Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.63 average. Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 05:00 AM   #46
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
Pellet Rifle that can give me about 650fps with one pump. Do they exist? Some claim 1000fps with 8 pumps. Just want a reasonably priced, quality powered rifle that only requires the 1 pump. Anything in the $300. range???
Maybe not in .22. And unless you like pumping--and it does get tiring after multiple shots--you probably want a spring type break-barrel air rifle: Cock it once and fire the pellet. Go over to straightshooters.com or Airguns of Arizona or Pyramid Air to see what's available.

My R7 pictured above, and it's cousin, the Weihrauch HW30 fit your description.

Mr. B screwed with this post 04-17-2012 at 05:08 AM
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:13 AM   #47
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,604
I have the Gamo 440 hunter in .177. It's plenty powerful and accurate for squirrels. I bought mine for that exact reason, squirrels. If you can aim it, it will knock them down. My extensive live testing shows that the pointed "hunting" pellets are useless. They don't do enough initial damage. Certain hollowpoints do very ok, but not great. It's hard to beat the flat wadcutter pellets for pure knockdown effect.

I like these:

Destroyer:

And these...wadcutters:

Found these to be highly ineffective with dropping squirrels immediately:

Avoid these if you want "humane" kills.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #48
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,824
One thing I have found is the pellets do not seem to have very good quality control....check them before you shoot them....I don't know if the high end pellets are better, but those like pictured you get a few in each box that are less then perfect.

I will also echo the comments on the 440....it is a great rifle.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #49
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
The Benjamin Marauder is extremely accurate, powerful, well made and relatively cheap for a pre-charged pneumatic (PCP) air gun. They have taken the air gun market by storm, probably because more shooters could now afford a nice PCP.

They spit big pellets very far and with extreme accuracy because they don't suffer from the double action recoil of spring and gas ram air guns. The PCP is easier to shoot accurately while spring guns require consistent technique.

I don't want one because PCP's involve more gear --the biggest of which is a SCUBA tank-- and complexity than I want to deal with.
Thanks for the info, there is a lot of "stuff" that goes along with one of those. The hand pump seems to have some problems I've read, seems like the gun is only half the expense involved.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #50
TheHeretic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
Thanks for the info, there is a lot of "stuff" that goes along with one of those. The hand pump seems to have some problems I've read, seems like the gun is only half the expense involved.
FWIW I purchased a Benjamin Discovery about 2 years ago. It came with the hand pump and I added a decent scope. I think I spent about $350.00 including the scope and it has been a great air rifle. The accuracy and distance still sort of blows me away. Never had any issues with the Benjamin Pump. You may want to keep an eye on the yellow air gun forum classifieds as nice deals come up regularly on Benjamins.
TheHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #51
Mr. B
Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
One thing I have found is the pellets do not seem to have very good quality control....check them before you shoot them....I don't know if the high end pellets are better, but those like pictured you get a few in each box that are less then perfect.

I will also echo the comments on the 440....it is a great rifle.
High end pellets are definitely more consistent. Some of them come packed in foam so they don't contact each other and ding their skirts. Of course this doesn't stop the real anal types from measuring and weighing each pellet

I'm still of the opinion that one's technique is far more important than the quality of the equipment.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:07 AM   #52
J.Johnson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I boughten son the Benjamin Franklin .22 cal. It is the break action. If you get it from walmart it comes with a decent scope. It shoots 950 fps It is very accurate.
He drops squirrels, crows, and rabbits easy at 100 yards.
Bought a BF. cuz I still have a pistol that I got 30 years ago when I was 8. Thing still licks ass

Sent with mind control...
Old 04-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #53
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Johnson View Post
I boughten son the Benjamin Franklin .22 cal. It is the break action. If you get it from walmart it comes with a decent scope. It shoots 950 fps It is very accurate.
He drops squirrels, crows, and rabbits easy at 100 yards.
Bought a BF. cuz I still have a pistol that I got 30 years ago when I was 8. Thing still licks ass

Your mind is a little scarry.....I don't care what it is....it is not licking my ass
Old 04-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #54
Mr. B
Contrarian

Dropping a crow at 100 yards with an air rifle from Wal Mart is some darn good shooting!
Old 04-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #55
Bun-bun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Dropping a crow at 100 yards with an air rifle from Wal Mart is some darn good shooting!
Oh thank gawd, I thought he said "cow".

Could not figure out what a cow was doing at Wal-mart.
1985 Honda XL600R - sold
Bun-bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #56
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bun-bun View Post
Lots of gorgeous, expensive iron on these pages for sure.

I have a Benjamin air rifle in .22 that has been with me for 32 years, and still keeps the barn tidy.

I also have a Beeman pistol in .177 that I haven't seen for a while. Guess I'll have to poke around and see if I can come up with it.

I have to say, tho, I have trouble with the idea of paying centerfire prices for an airgun, no matter how nicely built.

Maybe that's just my parsimonious upbringing.
+1. But then our trusty old Benjamin/Sheridans are still retailing under $100.00. Mine is also well over 30 years old and shooting fine, and I was not easy on it in my youth. IMHO, still a great value for it's intended role.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #57
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeretic View Post
FWIW I purchased a Benjamin Discovery about 2 years ago. It came with the hand pump and I added a decent scope. I think I spent about $350.00 including the scope and it has been a great air rifle. The accuracy and distance still sort of blows me away. Never had any issues with the Benjamin Pump. You may want to keep an eye on the yellow air gun forum classifieds as nice deals come up regularly on Benjamins.
Thanks, I'll check them out.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #58
MikeFromMT
Past Tense

Oddometer: 3,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bun-bun View Post
Could not figure out what a cow was doing at Wal-mart.
You haven't been to a Wal-Mart lately have you.

This thread has got me thinking about my pellet guns, I have a 1980 Benjamin 137 pistol and a Chinese rifle of some sort I paid 30 bucks for covered in cosmoline. Today seems like a good day to get both of them out, I'm kind of liking that Gamo whisper though...

Do I look like a man with a plan?
MikeFromMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:37 AM   #59
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

I still shoot mine quite a bit...so much so it is sitting in my chair at home.

Now keep in mind that I live in the boonies and can shoot center fire rifles out by back door....but just sitting on the porch and shooting headge apples and anything else I can think of is just a great way to end a stress filled day.

If I tell someone one more time about why exchange is acting stupid I think I may just leave early and do just that.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #60
J.Johnson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Your mind is a little scarry.....I don't care what it is....it is not licking my ass
Fucking smart phones and Their touch screens. My fingers are too fat for them. . it is kick ass. Lol

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: