Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 04:12 AM   #1
Philander OP
Someday...

Oddometer: 346
I'm torn between a 1987 Porsche 944 and a 1989 BMW 325i

A question for the Shiny Things collective.

So, i have decided that I want to replace my 1998 Land Rover Discovery with a new (to me) toy...I want something fun to drive and that I can work on myself. I have enough mechanical abilities that I was able to keep the Land Rover running for the last two years.

I really like the older style BMWs, but I have always wanted a Porsche.

I have a choice between a 1989 BMW 325i with 160k km for $5000

or...

a 1987 Porsche 944 with 113k km for $8000

What would your choice be, and why?
Philander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:35 AM   #2
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,353
Both seem overpriced but maybe thats canada??

Esp the bmw.

I'd buy the porsche, way more fun, better resale perhaps. The 325, esp that vintage is a little long in the tooth

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:48 AM   #3
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,704
Way more aftermarket support for the E30; half as expensive to own as the Audi, er Porsche.
But then again, if you could keep the Rover running you have nothing to fear!

And yes, I have owned all three brands, repeatedly.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:36 AM   #4
Maritimer
Bikeless Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Speaking as someone who's owned neither, my preference would be with the 325. Always loved that vintage of BMW and I'd be concerned about ongoing maintenance of the 944...Plus, I'd wait it out and get the best 911 I could afford when the times comes.

YMMV

Mrs Maritimer on packing lunches: "Don't forget the pepper grinder. Just because we are eating cottage cheese at work, doesn't mean we need to be heathens about it."
Maritimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:37 AM   #5
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
944 - relatively uncommon compared to the BMW, straightforward mechanically and an underrated track car, plus you can relive your "risky business fantasies"
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:03 AM   #6
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
944 - relatively uncommon compared to the BMW, straightforward mechanically and an underrated track car, plus you can relive your "risky business fantasies"
Except that was a 928

Me? I've always wanted a 944 so I'd lean that way.

M
Old 04-17-2012, 06:34 AM   #7
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,194
I'd choose the BMW because it doesn't have a damn Harley sticker on it.

Actually, I have owned several BMW cars and I would say that you will get a fun drive and the engines are usually very reliable. Easy to source parts on those older 3-series and the really hold us.

I have heard, though admit I do not know, that the 944's are finicky and troublesome. I have nothing but anectdotal evidence for this though so don't take my input as anything more than rumor and inuendo.
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #8
Solaros1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,212
The E-30 BMW is a great car that can easily accumulate over 350,000 miles. Lots of support and reasonable parts prices along with being easy to work on has turned the E-30 into a very popular choice for people wanting a street/track car. I've owned around five E-30's and they were all fun cars.

Porsche 944's make great track cars but parts prices are much higher. Friends of mine have owned them and they mention things like motor mounts and a few other expensive bits. I never warmed up to the 944 myself (after a 911 it seemed like a step down) but they certainly have a strong fan base. I'm not sure I'd pay the premium over the BMW for the 944.

In the end drive both cars and buy the one that feels better to you - either one is a good car.
Solaros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #9
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,199
It would be the 944 for me. My 16 Candles fantasy!

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howzit View Post
Stick or auto?
If either of them are autos, someone should kick the OP in the slats.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #11
Censport
Vendor

Oddometer: 424
I've driven many examples of both, and have owned (and raced) two 944's. The 944 does make a better track car, because it has much better (and more predictable) handling. In fact, it was one of the best handling cars of its time. A high polar moment of inertia (engine in front, transaxle in rear), a better suspension design than... just about everything else in the 80's and 90's... 8 degrees of caster in the front, all of these things make the 944 a car that is safe to drive fast, and fun to drive seriously.

If either car has been driven and maintained consistently, then you can expect that all of the upgrades have been done. Original 944's had oil cooler issues, water pump issues, etc., and have all had redesigned and superceded parts from Porsche. Plus, there is an active aftermarket for them. Not as big as for the BMW, but still plenty.

And, cruising around even close to legal speeds, they consistently deliver 30mpg.

It's not that I don't like the E30. I wouldn't mind having one of those either. I just like the 944 more.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #12
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,304
I currently own both...a 88 bmw 328, and an 83 944.....the Porsche is a very early car with still the 924 inst. cluster.

Both are fun cars...and the key here is how well they have been taken care of....of that I would pick the best one of the two...you will have fun in both of them.

All things being equal I would do the 944....unless you want to haul big people around in the back...that is a little hard to get in and out of.

Oh an if that 944 is a no power steering car like mine...parking is a bitch.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #13
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,392
I personally haven't owned an E30 or a 944 but I've worked on a few and my mother has a 1991 E30 325i.s. and my sister had a 944 Turbo for a short time (fixing it was getting too expensive for her).

The E30 will be more reliable IF it has been well maintained. The 944 will require more money in regular maintenance than the BMW, and if it doesn't come with a fully documented service history pass. Having driven a couple E30s and 944s only the 944 Turbo feels significantly faster.

Stop on over to E30tech.com there's a lot of information on that site. For $5,000-$7,000 you could almost find an early E36 M3 for that price, which is a lot more fun than either an E30 or 944....

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #14
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 23,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
If either of them are autos, someone should kick the OP in the slats.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #15
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Censport View Post
I've driven many examples of both, and have owned (and raced) two 944's. The 944 does make a better track car, because it has much better (and more predictable) handling. In fact, it was one of the best handling cars of its time.
Blah blah blah.
I race an E30. I've passed plenty of 944's, and I'm only a mid-pack driver. Stock, yes, the 944 will handle better. It's not really any more powerful than a M20 equipped E30 though. Now add lowering springs, sway bars that aren't made of piano wire and some stiffer shocks to the E30 and you'll school the 944 pretty easily, all the while enjoying much cheaper parts prices and simpler and less invasive maintenance. It's very, very rare one of our cars breaks on the track, but I've seen numerous 944's towed back to the pits. The handling on the E30 with it's 'unsophisticated' suspension will surprise you; it's extremely easy to drive at the limit. My experience driving a 944S left me very underwhelmed, and that was before I had ever driven a BMW. I guess I'm not wowed by the Stuttgart crest like some people.

I do have several friends who own/have owned 944's and they have enjoyed them, but for me they simply weren't worth the added expense and headache over the BMW.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: