can tell you is that if you put a 10% stiffer spring in each leg - you get a 10% overall increase - not 20%, Hence, why they call it a 10% increase. Please feel free to look it up and compare the math with my above example. FWIW: Theres bound to be a difference between mfg's and new vs old springs - so I'll bet if you measured them, it would be different than 10% on the nose.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #58
Jonny042
Adventurer

I think you are both right - the springs aren't 10% stiffer, they are 20% stiffer - I've ridden a bike with a set of the lewisport springs and it was stiff for sure, definitly 20% at least.

I think the confusion must have originally been if they were sold as 10% each for a total of 20% or something. Well that's silly. You mean if I put a 10% stiffer spring on the back I'm up to 30%??

Old 05-01-2012, 07:20 AM   #59
laser17
Studly Adventurer

I agree - the 10% fork springs feel alot stiffer than 10%. - Im not sure why. My 20% rear spring felt like a leaf spring from a dump truck as well (at 1st). I can assure you though, on paper, when you increase 1/2 of the spring force by 10% (one spring), the total spring force goes up by 5%. Throw that out the window if the guy making the springs and the guy selling them are on different pages. Thats probably yours and Stings point - so I agree with you.

However, You can find the exact difference if you really want. Put a weight on each spring and measure the change in length. A 10% stiffer spring "SHOULD" have a 10% smaller change in length.

Speaking of springs - did you install your new spring on the Reiger? One of our best riders here just swapped the Sachs shock on his Beta for a Reiger and he says its the best $1100 bucks he's ever spent. (its the one with H/L comp and rebound adj) He was letting others try his bike with a warning that they should decline unless there ready to spend $1100. Im glad he likes it some much as he's a great rider as well as a super nice guy who helps alot of riders here improve there skills.

laser17 screwed with this post 05-01-2012 at 12:22 PM
Old 05-02-2012, 07:51 AM   #60
mung
Studly Adventurer

More springs

Spring rate has nothing to do with "feel". It has everything to do with math. My Raga came with .30 springs stock.If I put one 10% stiffer spring in the total spring rate increase for both fork legs is to .315.[.30+.33 divided by 2].If I put two 10% stiffer springs in I would end up with a rate of .33.[.33+.33 divided by 2]. Yes, I do feel better now.