User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
Duken4evr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Helmet Cam Video of Me Eating It.

Complete with frame by frame post crash commentary. The clarity of helmet cameras truly is amazing. I go back and forth between the '10 Husaberg FE450 and the '01 CR250. The CR comes out when there is some moisture in the ground. The 2 stroke really is a gas to ride.

Looking at the video was instructive. I think what happened is I saw the shadow near the tree from a distance and did not notice the root. By the time I was upon the tree, I was looking up the trail - eyes up - as I was riding at a good "hare scrables pace" type speed (for me).

Did not even see the root, tried but was unable to get in more than a quick move to the back and a short panic rev. The root iteself would have been no big deal to bump and wheelie over, but not so much just riding into it like I did. Thud! I thas been quite a while since I got off hard. I guess I was due. Good body armor saved me I think. Only some light abrasions and got my bell rung pretty good. No damage at all to the bike.

Enjoy the show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ftwe...AKPBLjBJvEflJ4=
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,213
excellent

Fantastic. Good play-by-play. I was thinking you were going to tag one of those trees when they were close together. We don't have those kind of trails in So Cal.

I'm going to go back and do a frame-by-frame of my recent wipeout. Here's the 20-second clip.

RZ Rob

RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:25 AM   #3
Duken4evr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Nice! Good thing you did not take your buddy out with you

I used to live in SoCal, spent lots of time in the Dez. It has been 8 years. Still getting used to these tree things. . I have found they are quite stiff and immovable...

Another short vid, no crashing, just squidding it up Mad Stunta style on my FE450

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BioHi...swplc1Q2iBEp0c=
Old 04-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Glad you (and the CR) weathered that spill alright. Gotta love how the camera ejects and goes its own way during the crash yet still comes to rest with you in frame. Awesome.
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,571
Great video. Too bad you crashed, but thanks for sharing. There's lessons to be learned in these. Usually, it's "Slow Down", but what fun would that be.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
Duken4evr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Funny thing is, when I shot that, I was riding briskly, but doing the usual long term pace I normally do. Was not "pushing it" at the time. That is what troubles me a little. Man, it hurts to get off at the usual "brisk" pace. It would really suck if pushing it.

Funny thing is though, there is such a diminishing return in the form of extra speed when pushing it that I do not bother. 80% of max effort was always good enough for me, even when I was racing hare scrambles back in the mid 90s. When the fast guys blew by, I realized that it really didn't matter how hard I tried!

Cool thing is, the bikes are so much better now, that my trail pace has not changed much. My age related deficiencies are made up for by the machine (and some time in the gym too). The early to mid 90's me on that crazy 500cc 2 stroke would have a hard time with leaving behind decrepit 50 year old me, with more wily Vet tendencies earned with age, and on a more modern bike. Perhaps experience and techology can match youthful enthusiasm on an open class 2 stroke

Bottom line is I had a brain fart and ran the bike front end down, and hard into the root. That was really stupid of me Pretty funny how the camera managed to land and point precisely in my direction. Could not have planned that better. The mount did not tear off the helmet, but the guts did get torn out of it. That is some strong adhesive. The camera is fine, it was enclosed in one of these, which I think saved it.

http://www.amazon.com/Contour-3300-W...265097&sr=8-12

Duken4evr screwed with this post 04-12-2012 at 02:14 PM
Old 04-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,110
I always thought if you dirt ride, stuff like that happens.
And when you get older, seeing stuff on the trail at speed gets harder, even if you are paying attention.

I just got a tw200 with its big fat tall tires, which allows me to not see a root and not get a pinch flat or dented rim.

Glad you and the bike made it ok.
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #8
CheBolu
Lefty Argie

Oddometer: 20
I'm going to see tree roots in a different way from now on, thanks ;)