Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 07:08 AM   #31
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,902
If they discovered their helmet lasted 10 years, it would mean other brands would also last 10 years because they all use EPS as the "active ingredient" in their helmets. They might discover some outer shells hold up better than others though, they make those from several different materials.

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:33 AM   #32
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhawley View Post

This sort of post usage testing is what I would like to see from Snell. Take a helmet that has actually been worn by an average rider that is 2, 5, 7 etc years old and see if it still hold to the initial testing criteria. Data such as this would (or could) prove the 5 year rule or may debunk it altogether. Who knows? I am sure there have been some go-getter at Snell that was just a curious as I and decided to test a helmet after a few years of use. I wonder why helmet mfgs don't pay for the Snell testing on an old helmet just to see the results. If nothing else it could be a selling point. "Our helmets have been tested to last up to 7+ years with normal usage." It may make the helmet worth more on the initial sale, as you are getting more bang for the buck, so to speak...and would sure make it worth more in the used market.

Would the motorcycling community pay 10-25% more for a helmet that is Guaranteed for 5 years from defects but will last (according to the mfg and Snell) up to 8, 9, or more years? I doubt it...I guess the mfg would rather sell 100$ skid lids with 25$ worth of materials and 50$ worth of paint and graphics. It is all market driven...same reason Black is the best selling helmet color. I digress...........now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Because the history of each helmet is different and therefore the data would be essentially worthless.

The particular test sample may be from a guy who sits his helmet on the fuel tank when he stops. The breather hole in the fuel cap will release fuel vapor inside the helmet. Not a huge amount of course but fuel vapor will degrade the foam cell. Imagine that this rider does that three times a week over five years; that is a lot if degradation though likely not visible to the naked eye. This particular helmet may fail the Snell test badly and then the manufacturer might then say we have to change the advice to every four years.

I've seen people use their helmets like shopping baskets. Some people never clean the liner and are users of hair gels and waxes.

If you don't want to change your helmet after five years then don't. If you crash and it saves your head then you can smile and get a new one. If you crash and it doesn't then you don't have anything to worry about anyway. I think this thread only becomes an issue when a goverment mandates that you have to change your helmet and you can look to Europe first for that to happen.

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #33
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
I ride every day. I've never made it 5 years with the same helmet. They eventually reach a point of stankyness that is irreversable. No amount of washing gets the smell out, they need a new face shield and the cost of new liners/shield is usually over $100... I'll just buy a new helmet at that point.
I currently have 2 Shoei RF1000's and a Shark Evoline 2 in the rotation
I think it usually pretty easy to identify the helmets that are worn out. Used... not for me thanks.

Not to mention the foam padding wears out, the thing gets louder, looser.

FFS, it's a helmet. They're not suggesting you go buy a new bike every 5 years. \

I had two hockey helmet (new style with polystyrene type foam) go to shit in 2 and 2 1/2 years. That's only 220 games or so.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:50 AM   #34
Transient
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
My opinion, based on the Arai Corsair that I just replaced. FYI, Arai's 5 year warranty begins at date of purchase, not manufacture.

My Arai was on year 3.5 of the warranty when it started to feel very loose. I bought a full set of replacement pads ad it felt good again. Just a few months later, when the pads broke in, it felt loose again. I asked my Arai rep and he said the EPS will compress over time from normal use - particularly because one layer of Arai's liner is extra soft.

It may be a load of crap, but I can't think of another explanation for my experience.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #35
LBourque
G/S nut

Oddometer: 227
Old helmet

I had an old helmet and used it for target practice. Shot it with a 22 long and it seemed to hold up pretty well for an old helmet. So if my options are old helmet,new helmet or no helmet I will continue to use my old helmet until I can afford a new one,
LBourque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #36
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBourque View Post
I had an old helmet and used it for target practice. Shot it with a 22 long and it seemed to hold up pretty well for an old helmet. So if my options are old helmet,new helmet or no helmet I will continue to use my old helmet until I can afford a new one,
A wise choice

Triumph Explorer
Old 04-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #37
Alton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhawley View Post
Conspiracy theory. HMM Maybe? But not really am I posing a conspiracy, but questioning the status quo. Its the helmet mfg, Snell etc that should post hard-cold data and not some friggin' "CONSENSUS". Do you agree?
I'm trying to figure out what you are expecting. A 200 page report with data for 50 different head types and 1000 different usage patterns? Maybe a 100 question form where you add up the points at the end and that determines how long your helmet will last?

It would be inane or useless, and most likely would only open the manufacturers up to lawsuits, and that would hurt all of us. I think Snell said it well. Only YOU know what your helmet has been through. THERE ARE NO HARD AND FAST RULES, yet you seem to want to pretend there are.

Quote:
This sort of post usage testing is what I would like to see from Snell. Take a helmet that has actually been worn by an average rider that is 2, 5, 7 etc years old and see if it still hold to the initial testing criteria.
What is an "average rider"?
Does this average rider have oily hair or dry hair?
Does the rider sweat much? How much is "much"?
What was the average length of continuous helmet usage?
What was the longest length of continuous helmet usage?
How many hours was the helmet used annually?
How tight was the helmet initially? (exact head size vs helmet size)
What temperature was the helmet stored at (usually)?
What humidity was the helmet stored at (usually)?
What part of the world did the rider live in?

Given the VERY LARGE number of variables in the above answers, how would any testing be useful for ANYONE except that "average rider"?

Alton screwed with this post 04-17-2012 at 09:42 AM Reason: added response
Alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #38
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,322
Why change a helmet at 5 years?

This is a bit like asking why it takes two premenstrual women to change a light bulb.

It just Fckn does, OK?
You should change your helmet. Just live with it and move on.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:43 AM   #39
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient View Post
My opinion, based on the Arai Corsair that I just replaced. FYI, Arai's 5 year warranty begins at date of purchase, not manufacture.

