Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #466
Coachgeo
Diesel Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Read something about TRACK putting some bikes in the Baja 1000 but only found that ref. in one place so not sure if it happend (or just not happened yet)
Coachgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #467
panhead_dan
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 707
I don't know how I missed this thread last year but thanks for digging it up!

A light, simple, torquey D/S with not a lot of electronic crap on it. It runs forever on a tank of fuel and the engine will last at least twice as long as anything else out there. I'll bet it will run on used cooking oil!
This one has my interest....
panhead_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #468
Rotten Ronnie
Crash

Oddometer: 349
Thumb

I'm in love with the concept, and hopefully one day might be able to afford to add a bike like this to my stable. Well done!

Ride Reports and other drivel:
http://rottenxxxronnie.blogspot.com/
Rotten Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:15 AM   #469
Trackie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
A short update: this week i passed the 40,000 km. After 11,000 km the new CVT belt still looks very good with very little signs of wear. I'm convinced i can do at least another 10k with it.
Trackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:28 AM   #470
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 749
Any news on this beast comin to North America?
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:28 AM   #471
Trackie
Adventurer

I believe there is a Canadian importer who also takes care of USA. Link just 2 pages back but copied here for your Instant Satisfaction: www.trackdiesel.ca
Old 04-20-2012, 01:56 AM   #472
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackie View Post
I believe there is a Canadian importer who also takes care of USA. Link just 2 pages back but copied here for your Instant Satisfaction: www.trackdiesel.ca
I'm interested in the costs of maintenance based on private ownership. Living apr a good 3 hours drive from the factory, and knowing the maintenance & service will be done at your doorstep or at the place where you work, it will cost a fortune in labour to get to- and from my place without tightning even one bolt... Unless your bike is on a lease contract which would make it less interesting for private ownership...

Could you share some information on those aspects? Would be appreciated. Replacement of the CVT belt every 16.000 km / 10.000 miles doesn't sound cheap either... despite the (very) good fuel economy.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #473
Trackie
Adventurer

Well, it's been 2 years and one day since i got my Track. Total milage in that time: 41,637 km, without major breakdowns due to failure of components and normal use. I'd like to thank Erik for making this great machine and offering me the opportunity to be the first person to get one.

I have no regrets whatsoever. Compared to my car it saves me about 200 euro/month and over 100 euro/month compared to my Africa Twin. I have to add that diesel is subsidized by the Dutch government so it's roughly 25 to 30 cents/liter cheaper than regular gasoline so savings in other countries will be less.

With regards to Two Plugs' question about cost of ownership: mine are skewed (in a positive way) because my Track is the first one sold to an end customer and therefore they kept a close eye on it. Consequently i have received updates, checkups and some maintenance free of charge.

I do know that a new belt costs about 100 euro. Compared to a new Honda original chain/sprocket set (~200 euro) and the hassle of changing the chain myself i'd say i'm better off with the belt. A Honda set would last me 10k km without a Scott Oiler and 20k km with. The belt i have on it right now has over 12k km on it and looks good enough for at least another 12k. If one is mechanically inclined one can change the belt oneself, other standard maintenance is ofcourse also DIY possible. Also a belt is far easier and lighter to pack and lug around.

How long the belt lasts is for a large part dependent on how heavy handed one is when accelerating from standstill. I usually get it rolling first and then open up more, especially after a days' or nights' standstill. Suddenly throwing 100 Nm of torque at parts that are cold and not moving or turning is never a good idea. The bike is also pretty easy on the wear of rear tire because of the characteristics of the transmission system (it lays on the power instead of just letting it all loose at once) and my chosen my way of accelerating.

As to my use: i mostly commute on it (about 2000 km/month) so normally it is not heavily stressed. Also doing long vacation trips on it is a pleasure, mostly because it wears me out a lot slower than the AT. For me it's pretty much ideal.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:55 AM   #474
Olirider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Trackie, Thanks for the report as the 1rst owner.
Could you tell us what was your average mileage (liter per 100 km) during these 41000 km ?
Olirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:11 AM   #475
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
Thnx for the update, Trackie. Appreciated.

Regarding the chain... If you use an Honda Original within 10.000 km / 20.000 with scotty on a Africa Twin (which has the same poweroutput as the Track 800, only with far less torque) your belt won't last for 10.000 km either.

You are right, the CVT belt is about 100 / 15.000 km. And a chain / sprockets for (f.e.) my Varadero is about 200, incl labour. But that last for at least 30.000 km (without a scottie but with a MOTUL chainlube spraycan ;) ); so in fact, that's the same price per kilometer...

Erik Vegt is indeed a very skilled engeneer which you can tell on the way the Track is put together. No expensives are saved on materials and parts and the bike looks if it is carved out of a solid rock.

But keep us posted. Looking forward to read more stuff about the running costs.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #476
Bert Track
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
After almost 5000km the rear tire shows still no sign of wear. I think possibly the little wear on that can be added to the benefit.

I took the liberty to make a small recording of the cvt belt in action. Secundairy side only. And limited speed since i was just testing the angle if it was any good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3YPLvHEuXY
Bert Track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:28 AM   #477
Trackie
Adventurer

Next weekend (June 1st/3rd) is the Big Knock Diesel Motorcycle Rally in UK. Erik and me will be there on June 2nd and part of the 3rd. If you would like to get more hands on information you are welcome to come over and have a chat and such.

http://www.dieselbike.net/Rally-Info/rally.htm
Old 05-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #478
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackie View Post
Next weekend (June 1st/3rd) is the Big Knock Diesel Motorcycle Rally in UK. Erik and me will be there on June 2nd and part of the 3rd. If you would like to get more hands on information you are welcome to come over and have a chat and such.

http://www.dieselbike.net/Rally-Info/rally.htm
That looks like a right proper campout and rally. Cheers...
Old 06-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #479
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,745
Diesel-Shaft Drive...Yeah!

http://www.bikeexif.com/track-t-800c...sel-motorcycle
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #480
rotten
LOST AGAIN

Oddometer: 670
Another Track thread... Few of these in advrider.
rotten is offline   Reply With Quote