User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
Beet OP
adventurer

Oddometer: 559
1999 Beta 250

Just bought and all good but the rear brake does not hold real well. Pads are fair but not great, gave them a sand up on the concret and ran a saw cut through them. Not much better. Are there softer? more grippier pads or what shall I do next. regards Beet
Beet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,340
Beta rear brakes always sucked until the rev3 came along. Hold the rear brake on ,is there essesive play at the caliper? There is a rebuild kit for that and you should get new pads also. Anytime you have pads that don`t work their is two ways to fix. One is cold water on hot brakes, Two is take a torch to the pads only and burn any contaniments off. I know it all sounds a little crazy. Been there and done it for years, Good luck, it is a nice bike with sucky rear brakes.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
Beet OP
adventurer

Oddometer: 559
thanks LINEAWAY
Beet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 736
I bought a 96 Techno 2 weeks ago. My rear breaks will not lock the rear wheel at all. I pulled the pads last night and they are pretty much gone. New pads should be here in a few days. I plan to resurface the rotar with coarse sandpaper when I have the wheel off.

As side note. I bleed the system last week, the rear reservoir under the seat was dry, but, I was able to pump fresh fluid thru the system untill I got clear fluid out of the bleeder on the rear calliper. So, I figure the master is working OK.

I hope it can be fixed as I can't see using it on steep down hills as it is.
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:39 AM   #5
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,340
Yes you have got air in the system. Even though you are pumping fluid the rear brake might not be working. Let us know when you get the pads if it is working. They are quite a bitch to bleed.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:54 PM   #6
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Yes you have got air in the system. Even though you are pumping fluid the rear brake might not be working. Let us know when you get the pads if it is working. They are quite a bitch to bleed.
Even with new pads and another round of bleeding the system, my braking power was little improved. Adjusting the brakes made all the difference. I was using up half the travel of the brake lever before the brakes started to work. I adjusted it so the brakes start to come on much sooner. Works much better now. Need to test it on a big hill next.

Never had a bike with such short travel range on the rear brake lever.
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKayak View Post
Even with new pads and another round of bleeding the system, my braking power was little improved. Adjusting the brakes made all the difference. I was using up half the travel of the brake lever before the brakes started to work. I adjusted it so the brakes start to come on much sooner. Works much better now. Need to test it on a big hill next.

Never had a bike with such short travel range on the rear brake lever.
IT is something that has come due to necessity. IMHO, I dont want to have to move my foot very far, which changes your balance, if you know what I mean. you know, riding on feet instead of butt, in tedious balancing situations, yep touch it and it is RIGHT THERE,

that is another reason TRIALS boots are what they are. They are glorified tennis shoes, so you can move your ankles EASILY, and "feel" how hard you are pressing on the brake...
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote