User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012, 01:02 AM   #1
raffexpat OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Sea crossing to Norway

I am planning a trip for June or July this year to Norway and was told Denmark is the nearest place to get to for Christiansand from UK.

I am happy to go commercial ferry or private hire if that is an option. Anyone know anyone who knows anything about getting to norway by sea
raffexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
yorkie08
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Give this a try, not used it myself but i've made enquires about the Gothenburg crossing and sounds ok,

Dave
yorkie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
Stinja
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I've done Harwich to Esberg (embarrassingly in a cage) , and there was a good couple of dozen bikes. Three big groups and a few single/couples, good chaps.

http://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/ferry-r...ch-to-esbjerg/

It's an overnight trip, and you must get a cabin too. After that it's an easy drive over to Sweden (a couple more tolls / short ferries), then presumably you'd drive to Gothenburg and onto Norway.

The ferry is unsurprisingly expensive, good steaks, decent beer (no ale), breakfast is well overpriced. I'd bring some food to snack in your cabin, and splash out on a steak for dinner.

Edit: Oh, and watch out for Danish petrol stations: some only take certain cards, and both my Barclays cards wouldn't work on their machines. Bring cash in case!

Stinja screwed with this post 03-21-2012 at 02:32 PM
Stinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
ringdichtung
n00b

Oddometer: 3
If you're doing Harwich - Esbjerg you can get a ferry from Hirtshals to Kristiansand for about 35 euro, skipping out on 500km or so of Sweden.

I'm planning a similar trip in a couple of weeks, had originally planned to go straight up from Frankfurt but instead taking a minor detour via Wales; rather than take the Harwich ferry I'm taking the Dover ferry to Dunkirk and riding up to Hirtshals over a couple of days. Time is in better supply than money for me though
ringdichtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
martīn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffexpat View Post
I am planning a trip for June or July this year to Norway and was told Denmark is the nearest place to get to for Christiansand from UK.

I am happy to go commercial ferry or private hire if that is an option. Anyone know anyone who knows anything about getting to norway by sea
Iīm from Denmark, and grew up not that far from Hirtshals. There is a ferry daily to Kristiansand, operated by Colorline. The price is anywhere from approximately 300 dkr - 500 dkr. Without knowing it, I reckon the price goes up the later you order and the closer to the weekends you choose to go. The trip is 3 hours and 15 minutes.

If you have a visa or any of the major cards, you should be just fine at the petrolstations :-)
I donīt know what bike you are riding, but if you want some fun at the beach, thereīs plenty of opportunities for that, itīs even legal some places, like here: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=da&rl...-8&sa=N&tab=wl
(Where the pointer says A)
Have a nice trip and let me know if you need help with anything.

Martin
martīn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,352
I rode up to North Cape a few years ago. The first three days were getting from central France to Copenhagen and from there to Oslo I took the overnight ferry to get some rest. It left in late afternoon and arrived Oslo the next morning. Dinner was great, nice smooth sailing and the last hour or so was through the beautiful channel to Oslo. Copenhagen is a really nice town, the locals are ever so friendly, and there are many sites to visit. Worth the detour IMO.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
pingvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Mainly for lorries...but you could give it a try

http://freight.dfdsseaways.com/dfds_...ngham_ferries/
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
pingvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #8
BikeLugger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingvin View Post
Mainly for lorries...but you could give it a try

http://freight.dfdsseaways.com/dfds_...ngham_ferries/
Good link thanks, I've just had a response from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMMINGHAM/NORWAY information PDF
Information for Passengers on Freight Vessels
Thank you for enquiring about the service to Norway, from Immingham. Here are some details to assist you.
We have two sailings between Imm-Norway each week as per the enclosed schedule.
Advance bookings are accepted but please note our vessels are working freight ships and priority is given to freight drivers and their vehicles. We also reserve the right to alter schedules and vessels or transfer to alternative sailings if this should become necessary. It is therefore important to contact this office prior to departure to confirm sailing and bookings times. This should be done between 1500 hrs and 1700 hrs one full working day prior to departure.
The fare is as per the attached tariff.
If after booking and paying for your tickets you cannot sail, we offer a full refund on your ticket, subject to cancellation. Please also note that we can only accept payment either by cash or credit card. We can only accept payment in the form of a cheque if received sufficiently in advance to enable clearance of funds. All enquiries and payments should be made between 0900 hrs and 1700 hrs Monday to Friday.
Should you require further assistance please do not hesitate to contact our booking department:
Tel:
Fax:
E Mail:
Our details are also available on our website at www.dfdstorline.com
01469 552698
01469 552691 imm-norbookings@dfdstorline.com

One Way Fares

Berth in a 2-Berth Cabin
Adult Ģ180

Motorcycle Ģ60

Port tax Ģ4
Admin Fee Ģ30

Meals are included, Drinks are not.

Bookings subject to change or cancellation without notice
Should Bunker costs increase substantially during 2011, we reserve the right to add surcharges accordingly.
Conditions of Carriage as per DFDS Seaways A/S - details available on request
DFDS Tor Line

Immingham - Norway
Departure/Arrival -
Wed 0500 / Thur 2200
Sun 0400 / Mon 0700

Norway - Immingham
Departure/Arrival -
Mon 1800 / Wed 2200
Fri 0300 / Sat 0400

Email them for the original PDF

Save $5 with SmugMug, voucher code - mwllJmqM2Vgzo

BikeLugger screwed with this post 04-15-2012 at 11:30 AM Reason: because....
BikeLugger is offline   Reply With Quote