Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > EMEA
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #31
Otherguy
First World Traveler

Oddometer: 368
Another option to explore Italy is to take the ferry from Genoa to Palermo and wind your way back north. I've done this twice as it seems to become a much more leisurely trip, and I like Sicily.
Otherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #32
jetjackson OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Cheers for the tip on Antibes, we will be going through there anyway as we will be coming from Avignon. Our plan is to follow the coast road through Monaco and up to Genoa.

Cheers for doing that map, that is legendary, we have 18 days and will be travelling slow, soaking it up, but also want to play it by ear a bit. I want to avoid toll roads as much as possible, we have the time to go around them. And for the most part, looking at street view on google maps the highways are dull and the other roads look great.

Nicole has already seen a bit of Italy so we don't want to double up on too much but want to spend a fair bit of time in Umbria and Tuscany. We're not really keen on doing the big cities like Pisa/Rome etc. we just have to be back in Rome on the last day to put Nicole on a plane back to Avignon.
jetjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #33
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otherguy View Post
Another option to explore Italy is to take the ferry from Genoa to Palermo and wind your way back north. I've done this twice as it seems to become a much more leisurely trip, and I like Sicily.
Me too! Have also done this route, both ways. Sicily is SUCH a gas! Catania being the wildest place I've ever ridden,trying to keep up with my mate Marco, who was born and bred there.....sheesh!!
And the 'Dollies'. My god the dolomites are soooo bootifool...

BOOTLACE screwed with this post 02-19-2012 at 01:00 PM
BOOTLACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #34
Admiraal
SportyTraveler

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjackson View Post
We're not really keen on doing the big cities like Pisa/Rome etc.
Pisa is a small city you might visit in two hours, just to see the famous leaning tower. Based on the map you will see the most beautiful roads riding through Cinque Terre, Umbria (from Perugia to Spoleto), Toscana, Argentario, Costiera Amalfitana, Gargano coast and National Park of Gargano named "Foresta Umbra".
I'm in Italy only during the Week-end. If you will be traveling close to Rome let me know, maybe I'll be able to join you for some miles ...
Old 02-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #35
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,214
If you are going to be visiting Antibes and stay the night on Cote D'Azur, I'm not sure of your budget as far as hotels go. The last time we were down there, we opted not to stay in either Antibes or Nice, but got a place right in between (only a few minutes of each). It's called Marina Baie des Anges, and you can't miss it. It's like a small city, with something like 4000+ apartments spread over four pyramid-shaped wings in a semi circle. there is a nice marina on the inside, a few restaurants, etc. They have a locked parking (need a key to open the gate), and while they are some timeshare apartments in there, they also rent per night. I've been there a few times, and it was always okay.

This way you re out of the city traffic, yet close enough.

When in Nice, check out the flower market and walk up toward the train station. The scents are just amazing, starting with the flowers and then, as you proceed, fresh herbs, food, ....Ladies love it.

FYI, the girls waiting at bus stops at night are not waiting for the bus
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:35 AM   #36
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOTLACE View Post
And the 'Dollies'. My god the dolomites are soooo bootifool...
Absolutely! If you're going to hit one place in Italy, the Dolomites should be VERY high on the list.

Bootlace - what are the locations of the two pics that you posted?
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #37
jetjackson OP
Gnarly Adventurer

In Genoa tonight and having an incredible time. The sun is out and it is 16 degrees for most of the day which is plenty warm enough for riding. Tried to find places to camp but as we are on the coast there will be no stealth camping and the camping places want 20 Euro for 2 people, a bike and a tent space - which to me is rediculous - for an extra 10 euro we can both stay in a hostel for the night.

Looks like if we do any camping here it will be stealth but as I said above that is not easy on the coast. Going to try and camp up in Umbria/Tuscany when it becomes more rural. Any tips on camping here? I only want to pay for camping if it is 10 euro a night or less... anything more than 15 euro and you might as well stay in a hostel.

(Having said all this I understand that most of the campsites here are catering to summer holiday makers - families and the like who want a place with a swimming pool ad other activities)
Old 02-24-2012, 03:05 AM   #38
Admiraal
SportyTraveler

Oddometer: 12
Lucky you buddy. Weather is actually improving a lot. Sorry but no idea about chip camps. Have fun ...
Old 03-22-2012, 12:53 AM   #39
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,541
Just double check your mirrors and use the life saver look back....and keep up at the same speed as every one else...then it'll be fluid...once you try and ride at USA speed you're fecked...you have to keep up....

:)
Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #40
jetjackson OP
Gnarly Adventurer

In Spain now, Italy was great, thanks everyone for the tips, will be posting up footage of the whole trip in a couple of weeks on Youtube. Just have to catch up.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #41
jetjackson OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi guys, thanks for all the tips given, I have just put up the first post of the Italy section in my ride report. Link in the sig :)