My Arai was on year 3.5 of the warranty when it started to feel very loose. I bought a full set of replacement pads ad it felt good again. Just a few months later, when the pads broke in, it felt loose again. I asked my Arai rep and he said the EPS will compress over time from normal use - particularly because one layer of Arai's liner is extra soft.

It may be a load of crap, but I can't think of another explanation for my experience.

Not so. Arai's Warranty start with their date of manufacture - the one on the chin strap. As soon as you register the new helmet for warranty with them it will indicate that. I bought a new helmet last year on a sale, registered it and it came up with the shortened warranty. I returned the helmet to the store and bought a newer model.

My previous Arai was 7 years- and 100,000 miles and the chin strap was worn so respecting the universal guidence of replace after 5 years- that is what I did. I understand their reasoning ito of chemistry and my head is worth more than to argue with it.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:04 AM   #40
lucas123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
From Arai's warranty card..

"All Arai helmets are warranted against defects in materials and workmanship, and as serviceable only for the properly fitted user for 5 years of use, but no more than 7 years from date of manufacture. It should be replaced within 5 years of first use.

Any Arai helmet found by the factory to be defective in materials and/or workmanship within five years from the date of purchase will be repaired or replaced at the option or Arai, free of charge to the original purchaser, when returned freight prepaid to the address advised by Arai on its Return Goods Authorization form."
lucas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #41
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas123 View Post
From Arai's warranty card..

"All Arai helmets are warranted against defects in materials and workmanship, and as serviceable only for the properly fitted user for 5 years of use, but no more than 7 years from date of manufacture. It should be replaced within 5 years of first use.

Any Arai helmet found by the factory to be defective in materials and/or workmanship within five years from the date of purchase will be repaired or replaced at the option or Arai, free of charge to the original purchaser, when returned freight prepaid to the address advised by Arai on its Return Goods Authorization form."
That is what I thought too. But try to register your helmet on line and see what you get!

Here is a section from correspondence from Arai;

"Arai 10/12/2011
XXXX, The warranty on the Arai helmets is 5 years from date of manufacture or date of purchase, not to go beyond 7 years from date of manufacture. Since your helmet was manufactured on 9/2007, your warranty would end on 9/14, 7 years from date of manufacture. There has to be a cut off as we cannot warranty helmets that are over seven years old as they may not be safe to use. Thanks, Kathy"

That meant that as a customer I would only get 3 years on a 'brand new' helmet. Not acceptable. I sent the helmet back to the store for them to deal with.

So, like tires, it pays to check the date of manufacture before you purchase! Read the fine print carefully.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #42
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Not so. Arai's Warranty start with their date of manufacture - the one on the chin strap. As soon as you register the new helmet for warranty with them it will indicate that. I bought a new helmet last year on a sale, registered it and it came up with the shortened warranty. I returned the helmet to the store and bought a newer model.

My previous Arai was 7 years- and 100,000 miles and the chin strap was worn so respecting the universal guidence of replace after 5 years- that is what I did. I understand their reasoning ito of chemistry and my head is worth more than to argue with it.
You are mistaken on the warranty; here is the text from my registration of the Signet Q (it didn't paste too well but the warranty period is in the top right corner. Compare that to the purchase date and the manufacture date on the left. I wonder if your previous one was already registered by an owner then returned because it didn't fit right and then sat in stock for a while? Or maybe policies have changed since that time?

Signet-Q

Limited Warranty Expires: 4/1/2017
Color/Graphics: Laurel
Size: Medium
Snell Number:
Purchased Date: 4/1/2012
Manufactured Date: 11/30/2011
Dealer/Company where purchased: Revzilla PA

Triumph Explorer
Old 04-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #43
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
You are mistaken on the warranty; here is the text from my registration of the Signet Q (it didn't paste too well but the warranty period is in the top right corner. Compare that to the purchase date and the manufacture date on the left. I wonder if your previous one was already registered by an owner then returned because it didn't fit right and then sat in stock for a while? Or maybe policies have changed since that time?

Signet-Q

Limited Warranty Expires: 4/1/2017

Color/Graphics: Laurel
Size: Medium
Snell Number:

Purchased Date: 4/1/2012
Manufactured Date: 11/30/2011
Dealer/Company where purchased: Revzilla PA
It is possible they changed- a little - as I know I put heat on them and the large company I bought from did too! They were then stuck with stock!
Old 04-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #44
AlecMyrddyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
That is what I thought too. But try to register your helmet on line and see what you get!

Here is a section from correspondence from Arai;

"Arai 10/12/2011
XXXX, The warranty on the Arai helmets is 5 years from date of manufacture or date of purchase, not to go beyond 7 years from date of manufacture. Since your helmet was manufactured on 9/2007, your warranty would end on 9/14, 7 years from date of manufacture. There has to be a cut off as we cannot warranty helmets that are over seven years old as they may not be safe to use. Thanks, Kathy"

That meant that as a customer I would only get 3 years on a 'brand new' helmet. Not acceptable. I sent the helmet back to the store for them to deal with.

So, like tires, it pays to check the date of manufacture before you purchase! Read the fine print carefully.
Ouch, at the end of 2011 a store still had a helmet made in 2007 for sale?!?! That store sucks!

Not Arai's fault that the dealer was stocking such old helmets...
AlecMyrddyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #45
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecMyrddyn View Post
Ouch, at the end of 2011 a store still had a helmet made in 2007 for sale?!?! That store sucks!

Not Arai's fault that the dealer was stocking such old helmets...
My impression, after the fact, was that as a new model was coming out, Arai were trying to off-load those as sevaral large reputable national stores were offering larger than normal discounts.