Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
braq attack OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Illinois to New Mexico

I have my mind set on riding my Suzuki gs850 from my hometown in Illinois to my summer job in New Mexico. I have to be there on May 17 so things are getting close. I'm currently getting my bike road ready. It rides and accelerates good but I still have alot of other things to do before its road ready. I also have to get my licence so haha if I dont pass I'm in trouble.

basically I've planned out the route and feel confident that with practice I'll be just as road ready as the bike eventually. So Im just making this thread to touch base with the traveling experts here.

A few questions I have right off the bat is packing. I want to incorporate my hiking backpack as my main piece of luggage. I've been told that wearing it while riding is not a good idea. You'l probably all tell me thats true. just wanna be sure. this bike has a back luggage rack with a sliding back rest and i plan on carrying camping supplies to make it the 3/4 days ride. ive even found camping sites that i like via google maps.

mainly the route runs across Missouri into Kansas City then to Topeka, Wichita, and I think Dodge City. from there I have to option of going into Colorado then down a bit to my destination or across the pan handle of Oklahoma and just barely skimming the North Westerly corner of Texas. (I like this route because I can say Ive been in more states that the other route )

What advice do you guys have? the bike is an 80 i believe and Ive been giving it alot of love since we pulled it out of my uncles barn. Still needs a front brake master cylinder, air filter, and a bit more carburetor love. My main concern is breaking down on the road and being stranded or not getting my licence in time.

thanks and if anyone is wondering my summer job is at Philmont Scout Ranch. I worked there last year and I despise the 16 hour train ride. hopefully i can go on my first real adventure without a hitch
braq attack is offline   Reply With Quote