User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #31
elsalvadorklr OP
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,140
sounds good taco!

if you think about it its damn cheap, about $300 for a swap...a freaking cam for example costs that plus gaskets...

better suspension=faster
better cam=faster and faster crashes! jajajaj

later
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:29 AM   #32
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
sounds good taco!

if you think about it its damn cheap, about $300 for a swap...a freaking cam for example costs that plus gaskets...

better suspension=faster
better cam=faster and faster crashes! jajajaj

later
I've been watching ebay a little and have decided you have to it regularly to find good deals. Otherwise you could spend upwards of $800 for a complete front end before any wrenchs are turned! I also want to keep the factory speedo.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #33
elsalvadorklr OP
southern xr rider

ebay how to do it! jajaja

this is very true! you have to hunt... same with craigslist too, you have to be ready cash in hand with the amount your are willing to spend

say you want to spend max $250 for the forks, so look for buy it now options, if you dont have any popping up, place a LOW bid on forks that are being sold by bids...

the forks we got we got for $217 shipped...they are pristine, and steve as always has a system for us when buying stuff there

once we had the forks, we had to decide on wether keeping the odo drive and all, so options we had left were crf/crfx wheels...

plenty of options there,

then I told steve, hey I dont want mismatched colored wheels as I invested a lot at buchanans and excel to get the correct made to fit spokes for the front and rear...and excel black rims...sooooo

within days a black excel crf450x wheel popped up and bamn!

then steve bought an odo drive, and spacers and we were money

you cant just buy everything at one whole go, but if you are diligent anything is possible

the wheel btw was $79, black excel, yes it was nicely used BUT all I had to do was swap in new bearings(they were the originals, another good sign too) and wipe it down...

so good luck man!
Old 04-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #34
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:

Christian,

Am I seeing correctly that you used tie-wraps on the headlight straps because they wouldn't fit round the big USD's?

I'll be running into the same problem when I do the swap, seems like as good a solution as any
Old 04-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #35
Brtp4
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,969
Quote:
this is very true! you have to hunt... same with craigslist too, you have to be ready cash in hand with the amount your are willing to spend

say you want to spend max $250 for the forks, so look for buy it now options, if you dont have any popping up, place a LOW bid on forks that are being sold by bids...

the forks we got we got for $217 shipped...they are pristine, and steve as always has a system for us when buying stuff there

once we had the forks, we had to decide on wether keeping the odo drive and all, so options we had left were crf/crfx wheels...

plenty of options there,

then I told steve, hey I dont want mismatched colored wheels as I invested a lot at buchanans and excel to get the correct made to fit spokes for the front and rear...and excel black rims...sooooo

within days a black excel crf450x wheel popped up and bamn!

then steve bought an odo drive, and spacers and we were money

you cant just buy everything at one whole go, but if you are diligent anything is possible

the wheel btw was $79, black excel, yes it was nicely used BUT all I had to do was swap in new bearings(they were the originals, another good sign too) and wipe it down...

so good luck man!
Hey ESK, I have a front end I am going to sell. CRF-X forks (better, don't need to be revalved), X front wheel (better), X speedo drive, axle and spacers, CRF disc, 2 CRF calipers w/mount bracket and new pads, Acerbis fork guards, and an Emig stem. Pretty much everything. If you know anyone that wants them, it will be $450 plus shipping for all. I can do finished triples also for another $125.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR

Brtp4 screwed with this post 04-21-2012 at 08:59 AM
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #36
elsalvadorklr OP
southern xr rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay_xr View Post
Christian,

Am I seeing correctly that you used tie-wraps on the headlight straps because they wouldn't fit round the big USD's?

