ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 213 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #256
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
I know, but I am kind of mad it was sent out like that. Also, I'm not going the trouble of replacing it if the unit is still under warranty.
ah missed that part. Yeah I agree if its still under warranty, then get it replaced.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:10 AM   #257
Tirpse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
I was looking for Garmin navigator and first though i am going to buy Zumo 660 or 550 my friend recommended to buy 276C or 278 i went and bought from Ebay Garmin GPSMAPPER 478 after i also spend some time looking for its features and recommendations here. Its still on the post coming but i have few questions:

1. I can see 12V car adapter/"cigarette lighter" power connections to bike but i would prefer direct connections to battery (naturally via relay&fuse). Is there any official accessory for that? I have so far seen only audio power cables but i would assume there is also power connections what you can connect to bike battery? Reason i am looking is that i have found out that when you drive hours in corrugations where road shakes your bike 12V cigarette connectors tend to shake out from power plugs.
2. Have you used external GPS receivers&antennas. I can see that there are quite many available in Ebay. Any recommended models? I dont think i plan to get any weather or radio services as i dont think that they are available here in Finland.

Tirpse screwed with this post 12-03-2011 at 05:18 AM
Tirpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:37 AM   #258
spidennis OP
SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer: 1,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirpse View Post
I was looking for Garmin navigator and first though i am going to buy Zumo 660 or 550 my friend recommended to buy 276C or 278 i went and bought from Ebay Garmin GPSMAPPER 478 after i also spend some time looking for its features and recommendations here. Its still on the post coming but i have few questions:

1. I can see 12V car adapter/"cigarette lighter" power connections to bike but i would prefer direct connections to battery (naturally via relay&fuse). Is there any official accessory for that? I have so far seen only audio power cables but i would assume there is also power connections what you can connect to bike battery? Reason i am looking is that i have found out that when you drive hours in corrugations where road shakes your bike 12V cigarette connectors tend to shake out from power plugs.
2. Have you used external GPS receivers&antennas. I can see that there are quite many available in Ebay. Any recommended models? I dont think i plan to get any weather or radio services as i dont think that they are available here in Finland.
I do remember buying a specific cable to run to my bike's battery, most likely off ebay. I'd not mind having an external antenna though for inhouse use ....
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:46 AM   #259
Tommy Gunn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
There is a cable to connect directly to your bikes power supply.
A quick google search pointed me here... http://www.provantage.com/garmin-010...0~7GRMN05A.htm
This cable has numerous conductors in it as it serves multiple functions but only two of the wires are for your power.
The GPSMap 478 owners manual has the proper pin-out for the conductors and it is virtually a no brainer to connect.
The GPSMap 478 can be securely mounted with the Ram mounting system. Enjoy!
Old 03-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #260
jonnykilo
Traveller

Oddometer: 205
Battery Missing

Gents, My Garmin 478 was working fine. Took a fall on a ride a month ago. GPS kept working, no issues when I put it away. Plugged it in yesterday to charge, and I get the battery missing MSG no matter what I do. Battery compartment is clean, non of the clips or contacts appear damaged. Any ideas?
jonnykilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:27 PM   #261
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnykilo View Post
Gents, My Garmin 478 was working fine. Took a fall on a ride a month ago. GPS kept working, no issues when I put it away. Plugged it in yesterday to charge, and I get the battery missing MSG no matter what I do. Battery compartment is clean, non of the clips or contacts appear damaged. Any ideas?
battery has a tendency when it gets too discharged to not charge.

http://forums.gps.org.nz/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4131

I fixed a battery using above, it was displaying the "battery missing error".

It could also be something other than this
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:55 AM   #262
jonnykilo
Traveller

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
battery has a tendency when it gets too discharged to not charge.

http://forums.gps.org.nz/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4131

I fixed a battery using above, it was displaying the "battery missing error".

It could also be something other than this

Thanks Dude. Will give it a try
jonnykilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #263
Spinalcracker
former redriderofma

Oddometer: 1,084
tracks

I have a 478 with CN 2010.4 I use Basecamp on a MacBook Pro.

