User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
jseurkamp OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Asking the right questions

I'm fairly new to the wonderful world of GS's. And what a wonderful world it is. I am currently helping a buddy find a used 1150GSA. I need to know the right questions to ask when buying used. Something other than, "does it run real good". What are some things I need to know. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks
jseurkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseurkamp View Post
I'm fairly new to the wonderful world of GS's. And what a wonderful world it is. I am currently helping a buddy find a used 1150GSA. I need to know the right questions to ask when buying used. Something other than, "does it run real good". What are some things I need to know. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks
i would ask how many owners did it go through, does it have a service record or where it was serviced, what kind of oil was used and does it burn any, anything been replaced like clutch,final drive and so on.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
gratefulJED
long strange tripper

Oddometer: 1,834
Funny you should ask. I helped my friend and I thought I helped him find the perfect bike, it even had new tires. When his rear wheel nearly sheared off from losing a couple of bolts a few hundred miles into the ride home I felt really bad. It turned out the seller was so fat he never got on his knees and torqued the bolts. So be sure to ask the age and size of the seller Age is important cause it shows maturity. Beemer owners are a nerdy bunch - maybe JJ wants to sell his bike! Ask if the owner wrenches himself which can be good - may or may not have records. Obviously if it gets wrenched on at the dealer you have that. Ask the owner if he knows the BMW forums. Also tell the owner you don't know shit about these bikes and he might just spend the rest of the night talking about them - or not even another minute. Don't buy from him. Get pics pics pics and be nice about asking for more and every detail. The angry old fart I bought my last bike from claimed "internet unsavvy" to get out of sending pics. Lets just say I wished I had a return ticket on that one! Get a lot of farkles - the more the merrier - they are pricy and worth little in resale. Seat for one. Windscreen, exhaust, cases. Throttlemeister, lights, New battery, cam chain tensioner left side, clutch spline, hall sensor, fuel pump. Metal gas tank disconnects, stock shocks can be gone by 40k, brakes, cables, - if it still has the charcoal cannister you might have an unmolested bike - go to the how at the bottom of your advrider screen for lots of great info. the folks over at internet bmw are aficionados and there are some great bikes for sale, as well as this site. Ebay is good too. Craigs helper will find you one. Most importantly, go to those sites (except ebay) and put a want to buy ad - that is pretty much the way I find everything. good luck - the looking is half the fun!

gratefulJED screwed with this post 04-12-2012 at 09:39 PM
gratefulJED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
Ua the Destroyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Check this post. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...85&postcount=6
Ua the Destroyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:38 AM   #5
gratefulJED
long strange tripper

Oddometer: 1,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ua the Destroyer View Post
nice adv ice - you should be good to go
Old 04-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,662
http://verrill.com/moto/kbikebuyingguide.shtml
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #7
aGremlin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
Don't have anything specific to the 1150GS, no experience.

In general, service history is most important to me, and the sellers attitude. To me, BMW owners fit into two categories. Those after the status and only ride it a little, the others incredibly passionate, bought it to really use it etc.

Find out where that seller lies, and hopefully it points you to the condition of the bike.
aGremlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:46 AM   #8
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by aGremlin View Post
Don't have anything specific to the 1150GS, no experience.

In general, service history is most important to me, and the sellers attitude. To me, BMW owners fit into two categories. Those after the status and only ride it a little, the others incredibly passionate, bought it to really use it etc.

Find out where that seller lies, and hopefully it points you to the condition of the bike.
Thing is, you can still have four different outcomes.
A poser who cares and takes care of his bike at the dealer...and the one who lets it rot in the garage.
The passionate rider who beats the crap out of his bike with minimal service...and then there's Paul Glaves.
It can run the entire spectrum.
Buyer be ware and be observant in the garage.
Take tons of pics of the close up detail stuff for later reference.
The aluminum panniers on the 1150's are very good, if you can find them.
Good luck.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote