Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #256
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcagiva View Post
It's all good.

I understand how things can go sideways down there. Just putting it out there. We will help you guys if we can when we can.

-John
John, looking forward to sharing this grand adventure with you and your team and helping each other whenever possible. If a race should break out at some point, that will just be an added bonus.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #257
gs211
Adventurer wannabe!!

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Paul: "word word f-bomb word f-bomb word f-bomb f-bomb word."

Luke: "....".

Repeat.

BP
Sounds like someone that really knows OC!!
gs211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:03 PM   #258
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs211 View Post
Sounds like someone that really knows OC!!
I have no F-bomb idea what you A-holes are squawking about
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #259
gs211
Adventurer wannabe!!

Oddometer: 63
Spent some time with OC today and met Rick (LC Garage) doing last minute adjustments on the bike. It was great meeting Rick and being able to look the bike over. Looks like she's just about ready to go south
gs211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:44 AM   #260
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Well the final countdown is activated!

Luke came down yesterday to wrap up the electrical. The bike now has more street-legal(esque) equipment on it than it has ever have had since I've owned it!!

Cyclops Motorsports had given us one of their amazing Penetrator 610 race lights to use. Unfortunately, we have so much stuff on our "dash" and front of the bike, that it was getting awfully crowded and it was going to be a challenge to mount up the 610. "No Problem," said Darryl from Cyclops on Wednesday, "we'll get you whatever you need." On Thursday morning, I had two new LED's in different beam patterns sitting on my porch.

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.co...roducts&id=136

While these don't have the crazy lighting power of the Penetrator 610, these little lights were going to mount up great and weigh less than a pound. The fact is, last year I ran with one small LED. The rules require a headlight, and on the Mexican roads it is nice to be seen. These two lights put out tons of light to allow us to be able to drive at night at a speed that a bunch of slow racers are willing to ride a 40 year old bike at night in Mexico!!

Also, their low wattage won't be putting a strain on our charging system.

It's fun watching Luke do his thing...and I am forever grateful that we have an electrical engineer on our team Here he is figuring out how he is going to wire up the lights and horn to the switch.

Lonnie and Luke discuss fabricating the bracket to mount the lights up

The lights mounted up...we have them so we'll run one full time, two if/when we get caught at night. And the old SL has a working horn graciously donated from Lonnie's 1980 Honda XL500

I'm pretty happy with where we are with the bike. Last week my buddy Jon (gs211) brought us by another new chain so we mounted that up and will pack the other one as our spare. Rick was also down last week and he tuned the bike, checked the valves, the jetting, the timing, the points and got her running sweet. The only thing left to do is to sync the carbs which I will be doing this weekend.

All in all the bike is ready to race!! Now to just pack up the spares and tools....

The bike was looking ready when I closed down Lonnie's shop at 11 pm:

more to come......

Well, well, well.....look at what arrived from AXO Sport and Atomic Moto!!

I guess we'll have to open the boxes and do a little fashion show this weekend when Rick and Paul Jr. get down here for the final push on Sunday. Luke will be racing all weekend..we'll have to wait til Monday to see him all gussied up!!

Only one week to go!!
Old 04-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #261
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 683
New Gear

Paul,

You have done an amazing job pulling everything together, and I'm super pumped about the new gear. The last few days I have been reflecting on my early days in racing, when the only thing that mattered was getting to the track and racing, and if you didn't have money for food or even gas to get home, so be it. Having brand new gear supplied to us via the generosity of our sponsors is a big deal and I am very thankful to Atomic Moto & AXO, as well as our other key sponsors Konflict & Cyclops. A big thanks to all our sponsors!
Old 04-20-2012, 08:04 AM   #262
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,776
Looking good!

Last year were most bikes finished each day in daylight? Still trying to get a sense of how long the days are going to be. Good lights are critical when things go wrong!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #263
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
Looking good!

Last year were most bikes finished each day in daylight? Still trying to get a sense of how long the days are going to be. Good lights are critical when things go wrong!
LOL, I have no idea how many other bikes finished in the dark...but if we encounter even the slightest issue that slows/stops our progress, we'll probably be in the dark..at least on the last transits of the long days.

Obviously we don't want to ride at night...and I would say that all of you guys on modern bikes and the really fast guys on any older bikes will probably be off the course before dark.

I just hope the race starts at the right time and we can maintain good forward progression the entire day, every day.

For us its about doing our best, and keeping the bike and ourselves in working condition! But I do realize that we will have to push it when we can so the next rider is less likely to be in the dark.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:03 AM   #264
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Beautiful day at the beach..

Today was a beautiful day on the Oregon Coast...it was at least 70 degrees! After going to a funeral, which was a heartbreaking thing, I decided I needed a ride. I pulled the trusty V-strom out of the garage, and of course she started right up. I'm not going to get into a big discussion about adventure-esque bikes, but I will tell you now that a Suzuki V-strom 650 is one damn reliable, dependable bike. It is there when you need it, even if you neglect it for 6 months!

I put on my new AXO Norstar boots and thought, what better way to break them in than going for a ride. I threw on an old leather jacket and headed over to Lonnie's. I pulled into his driveway and he came out. Lonnie used to have a V-strom but when business got slow, he had to sell it. He gets to use mine when ever he wants, so he is always happy to see it!

I got off and he came out, obviously working on some sign or vinyl graphic.

I said, "You ready to go for a ride?"

He said, "On What?"

I said, "This," pointing to my V-strom. "Your gonna chase me, I want to get that new chain on the SL stretched out a bit."

"Sure," he said, "let me get dressed."

I told him to take his time because I wanted to sync the carbs real quick, which I did. After some quick adjustment, the SL was sounding great. We headed off north up the coast...I told him lunch was on me! We got off 101 and took an alternate route which has some pretty nice curves and just enough gravel to keep you paying attention

The SL was running stronger than ever! I mean that. Those two fresh pistons and rings, the tune-up and adjustment by Rick last weekend...I don't know..but it was singing. At one stop, Lonnie told me he was really pushing it to keep up with me This is with the SL with Maxxis Desert IT knobbies at less than ideal air pressure for sure (I guess I should have checked that first). I'm sure he was just boosting my ego. Thanks Lonnie

We ended up in Manzanita where I had a clam basket and a beer, and Lonnie just had a beer. Apparently he had already eaten..so he was a cheap date, which was nice, since I was buying.

When we came out, a guy started asking questions about the SL and was very interested. I told him about the upcoming M1K and that by this time next week, this bike would be in tech inspection for a 1200 mile race down the Baja Peninsula. He asked if I had ever heard of the Desert 100 in Odessa? I told him I just raced it a few weeks ago on this very bike, and it had raced last year too, but I had lost to a guy named Captain Odessa on a TS185 with ape-hangers and a blow-up doll riding bitch. But this year I placed 9th in my class out of 20 and no comic book characters or dead celebrities beat me this year (damn you Elvis D100 2010). Alright a chicken probably bested me in '12, but I ain't saying either way.

I switched bikes with Lonnie and we headed up to Neakahnie Mt. for a photo op...of course, Lonnie had to take the SL off on some dirt road just to "get a feel for it." He came off that road with a smile and we parked at an overlook and he fussed with his number plate creation while I snapped a few photos with my cell phone.

In this one you get a nice look at Cyclops' LED lights we hooked up!

And of course their sticker on prime real estate on the tank!!

Also, after reading some of the concerns over at the Mexican 1000 thread on ADV, and that fact that we'll probably get protested about something this year we decided to add the two letter designation to our number plate to make sure we were technically correct.

Of course, Lonnie had his own little artistic rendering on what that should look like....so you British car fans should be pretty happy...

I rode the bike back hard...and tried to keep Lonnie on his game!! We stopped in at Prevailing Communications and spoke with our man Tim Roach. He is getting our chase vehicles and bike set up with radios just like he did last year...and it appears all is good to go! He was impressed with the bike and sat on it for a little while...I was using my phone as an ipod by this time and forgot to snap any photos!

We got back to Lonnie's shop and put the bike inside. Everything worked better than I had hoped and nothing rattled loose! The motor is stronger than ever and I am feeling very good about it. I think Jr., Rick and Luke are going to just love riding this thing next week!

It was just a 62 mile highway shakedown cruise, but it was just what the doctor ordered. I put the SL back on the stand and heading home for the night, and left the V-Strom for Lonnie while I'm in Mexico...

Tomorrow, we're having a little gathering and OSR Team Meeting at Lonnie's to get the bike buttoned up and all of the little things taken care of. We'll be issuing the rider's gear and taking a few photos...so expect another update soon. I am really looking forward to this vacation from work, and the fun that we will be having hanging out together, racing and wrenching in Mexico!

oregoncoast screwed with this post 04-22-2012 at 12:14 AM
Old 04-22-2012, 05:20 AM   #265
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,522
Outta Sight
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:21 AM   #266
HalfFast
Double Secret Pit Ninja

Oddometer: 251
Looks really good Paul. I love the classic MG logo. We have to squeeze some letters on our number plates since I think ours are lacking them. Thanks for the graphic reminder!
See you in Mexicali
L

2012 2nd place NORRA Mexican 1000
2013 1st place NORRA Mexican 1000
HalfFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #267
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Today was our last push for bike preparations. I was hoping to have a nice big reveal for the OSR riders of their sweet AXO Trans Am riding gear..but Luke had two races this weekend, and Paul was driving over from Coeur d'Alene and didn't arrive until late. So, it was only Rick that got to pull up to Lonnie's and see this waiting for him:

Needless to say, good ol' Racer Rick was sure happy to get his swag!!

OSR Doc Alex and his lovely wife, daughter and of course, Larry the Bassett arrived, but his family all left before I could snap a photo.

Doc Alex stayed for a few hours and we were able to review the plan for his duties as our "dispatcher" this year. Alex also reminded me and Rick about keeping ourselves healthy and hydrated during the race.

Then, Rick and Alex spent some quality OSR man-time alone near Lonnie's van Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Damn! Rick is a good looking man...maybe it's just those AXO Boots! Ok, Alex was actually checking on Rick's shoulder since he injured it at the Desert 100. Alex had some great advice and it was great to see him. He will be missed this year..but we will be texting him daily, so it will be like he is there with us.

Soon the place was buzzing, my friends Jon, Jim and Gary showed up to hang with the gang.

Jon (gs211 here) is a sponsor and a big supporter of OSR.

And of course, Gary is our own vintage certified Honda Technician who rebuilt the SL for us this year and helped get her ready for the big race. Of course, if the motor blows, Gary will be disavowed and all of his photos promptly removed from this website

Here's Christa (NoPo Chicken) and Lonnie talking about something moto related, right before Christa threw something at me for snapping a pic!

And then Allan and Rick mounted up some rear tires...

Allan also took some photos for our website and...which I hope I'll be able to share once they are up

BTW, it is still very much under construction, but our website is currently online, thanks to Richy (ABritOnMaui)

Thanks so much Richy for all of your help getting the site up and running!!

www.outtasightracing.com

oregoncoast screwed with this post 04-22-2012 at 10:24 PM
Old 04-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #268
Motomuffin
CSMC

Oddometer: 539
Old 04-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #269
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,955
Site looks great!! You guys have really done a great job. Totally stoked for you.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #270
azcagiva
new orange flavor

Oddometer: 1,137
Shit!!

Now I gotta build a website

Just kidding.

-John