Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 12:31 PM   #121
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by green hell View Post
the new nbcsports coverage really cuts quite a bit out of the qualifying rounds. three minutes here, three minutes there...
I wish they hadn't cut Lindy Thackston. I thought she was pretty good.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #122
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewismedlock View Post
I'm just thinking out loud. The must be some reason Honda went the single route, while Lotus and the bow tie went with two.
here's a pretty good tech-talk regarding the turbo set-ups.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...rbo-tech-talk/

edit: that's not as helpful as i was thinking.

needless dickery

green hell screwed with this post 04-15-2012 at 12:43 PM
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #123
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,208
I recall reading that the single turbo (better top end HP) would be a benefit at Indy, whereas the twin turbo (better torque) should excell at the road courses.
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #124
green hell
yawning or snarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by viajero View Post
I recall reading that the single turbo (better top end HP) would be a benefit at Indy, whereas the twin turbo (better torque) should excell at the road courses.
that sounds about right. i can't seem to find a ton of detail on the setups.

looks like newgarden saw the red mist. briefly. would have been a brilliant pass.

needless dickery
Old 04-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #125
green hell
yawning or snarling

there's that aggression we've been missing.

needless dickery
Old 04-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #126
wxwax
Excited Member

Well, they ended the race the way I thought they might run it: hairpin blocked by wipeouts.

It's indecent how much better the Chevy is. Amazing that Will power could make his last pit stop before Sato, and yet it was Sato who had to save fuel. Something's up with that.

Pretty decent action for a road course.

I think Andretti was at fault in his wreck. Even before Rahal said it, I thought his abrupt shift was the result of Andretti hitting him in the rear. I'd slo-mo'd it on my DVR several times. Personally, I'm not a fan of Andretti. I think he's a bit of a brat.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #127
Wallace
Seat belt tight babe?

Oddometer: 829
Despite all the slow bulging ugliness crapwagon 2 still wants to fly?

http://
Old 04-16-2012, 07:26 AM   #128
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post

I think Andretti was at fault in his wreck. Even before Rahal said it, I thought his abrupt shift was the result of Andretti hitting him in the rear. I'd slo-mo'd it on my DVR several times. Personally, I'm not a fan of Andretti. I think he's a bit of a brat.

I thought that too, I couldn't figure how the announcers were missing that.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #129
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,208
I see it a bit differently. As the commentators said, Rahal reacted to the passing attempt by Andretti by moving his car to the right, when the circumstances should have had him keeping his line, or even moving more to his left for the upcoming corner and the braking zone. This movement caught Andretti out , as it was not a "normal" racing move, imho.

FWIW, I have slept in many Holiday Inn Expresses and have raced SCCA.
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #130
wxwax
Excited Member

I agree there was an initial move to the right. Perfectly legal to make one move to defend his position, as far as I know. The bit we're talking about, I believe, is his abrupt second move to the right. That was caused by Andretti running into him, in my opinion.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #131
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,306
Looked to me like Andretti simply made a very aggressive move with no margin for error. When Rahal jinked slightly right (for whatever reason - he says he was reacting to something in front of him), Marco was hung out to dry. Racing incident in my book.

Andretti's behavior afterwards was the usually PO'd race driver who thinks everybody else is always at fault when there is typically plenty of blame to spread around. Somewhat bratish, but not unusual.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #132
green hell
yawning or snarling

i watched it about a half dozen times on the dvr, but i don't have that single-frame-by-single-frame granularity, so i really just ended up slightly more confused than when i started. depending on where i started, it looked like one or the other.

chevy clearly has honda and lotus by the balls. power had those laps where he overtook and pulled away, then settled in, then lit it up again. lotus i can see being that far back, but honda has seemingly misjudged this pretty badly.

sato should have been on the podium.

and kanaan's run was just fabulous.

needless dickery
Old 04-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #133
lewismedlock

Oddometer: 12,811
Quote:
i watched it about a half dozen times on the dvr, but i don't have that single-frame-by-single-frame granularity, so i really just ended up slightly more confused than when i started. depending on where i started, it looked like one or the other.

chevy clearly has honda and lotus by the balls. power had those laps where he overtook and pulled away, then settled in, then lit it up again. lotus i can see being that far back, but honda has seemingly misjudged this pretty badly.

sato should have been on the podium.

and kanaan's run was just fabulous.
I also can't make up my mind. Was his move a block, or did he move to the inside because he was closing on the Target car?

I do agree with Sid, Marco is kinda whiny. I'm a big fan of his dad, and his grandfather is arguably the best driver ever. I was hoping that he'd be farther along than he is at this point.

30 minutes prior to the race, they had a special on GR and his weekend at Barber. As expected, he came off as a classy guy, just like his dad.

On a side note, I really wanted to go back to the race in Texas this year. But, I'm working at an auction in Tulsa that weekend.
lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #134
green hell
yawning or snarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewismedlock View Post
I also can't make up my mind. Was his move a block, or did he move to the inside because he was closing on the Target car?

I do agree with Sid, Marco is kinda whiny. I'm a big fan of his dad, and his grandfather is arguably the best driver ever. I was hoping that he'd be farther along than he is at this point.

30 minutes prior to the race, they had a special on GR and his weekend at Barber. As expected, he came off as a classy guy, just like his dad.

On a side note, I really wanted to go back to the race in Texas this year. But, I'm working at an auction in Tulsa that weekend.

i was an andretti fan in a penske family.

harsh.

my dad's favorite words were "and mario is slowing down!"

marco definitely has not earned the right to be such a dick. i like his potential, but he's not done much with it. andretti racing (in it's various forms) has been disappointing in general. too many egos, too many cars. no wonder tk bailed.

graham seems like a good kid too, and has been similar to marco in his performance. just less bitchy.

(whoever gave this to my dad must have been a real asshole. it's mine now.)

needless dickery
Old 04-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #135
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
honda has seemingly misjudged this pretty badly.
Yeah, I'm really surprised. I don't believe they built an oval engine for a series that's mostly street and road courses, that wouldn't make sense. I guess the only other explanation is that they devoted fewer resources to the project than did Chevy? I mean, if the issue is the turbos, how could they have misjudged the substantial advantage of Chevy's solution?

There is no way Sato shouldn't have won that race.

Also, what the heck's going on with Franchitti? He had the lead on restarts at least twice and promptly dropped back, even against other Hondas. Another mystery.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan