Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #31
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forde View Post
thats awesome! i have to say im surprised somebody would actually buy a scooter with 171000 on it lol

I know! I just can't believe that 2 stroker help up that good! Guess Vespa Really knowed how to build em!

As far as storage. Them there trailors would be nice. Just pack light and smart, you should be ok. A small trailor can't be no bad idea though!

Can't wait to here about Y'all ridin a report.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:57 AM   #32
Bamako-Vespa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajavw View Post
Also

Thanks for the photos and info.

This Correos Box, Solo Seat, and Rack is appealing. I've looked into this. Unfortunately, they are not available in North America.

If you know where I could get one, please pass it my way.

Check out scooterzilla.com

The site is under contstruction, but use the contact page to get in touch with the guy setting up the site. He has a few Correos boxes. As they are quite popular in spain they are getting more and more expensive. The price should be around 100-200 euros.

I met the guy during the Vespa World Days 2011 and he seemed like a nice guy.

This setup consists of the box (of course), a lockable seat and a special rack that everything bolts on to. The nice thing with it is that it is a perfect bolt on upgrade to the vespa PX.

You do get a little front en wobble, but if you back the box right (heavy stuff low down and forward), and put some heavy stuff on the floorboards (like a 10L jerry can) and perhaps a front rack you'll minimize that wobble.

I rode like this for more than 5000 km down through the Sahara participating in the Budapest Bamako rally, and forgot about the wobble after a couple of days.

We also modified the rack a little, so that the box would sit about 2cm further back. The seat does put you a little bit too far forward, especially if you are tall and wear a back plate under your riding gear.

The boxes in action on the piste to Foum Zguid in Southern Morrocco:

www.bamakobyvespa.no
Bamako-Vespa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #33
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
I've had this on my Big Ruckus now for 3 years with no problems , I use the BR as my daily driver all summer . I use it for every thing from grocery shopping to short 70 mile trips to visit kids and grand kids . Happytrail in Idaho will make just about any size you desire . I wouldn't be without the trunk and neither would my son who has one just like it .

TheReaper!
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #34
rajavw OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Almost there!

Replaced rear rack and mounted a metal plate.

Just need to mount the 90L 24Gallon Action Packer.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37778701@N07/
rajavw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #35
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

I think you are going to have to much weight out to the rear . I would put it side ways instead .
Not only is your front end likely to wobble badly , but people close behind you won't be able to see your
tail lights
Old 04-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #36
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper! View Post
I think you are going to have to much weight out to the rear . I would put it side ways instead .
Not only is your front end likely to wobble badly , but people close behind you won't be able to see your
tail lights
Agree 100%
Old 04-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #37
rajavw OP
Adventurer

Rear Support Braces Added

Check out this link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37778701@N07/?saved=1

Took her out for a 70 mile ride. Bakersfield - Tehachapi Loop - Bakersfield. No vibration or difference in handling whatsoever. Rode on Highway 58 at high speeds (65-70MPH) and am very pleased with this box and mounting!
Old 04-23-2012, 06:23 AM   #38
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajavw View Post
Check out this link:

Took her out for a 70 mile ride. Bakersfield - Tehachapi Loop - Bakersfield. No vibration or difference in handling whatsoever. Rode on Highway 58 at high speeds (65-70MPH) and am very pleased with this box and mounting!
OK but how much weight did you have in it ? Weight that sucker down for a real test .

TheReaper!
Old 04-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #39
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,805
One thing to remember is that packing for a couple of months isn't much different than packing for a long weekend. Once you toss on a few days clothes, gear for variable weather, a reasonable tool kit, and tent, etc. the length of a ride doesn't change the list much. The kitchen sink is best left at home in the kitchen.

Consider going soft. GiantLoop bags are just-right sized for extended trips so long as you keep it light. http://www.giantloopmoto.com/

They are popular with the off-road/adventure/sport motorcycle touring crowd for good reason. There is no reason you couldn't fit on on your scooter. They keep the weight lower than a box and make for stable riding. Here is a Coyote mounted on my bike.

Wolfman makes a great bag that would go well on your rear rack too http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Tail/beta_bags11.html

Sparrowhawk screwed with this post 04-23-2012 at 02:34 PM
Sparrowhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #40
rajavw OP
Adventurer

2nd FULL SIZE SPARE is Mounted

Check out the following Link:

Clocked over 300 M, loaded down. High Speeds reached.

