User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-18-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
His Pistolship OP
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Oddometer: 402
Laugh Super Tenere in the Dirt for the first time; well pleased.

HI All,

Just thought I would drop a quick note here about my first time with the Super Tenrere in the dirt. By the way, it was awesome.

I found a nice gravel/dirt road about an hour and half outside ofDC. I was just exploring the ultra-rich horse country, didn't really set out to ride dirt. To be honest I was a little bit worried about how this big heavy bike would do in the dirt, especially with the stock street tires on. I set out cautiously in the most intrusive traction control setting. The TC did wonderfully and I found myself going faster than I wanted becuase it was working so well. Then I switched to TC 2 and romped on the throttle. TC 2 was just about perfect.

Oh, and by the way, like the manual says, the TC will turn its self off after prolonged wheel spinning. I noticed it turned off after about 5 minutes of reallyhard wheel spinning. But then if I stopped and cycled through the TC settings, it would reset to which ever setting I chose. I would spin the rear tire all the way up to about 50 mph, then mash on the brakes and the ABS hauled me down real fast, especially when the front ABS started working. I was really amazed at how fast I stopped. I explored more dirt roads for the next two hours and rode like an idiot, and laughed in my helmet the whole way. This bike just blows me awaysometimes.

The suspension was unbleiveable. I came across quite a few washboard sections, and the suspension just ate it up and looked at up at me asking for more. This bike was so super smooth on the dirt.

The Tenere was very stable in the dirt, even more so than my KLR. I would now choose the Tenere over the KLR for dirt. The KLR felt much more squirrely, but the Tenere hugs the road nicelyand slides controllably too, plus the brakes on the Tenere are sooo much better.

Most of the dirt riding I did was standing, by the way. Oh, and the stock tires did ok in my opinion. I could see the extra wear and tear I was putting on the rear tire (Metzeler Tourance with 5000 miles on it). It would be interesting to see how much better some TKC 80's do as opposed to Metzeller Tourances in dirt.

His Pistolship screwed with this post 04-18-2012 at 11:52 AM
His Pistolship is offline   Reply With Quote