When I'm out for a ride and I want to down load the track to the computer I have 10 or more "Active Log" with anywhere from 1 to several hundred points. How do you get it to make just 1 Active log or track?

I can't see any pattern to this.

Also on the 478 in the Tracks page there is "Record Mode" with OFF, Fill and Wrap as choices. What do these do?

Then in the" Interval" choice there is Distance, Time and Resolution. What is the Resolution ?
Vermont Covered Bridges
Spinalcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #264
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRiderofMA View Post
I have a 478 with CN 2010.4 I use Basecamp on a MacBook Pro.

When I'm out for a ride and I want to down load the track to the computer I have 10 or more "Active Log" with anywhere from 1 to several hundred points. How do you get it to make just 1 Active log or track?

I can't see any pattern to this.

Also on the 478 in the Tracks page there is "Record Mode" with OFF, Fill and Wrap as choices. What do these do?

Then in the" Interval" choice there is Distance, Time and Resolution. What is the Resolution ?
Anytime you power off the 478 or it loses sats and you get the message GPS sats lost, it starts a new track log. So if you want one continuous log, just don't turn it off and never ride in the woods and it will always be continuous.

In all seriousness though, even if it does break them up when something like that happens, when you import it into MapSource (or Basecamp I would assume would be the same, although I haven't used it), you can join all those track logs together and create one continuous log. Highlight all the track logs, right click and choose join. Sometimes that doesn't work, so you can open up one of the track logs, do a Crl+A to highlight all the points, copy them, and then paste all those points in the next track log. Just make sure to keep them in order.

In the record mode. Off is like it says, track recording is off. Fill means it will fill the active log until it fills up its 10k point active log, then stop and warn you its full. Wrap means that once its fills up, it start over writing the beginning of the track log and continually overwrites the beginning as you add more.

For interval, distance and time are self explanatory. I'm sort of guessing on this one, but I think resolution is sort of an auto mode meaning it adjusts the track logging by your time & distance and what resolution you want it to appear accurate at?
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #265
pixellman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 902
478 and Life Map Updater

North America 2013.20

I cant install the whole North America Map.
Life Map Updater show me-You device dose not enough space. W the F ..?
Any ideas guys ..
Thank you for any help
Pix

pixellman screwed with this post 05-10-2012 at 09:14 PM
pixellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #266
fizzerfz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixellman View Post
North America 2013.20

Any ideas guys ..
Thank you for any help
Pix
I believe that the latest map that 478 can hold is the 2009. Somebody will correct me if I am wrong...
Old 05-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #267
MuleTrain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Call Garmin, I think you get routed to Aviation Group, they have always been very helpful....let us know how you make out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixellman View Post
North America 2013.20

Any ideas guys ..
Thank you for any help
Pix
MuleTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #268
pixellman
Adventurer

I still on the line.30 min waiting time
If this is true what Fizzerfz1 said
So why Garmin sale Life Map Update for the 478 .

Mule Train i will
Old 05-11-2012, 09:36 AM   #269
Lurch II
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Maps and memory cards

The latest version of the maps will not fit due to memory limitations BUT you can install as much as possible to internal memory and then install the balance to a memory card. The 478 will then "see" the entire map from the two locations. Or at least that is what I did. It does require that you have one of the Garmin stupid expensive memory cards and the programmer for it.

Shawn
2007 R1200GSA - Lurch II (his)
2007 R1200GS - Wickd (hers)
"Dying is a very dull, dreary affair. And my advice to you is to have nothing whatever to do with it." - W. Somerset Maugham
Lurch II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #270
pixellman
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch II View Post
The latest version of the maps will not fit due to memory limitations BUT you can install as much as possible to internal memory and then install the balance to a memory card. The 478 will then "see" the entire map from the two locations. Or at least that is what I did. It does require that you have one of the Garmin stupid expensive memory cards and the programmer for it.
Thank you Lurch..
This is what guys from Garmin recommended ..