No changes in handling.

Bike does well in the canyons too.

Trip looks like it shall be Bakersfield-Ridgecrest-Yosemite (Via Tioga Pass), then back to Bakersfield hugging the west of the Sierras.

July 2012.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #41
rajavw OP
Adventurer

Finally a viable solution, much smaller though. A Givi E30N.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #42
greystoke
2 wheel whore

Oddometer: 123
Depends how far you want to go...

My brother and I did about 21,000 kms (app 13,000miles) self supported back in 2006 on a pair of px200's.
We had a local guy rig up some loop frames to hold ABS pelican cases. The cases were bigger than we wanted but for the price I couldn't knock them back.

The frame had four attachment points on each side to which the loop bolted. The bags attached to the loops. The loops had to be removable to get to the sidepanels. Held up fine and actually gave us quite a bit of side protection from falls. Won't help you in a crash from the front though...

We were carrying about 50kg of gear as well as an additional 7 litre external tank plumbed into the line so we could switch when the main ran dry. Too much weight as planning for too many potential problems but as the trip progressed, stuff got ditched and the load lightened. Turned out that all the problems we did have were ones we didn't plan for but that's life. I didn't want shitloads of weight hanging off the back and tried to bring it closer to the middle of the bike.

Mostly road but a few hundred k's of dirt. Went through 5 rears and arrived home on the same front.

Tons of pics on the diary pages at http://www.rightaroundaustralia.com/

PM me for any further info. Good luck
www.rightaroundaustralia.com

PX200
'86 K100RS
K7 DR650SE
greystoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #43
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyred View Post
Do you not have legislation in the US to which such a trailer should comply? We here in Europe have lots of regulations, and one of them is that you are not allowed to have any trailer attached to your motorcycle or scooter in any other way then trough a towing hook. So no single wheel trailer, no fixed mount to the bike, etc etc.

This all makes it a little bit more difficult, and certainly more expensive then the cheap trailer examples we see in the most posts. Motorcycle luggage trailers over here are quite expensive, mostly around € 1.500 and upward....

So, I am thinking of building one of my own.
\
Nope I walk into the agent where i live and fill in a form and they issue reg and a plate for it at least in BC Canada. Reg as u built trailer. If you want to spend the cash the pv 41 single wheel trailer clone are being sold for 600 bucks by royal enfliend usa online. Considering the company in India that makes they sell them for 400 bucks in India its an ok deal if you can't weld . Myself I m touring as soon as some money comes in the next 4 months. The only issues is Helix or C3 cube. With the helix I can build a sidecar and carried more stuff and go faster. With a c3 I can build a single wheel trailer go father for less. WHen you don't have any issues with time then it makes it harder to choose. Since I will never have to be home for kids ,wife , morage etc you have to choose wisely.

fullmetalscooter screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 07:17 PM
fullmetalscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:58 AM   #44
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,500
That's a beautiful Vespa. P200E? I also ride a Stella, and found from experience leaving stop lights with the front wheel in the air that you need to avoid putting much more weight in the back. Almost all the weight of both the scooter and the rider is already on the back wheel. I would put the heavier stuff on a front rack.

I just received a Shad topcase, along with a bike specific luggage rack/mounting base for my Zuma 125. I was going to get the Yamaha rack, and rig a top box on it, but found Shad had everything. Their rack was made specifically for their mounting bases. No making homemade brackets. I got a 33 liter top case. With the top case, underseat storage (which the Vespa and Stella don't have) a backpack, and using the floorboard for storage (I also got highway pegs) it should be enough room for a several day trip. I may add soft saddlebags later.

You are almost certainly looking at an adventure. At my age and in my condition I would not take off on a long trip on an old 2 stroke Vespa or a Stella. They definitely have the look and character I love, but they are not the most reliable scooters ever made. And while I have done it, I am no longer in any condition to be rebuilding an engine beside the road.

I hope you make a trip report on it.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #45
Moto Mark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Hi rajavw, who makes the rack for your PX? I'd like to rig a Pelican case on my PX and I think a rack like yours would be the ticket.