Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 06:49 AM   #3076
antpatterson
XR650L_High_Runner

Oddometer: 378
Anyone have experience with the flatlands skid plate for the the 450? I just spent $1200 on parts and accessories for my XR650L and XCRW450 and the skid plate from flatlands was far cheaper than Moose Racing or KTM.
XR80r
2008 XCRW450
antpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #3077
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermofo View Post

What are you guys running tire wise for DS use? I'll be riding some single track, double track, forest service roads, with some tarmac thrown in. I'm in GA so trails will be dirt/mud with some rocks. I'm willing to trade some off road performance for some on road performance and durability but I do want an off road oriented tire. From the searching I've done Dunlop D606 keeps coming up. Is that the consensus?

HM

I currently have the Michelin AC10 set mounted and like them. They are non-directional too. Cannot speak for durability since I have only had them on for about 100 miles. They do seem to handle well for the two trail rides I have done with them. Previously had Pirelli XCMH rear and MT21 front which worked ok as well. I've always liked Pirellis for DS use.
Bungholio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #3078
braymond
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Hi Everyone - just added a new to me '11 530 to the garage! I've been reading through this thread and very much appreciate all those that have contributed their knowledge!! It has been very helpful as I get to know my new bike.

What are you guys running tire wise for DS use? I'll be riding some single track, double track, forest service roads, with some tarmac thrown in. I'm in GA so trails will be dirt/mud with some rocks. I'm willing to trade some off road performance for some on road performance and durability but I do want an off road oriented tire. From the searching I've done Dunlop D606 keeps coming up. Is that the consensus?

Can anyone recommend a good spring rate calculator that works well with our bikes? Just use racetech?

Thanks!

HM

Definitley go with the Pirelli MT43. I've ran the 606 on the rear and did not get more than 300 miles out of it. The MT43 has over 500 miles on it(100 miles road and 400 offroad) and still over half the tread left. Plus the hook up on the tire is insane in steep rocky conditions.
braymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #3079
WVa Dualsport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Hi Everyone - just added a new to me '11 530 to the garage! I've been reading through this thread and very much appreciate all those that have contributed their knowledge!! It has been very helpful as I get to know my new bike.

Can anyone recommend a good spring rate calculator that works well with our bikes? Just use racetech?

Thanks!

HM
Enduro Engineering has a spring rate calculator on their web site (also avail on KTM-PARTS.com..that's where I found it). It lists the correct oem spring rates. Last time I checked Racetech's calculator had the wrong oem spring rates listed for the '08 + 450/530's
Old 04-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #3080
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,017
Shameless plug for anyone looking for a licence plate adaptor for their KTM, I just finished my final version of my "Twist-A-Plate" for the KTM's with a Euro LED Tailight assy. Link to vendor thread here: CLICK HERE

Rotate your plate from the vertical position to the horizontal position within seconds.

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE

kaia screwed with this post 04-14-2012 at 11:57 PM Reason: fixed your vendor thread link for you. :)
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #3081
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,730
Hey guys been looking for a frame but haven't found anything yet, hoping to find one here.

I need an 08 530exc frame with a clear title.

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #3082
Hypermofo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:

Thanks!

HM
Thanks everyone for the input... any votes for geomax or tractionator?
Old 04-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #3083
silverboy
Bunny

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy View Post
Shameless plug for anyone looking for a licence plate adaptor for their KTM, I just finished my final version of my "Twist-A-Plate" for the KTM's with a Euro LED Tailight assy. Link to vendor thread here: CLICK HERE

Rotate your plate from the vertical position to the horizontal position within seconds.

Hodakaguy

Does it come with the plate?

Steve Mcqueen
silverboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #3084
Hockeygod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Thumb Problem + Passion + Inventiveness = a solution!

Hodakaguy,

Nice work. I love it when someone becomes driven to 'build a better mousetrap' and then actually carries through with it. Many people do a lot of talking or bitching or dreaming, but hardly ever 'get 'er done'!

A tip of the hat to you, sir. Well done! Best of luck marketing and selling them!
Various mountain and road bikes

No his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is...
Hockeygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #3085
KTM Explorer
Dirt Whore

Oddometer: 194
Bad gas?`

Bad gas? 5 month old gas (Nov, Dec Jan Feb March) and bike will only run on full choke - she pops and doesn't sound happy. AIn't gonna ride er until she sounds better.

Drain and refill with new premium? I had added a bit of StaBil last time she went out on a big ride Nov 5th -
KTM Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #3086
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Bad Gas

A dose of Sea Foam to your gas tank might help-----sounds like a plugged pilot jet or pilot circuit.
Deseret Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #3087
Hypermofo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
oil filter

Are you guys changing filters with every oil change? Or every other?
Old 04-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #3088
Kiwi Bush Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Are you guys changing filters with every oil change? Or every other?
Every 1 for me no need to be half pie about it Filters are a dime a dozen they have reusable 1's now I haven't tried 1 of those yet
Kiwi Bush Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:49 AM   #3089
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Simple and gooder

Hodakaguy,

you once again have come up with a simple solution to a problem for lots of folks. And again it is very clean and functional. Nicely done.

Now what tire is that on the rear of the picture bike? It looks like a trials type tire.

On another note for the rest of the inmates...

I just finished a weekend of riding in the Mena, AR area and we spent the second day out on Fourche mtn pounding rocks like good inmates. Thumbs up to Dagwood for some advice on trails besides Wolf Pen Gap. We rode all of Wolf Pen too. The orange tractor did great as yo would expect. I found some things that need to be made "more gooder". The stock Kickstand started to crack and my fuel amount needs to be enhanced a bit. So I ordered a PMB kickstand and the Clockworks tank is due in any day now. It just did not make it before the trip.

The last thing that needs resolution is the seat height. I have carved about 2 inches out of the seat which helped greatly and I know I need to re-spring the rear as well. Without my gear a depress the rear 4.5 inches and the pre-load collar is down almost 2" on the shock body.

Here is my thinking... I get all my gear on and measure it again. Then if I order the right spring rate I should not have to add as much preload which will allow the bike to ultimately be lower?

I think it may be flawed somewhere. I need to order a spanner to deal with the pre-load nut so I figure I may as well order the right spring at that time too.

Thoughts? Concerns?
08' 530 EXCR, 09' Yamaha FZ-6 and dreaming of a new bike
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:15 AM   #3090
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyjohnny View Post
Without my gear a depress the rear 4.5 inches and the pre-load collar is down almost 2" on the shock body.
The correct way to determine spring rate is by race sag vs. static sag. The bike should be about 105-108mm into the stroke with all your gear on, in a central position, and about 35mm into the stroke under just the weight of the bike.

If the two measurements are too close together (correct race sag, too much static sag, or correct static but too little race) you have too stiff a spring. Too far apart, vice versa. The bike ships with a 7.2, many folks will want a 7.6 or even an 8.0, at which point you may want to look at going to .48 or. 50 in the forks as well.

It amazes me how many folks don't pay close attention to preload/ ride height, the bike is a completely different animal in a 20mm range of sag (more sag = more push, less sag = better turn in but less stability). To prove it to yourself, take a flat dirt parking lot, make a little course of turns, and run it repeatedly at different sag settings. You WILL be able to tell a difference!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote