Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #12331
Jblk9695
AKA-Crazy Old Man

Oddometer: 233
Got the roadie set up for adventure touring, Kappa 21L side cases and a Konvoi top box. Width is no wider than the mirrors, but I do hit the cases if not careful with my size 13's, nothing a little polish won't take care of

Do these make my butt look big

Don't you just love motorcycles and all the goodies you can fix them up with

Jerry
Old 04-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #12332
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwaki84 View Post
Haha, I have BMW gear for my off road riding, triumph jacket for my street riding, and currently don't own either! I think I'll stick to generic brands from now on. Anyone have experience with Klim?
I bought the Badlands Pro. I wear the jacket literally daily -- minus the odd week where I miss a day and don't leave the house even just to ride with no other purpose, for the past 4 months or so. Whenever they were available in Oz, I was waiting for mine and got the set. I wear the pants less often, for organised off-road or in a couple cases, when it's pissing down and I still want to be somewhere else. Damned if I'm getting in a freakin CAR just because there's a thunderstorm going on...

Initial impressions are very good. It's water-proof 100% so far including Serious rainfall -- I wish I could say the same about my stupid helmet though -- It's about 3 seasons itself with nothing layered inside -- serious riding should be layered anyway though. I wear merino thin layer stuff for all day esp when it's going to be in the hills and coolish, but with all the vents closed, and those cool wrist seals with the thumb holes in place, you don't feel the cool until it's a significantly cool situation, like 110kms on a highway (nominal, ahem) and night time temp of 12C ambient the other day, yeah I felt some cool spots where the wind managed to push the shell against my biceps for example.

Pants are pretty great too -- they're made for standing up and are nice and long with wide legs for boots, leather panels on the inside to be nice on the bike and handle heat better, and the pads site comfortably so you don't notice them whilst riding. Huge vents when standing mean you can feel a strangely naked feeling when the wind blows across your thigh. And you essentially are -- the vent is from your ass to your knee basically -- reach in and yep that's what your mom and dad gave ya, behind a thin veil of mesh. I like that they are long and fit well over the Sidi's and have decent waterproof pockets.

Another thing I like (bad things coming too lol) is the way they are sewn to fit a rider not a mannequin. So they naturally are bent for riding. Probably this is not unique but it's noticeably more than my bespoke leather jacket (Mars leathers in Melb) which has a bit of the same thing -- the Klim hangs funny and the ams are trying to reach out a lot, when it's on you it fits really nice, keeps a bubble around me so unless wind compresses it I don't feel the outside much.

Bad things include the neck is a bit wrong in that the material (gore pro shell) on the outside and the stiff part, doesn't seem to work together well with the tricot snuggly lining part they put on the inside, so the stiffer material cvan be felt to be "rolling over" or rolling down inside the tricot. So when I hang it up I have to unfold it, it's a but fiddly. Also the neck is the weak point in the whole thing when it comes to waterproofing and weatherproofing, since it just stops. I use a little kathmandu neck thing to keep cold winds out but when it's raining hard the overspray / mist can tough the chin -- not that it matters much cause the visor's leaking and damn I left the top vent open too and... grr.

Another peeve I have is that the mesh pockets inside the jacket are soft and ... malleable? in the mesh -- they should have included some stiffening strip on the openeings IMO to help them open and close with one hand, and keep their shape just as they started, sometimes the zips are a bit hard to operate whilst riding.

Rounding out my bad points is the claimed "support for a hydration bladder" is pretty non-existant. I do hide one in the bottom of the jacket, hening the lil kidney belt thing, but mine's a Geiger and it pressurizes up and doesn't sit well at all. And there's no other place to put it but the bottom, so the drinking tube has far less reach than normal and it's popping out in front of my chest rather than lying down nicely. I could put the bladder in the bum bag puch along the rear but there's no routing for the drinking tube -- I'd have to cut it or perhaps rig something outside but that'd suck more than what I have going now.

I mean to write them and ask about it too, if I learn something better I'll pass it on.

If you have any specific questions about badlands pro I would be happy to answer as best I Can.

Chris
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #12333
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
I know it seems to be the current "in thing" but at 800 for the jacket and 600 for the pants? That's Rukka territory. And for something that might get ripped to shreds on the massive brambles we get over here. Not for me. YMMV.
And from what I have seen, it's not worth it, either - my personal opinion, YMMV.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:51 AM   #12334
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
+1

I have a couple bits of Klim gear and it's good gear but that is just ridiculous prices for stuff that, well, ain't that ground-breaking (despite what the fanbois will say).

It's damn good Merc... Perhaps not that ground breaking or uniquely good, since I've not tried heaps of others. But it's very nice, waterproof and tough, reflective with lots of waterproof pockets. I know the people who can't afford the money or think it's too dear like to say "flavour of the month" (that was last time as I recall lol) or call me a fanboy but I'm really far too old to be a fanboy and probably just suffer from being willing to pay more for things I like. But it's good I think, on it;s own merits.
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #12335
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post
It's damn good Merc... Perhaps not that ground breaking or uniquely good, since I've not tried heaps of others. But it's very nice, waterproof and tough, reflective with lots of waterproof pockets. I know the people who can't afford the money or think it's too dear like to say "flavour of the month" (that was last time as I recall lol) or call me a fanboy but I'm really far too old to be a fanboy and probably just suffer from being willing to pay more for things I like. But it's good I think, on it;s own merits.
Ive heard good things too. I would never pay it but some will. Here is a proven test of excellence.
http://www.klim.com/en-us/news/moto/...43367450188614
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #12336
cug
--

Quote:
I know the people who can't afford the money or think it's too dear like to say "flavour of the month" (that was last time as I recall lol) or call me a fanboy but I'm really far too old to be a fanboy and probably just suffer from being willing to pay more for things I like.
It's possible, yes. I'm sure can afford the stuff - I just don't want to. I'm used to the high quality gear I was able to buy in Germany for fairly affordable prices and what I find in the US is just outrageously priced. Being that Motoport, Klim, or whatnot. I'm willing to pay for quality, but I'm not willing to bend over for it ...

For me at least it's easy, I'll buy more gear next time I'm in Germany visiting parents ...

For the Triumph stuff: it plain doesn't fit me so far. The Adventure gear seems to be tailored for short and wide people. I could use it as a tent, but not as a jacket ...
Old 04-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #12337
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,711
Quote:
There's no doubt it's damn good - I've seen most of their range in person and it really is nice stuff. My point was it's way over-priced and, to me at least, a little too garish. It's certainly not out of my price range but as I say, it's not the cost, it's the value I question...

As ever, YMMV, I sincerely hope you enjoy your gear
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #12338
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
It's possible, yes. I'm sure can afford the stuff - I just don't want to. I'm used to the high quality gear I was able to buy in Germany for fairly affordable prices and what I find in the US is just outrageously priced. Being that Motoport, Klim, or whatnot. I'm willing to pay for quality, but I'm not willing to bend over for it ...

For me at least it's easy, I'll buy more gear next time I'm in Germany visiting parents ...

For the Triumph stuff: it plain doesn't fit me so far. The Adventure gear seems to be tailored for short and wide people. I could use it as a tent, but not as a jacket ...
Hello, you called ?

I have seen the Triumph stuff at the local dealer and it seems very nice but I have a severe aversion to wearing bike-branded clothing such as this to be honest. I know, stupid but there ya go.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #12339
cug
--

Quote:
Hello, you called ?

Quote:
I have seen the Triumph stuff at the local dealer and it seems very nice but I have a severe aversion to wearing bike-branded clothing such as this to be honest. I know, stupid but there ya go.
I see your point. My problem here was the only stuff that actually fits me halfway is the BMW gear. I could take my wife with me into a Roadcrafter or similar ...
Old 04-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #12340
Simon Smith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Being on a very tight budget, I got these http://www.helmetcity.co.uk/Richa-Ex...ack_AN82Z.aspx

And this http://www.helmetcity.co.uk/Richa-Ad...ack_AMS7R.aspx

Been out in all weathers except the snow and they've kept me 100% warm and dry. Of course the quality may not be as good as some, but if its value for money you want.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #12341
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Fads come and go ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
I know it seems to be the current "in thing" but at 800 for the jacket and 600 for the pants? That's Rukka territory. And for something that might get ripped to shreds on the massive brambles we get over here. Not for me. YMMV.
Quote:
+1
I have a couple bits of Klim gear and it's good gear but that is just ridiculous prices for stuff that, well, ain't that ground-breaking (despite what the fanbois will say).
Klim are riding a wave right now. They've got Flavor of The Month status among KTM and a few Dakar Heros and many here on ADV. (the wealthy ones) Fact is Klim are relative Noobs to MC gear and come from the Ski/Snowboard world. It's a US based company, but all their stuff is made in China, just like 95% of ALL motorcycle gear.

They DO have some good designs and the quality of some things I've seen in person is good ... but not fantastic. No where near Rukka quality. But even a Rukka will be destroyed in a crash. Seen it happen ... in person!

Some BMW/KTM Adventure "experts" here on ADV don't have a dirt riding back ground. Anyone that's been around a while will know that lots of other companies, both here and in Europe, have made great riding gear for decades.

Most cater more to Moto Cross (where the money is) ... and the Adventure segment is relatively new. But lots of it crosses over. Some favorites I've used over the years:
Fox, JT, Thor, MSR, No Fear, Moose, Troy Lee Designs .... and about a dozen more ... some good, some not. Many other US brands make versatile gear, like First Gear, Tourmaster, Joe Rocket. All have ups and down, but most have really improved in the last ten years. Inexpensive and functional. I use custom armor in my gear, using mostly
Aerostitch armor. I love Aerostitch suits but not for Summer or Latin America.

Most make light enduro jackets, all make great hot weather riding pants, jersey's and lots more. Most sell colors that are too flashy for old fart ADV guys ... who would rather spend $2000 on a Rukka, BMW, KLIM or other over priced, Euro gear. Klim are US based, but are perceived as a Euro brand as they've managed to attach their brand to KTM and BMW. Very smart marketing. They are seen now as a "prestige" brand. But is the gear really any better than ... average?

Some guys raving about Klim have not owned lots of the other brands, not ridden dirt bikes long. Lots of Noobs. Some Klim items are better than average, but some are simply overpriced, typical Chinese made fare. I'd advise checking Klim ... and a few others ... out IN PERSON. Handle it, check the stitching, seams, check the fit.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 04-18-2012 at 03:22 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #12342
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,529
I'm poor & have used my dirt gear on the street for years. My "outfit" is the A.R.C. backcountry foul weather jacket & pants. $80 each. It's kept me warm & dry for years. I live on the Gulf of Mexico, but I've ridden in snow.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...er-Jacket-2012
Old 04-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #12343
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
I'm poor & have used my dirt gear on the street for years. My "outfit" is the A.R.C. backcountry foul weather jacket & pants. $80 each. It's kept me warm & dry for years. I live on the Gulf of Mexico, but I've ridden in snow.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...er-Jacket-2012
I bought a pair of those ARC pants from Rocky Mountain (I believe ARC are the "in house" brand). Super cheap. I did not expect much as it was half the cost of name brands and also In House stuff is not often very good.
But I was surprised! Good, tough dirt riding pants ... I think they were $60? Damn good! I've had them four years now ... no wear. I always carry rain pants, and slip over dirt pants for cold or rain.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #12344
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Has anyone seen this? I can't read it but I'm sure some of you can. I have been looking at the pictures for the last several weeks.

http://www.realizatuaventura.com/201...a/#prettyPhoto
Google Chrome automatically offers a translate option when on a foreign language site.

Some real nice pics, at times it looks like my neck of the desert.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #12345
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
What about the Darien Jacket and pants by Aerostich? Not flashy enough? Has it fallen out of favour?
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote