Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #76
S8W7 OP
Libertarian

Oddometer: 68
I don't think that model is available in Canada? The only 690 KTM lists on their website up here is the 690 Enduro R.

Looking at their step up, the 990 Adventure and 990 Adventure R, they're interesting. A little heavy, but much lighter than I thought they were. Nice looking bikes, too!

In all honesty, though, I think it all comes down to what I can find used for a decent price. So far there's not much in my area, so the search continues!
Old 04-19-2012, 12:00 AM   #77
LetItRoll
ForwardAholic

Oddometer: 97
That really narrows it down, if you are needing to do 400 mile days once in a while and want to be able to leave the bike close to stock if need be, the Dr650se is going to be your best inexpensive choice for something that is still pretty good in the rougher 2 track. If you have the money or can find an affordable deal on a KTM adventure bike that of course would be great, I really like the KLR650 for most of your needs but you definetly would need to go a little slower in the dirt, a good rider can go fast in the dirt on one but it does take more mental focus than the lighter better suspended bikes and you just cant let your guard down without risk, and on a long day that can get mentally tiring. I have done 405mi. on a box stock DR650 (50/50 dirt street) you just have to stand up and move around enough to keep you butt from falling off. My friend on a Klr upon his first ride on my DR said the KLR is the Cadillac, and the Dr is the Corvette. You can do it on either but the DR takes less rider input and can get away with being a little more lazy in the dirt, and the Klr is a little more comfortable on the street.
LetItRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #78
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8W7 View Post
I don't think that model is available in Canada? The only 690 KTM lists on their website up here is the 690 Enduro R.

Looking at their step up, the 990 Adventure and 990 Adventure R, they're interesting. A little heavy, but much lighter than I thought they were. Nice looking bikes, too!
In all honesty, though, I think it all comes down to what I can find used for a decent price. So far there's not much in my area, so the search continues!
The KTM 690 Rally raid is made up from after market parts. You were primarily asking for light as I recall. You failed to mention that you were looking used and seeking a good deal. You may be able to find ktm' mid weight adv, somewhere, but they are fairly rare.

If you are looking us you may have to settle on a klr/dr/honda xr or what ever pops up that is clean, well cared for and a good deal. There tends to be scads of klr's available, except when you are looking or course.

Anyways, here is the link for Rally Raid, it sure looks badass, a full on dakarcicle.

http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #79
S8W7 OP
Libertarian

In one of my overly wordy responses I've stated that I'm totally fine with aftermarket. In fact, I'm planning on it regardless of which bike I end up with as it's a large part of the fun for me. I've always modified vehicles and this will most certainly not be any different.

Does anyone make an adventure fairing kit for the DR? I know Britannia Composites does, but are there others?
Old 04-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #80
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Got no idea what the adventure part means other than just marketing. If you want good coverage the madstad is excellent. http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.1921/.f

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #81
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
I looked hard at the DR and the KLR. Ended up with a KLR but then the fun began. 685 motor; Ricor Intiminators in the forks; Cogent Dynamics Moab shock; upgraded rotor (front brake disk); stainless steel brake lines; heated grips; aftermarket pegs; modified carb; aftermarket hand guards; Wolfman side racks and Teton bags...I've ridden this bike from So. Cal. through Nevada, parts of Utah, Colorado, Arizona and back...loaded with camping gear...on freeways, two lane roads and off pavement. Commuted with it. Did canyons and twisties with it. Works well. No problems and quite comfortable.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #82
S8W7 OP
Libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonopah View Post
I looked hard at the DR and the KLR. Ended up with a KLR but then the fun began. 685 motor; Ricor Intiminators in the forks; Cogent Dynamics Moab shock; upgraded rotor (front brake disk); stainless steel brake lines; heated grips; aftermarket pegs; modified carb; aftermarket hand guards; Wolfman side racks and Teton bags...I've ridden this bike from So. Cal. through Nevada, parts of Utah, Colorado, Arizona and back...loaded with camping gear...on freeways, two lane roads and off pavement. Commuted with it. Did canyons and twisties with it. Works well. No problems and quite comfortable.
Pics? :)
Old 04-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #83
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

'09 KLR

Old 04-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #84
S8W7 OP
Libertarian

Beauty!

What kind of tires are those?
Old 04-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #85
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Continental TKC-80s. Been very happy with them.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #86
S8W7 OP
Libertarian

Is that the factory fairing and tank?
Old 04-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #87
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #88
S8W7 OP
Libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonopah View Post
Yes.
Do they come with that forward crash guard looking thing or is that aftermarket?

Sorry for the twenty questions, I just like your bike!
Old 04-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #89
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

The crash bars are Happy Trails and I bought the skid plate, crash bars and highway pegs all together for I think it was $300. Not hard to install. The bags on the front that attach to the crash bars are Wolfman and are a good place for tools and water. The tank bag is also Wolfman (Explorer Lite) and works well with the bike. Easy to flip back for fueling.

I also ride a BMW R1200GS and a BMW F650GS twin but I still really like the simplicity and overall feel of the KLR650. I ride it a lot both on pavement and off in Arizona and have taken it on a number of long distance trips quite successfully.

No problem with the questions -- we like to yak about our bikes.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #90
wild0
Rubber duck

Oddometer: 526
DRZ400?

My one does everything from 700km days on the hwy to 70km days on some of the toughest tracks in the high country.

Or if you want a more road mannered machine how about a 640 ktm?

My current ride.

wild0 is offline   Reply With Quote