I'll be running into the same problem when I do the swap, seems like as good a solution as any
um you shouldnt of noticed that jajaja thats the sailor in me, at least there is no duct tape(the silver tape) on the bike

Im pretty sure I can find some straps that fit the cr forks and headlight

the thing is I paid top dollar for OEM replacement straps less than a year ago...theye were 25 a peice

so zipties it is

another good use for ziptes which I dont have a pic yet is to use to small zipties and tie them together, align the ends so that they are 180 degrees from each other and use them to keep the fork skins in place..snd the sliders away..

the ends with a little extra tip helps keep the sliders from rubbing on the fork skins and upper tubes, just like the fancy expensive ones they sell online...

the ziptie not only keep the fork skins in place but they prevent chafing

jajaja
tip no.2

cheers

p.s.if you do use zipties may I suggest BLACK? jajaja I was too lazy

elsalvadorklr screwed with this post 04-20-2012 at 09:08 AM
Old 04-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #37
elsalvadorklr OP
southern xr rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Hey ESK, I have a front end I am going to sell. CRF-X forks (better, don't need to be revalved), X front wheel (better), X speedo drive, axle and spacers, CRF disc, CRF caliper and mount bracket, Acerbis fork guards, and an Emig stem. Pretty much everything. If you know anyone that wants them, it will be $450 plus shipping for all. I can do triples also for another $125.

BP
damn

where where you a month back? jajaja

well maybe someone down here would like a setup

thats a great deal

damn If i had another bike to restore and upgrade this would be it!

check mcma111(steve) hes always wanting spares to trade and or sell

cheers man
Old 04-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #38
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
um you shouldnt of noticed that jajaja thats the sailor in me

That's what I was thinking

Bought a batch of 300 medium size black zipties the other day, since I'm always running out if I buy them in the 50 piece packets
Old 04-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #39
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay_xr View Post
Sweet deal dude! Good luck with the swap!

I can't tell you if the stems will be the same, but if someone in the "Call all XR600" topic can't tell you, you can contact these guys http://www.allballsracing.com/

They can probably help you

This is what I all scored for $236.50...

Thats a brand new Dunlop GEOMAX MX31F tire and has new EBC brake pads.

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #40
elsalvadorklr OP
southern xr rider

well

you beat me then.....cant win em all

although I do have a black excel wheel, top that! jajaja

kidding

looks awesome

how are the internals?

Im so happy mine are pristine

still had the stock oil, seals, everything

congrats man!
Old 04-21-2012, 06:29 AM   #41
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Hey ESK, I have a front end I am going to sell. CRF-X forks (better, don't need to be revalved), X front wheel (better), X speedo drive, axle and spacers, CRF disc, CRF caliper and mount bracket, Acerbis fork guards, and an Emig stem. Pretty much everything. If you know anyone that wants them, it will be $450 plus shipping for all. I can do triples also for another $125.

BP
Brian!!!

Why do you have all the stuff I want when I don't have the $$$$ to buy it??? DOUBLE DANG!

Stuart

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:31 AM   #42
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post

This is what I all scored for $236.50...

Thats a brand new Dunlop GEOMAX MX31F tire and has new EBC brake pads.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #43
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:
hey mental nice

think your golden with the swap too

my usds came in at 217 shipped, jajaja

I gave up on sourcing the 250 sidepanels and seat it was too complicated and bulky to ship down here not to mention getting the xr250r tank

I like my setup finally and maybe all I can do to help my seat height is ti shave down an inch off the top but so far its fine

I have more race sag now both front and back

it used to be that because I was compensating for too plush and soft stock suspension that I had my preload all the way up in the back and cut springs and spacers up front...

what that did was add more seat height and only helped in whoops and landing jumps, evrything elses was bouncy and marbly as hell

I have 4 inches race sag in the back now and bout 2.5 to 3 in the front

my tell tale sign Im good is if I push down on the seat when upright I get equal compression front and back which is what you want when dialing on the suspension, maybe a bit more in the back but its soooooooooooooooooooooo compliant now yet wont bottom out.

yet!

cheers

hey any help with my gasket issue?

its bumming me out

About your gasket issue...

I would use new honda gaskets since they are easy to get here...

If I was using an aftermarket cylinder base gasket I would use some 3M super weatherstrip adhesive on the cylinder side of the gasket and some spray gasket sealer I have from Mopar on the other side. I know the gasket should seal and won't move or squeeze out this way.

I'll be using a Clark 2.6 tank like yours with a +1" XR600R seat and the cut XR250R side panels. The XR250R side panel pics are with a XR600R seat and IMS 4.0 XR600/650 tank. The XR250R side panels are the only parts I'll be using from it.

I was thinking all black plastic with a dark charcoal frame, a charcoal engine and a bunch of shinny aluminum for the new color scheme...

The '99 CR500 forks only cost $71.00 shipped to my door... Heavy springs to offset my mass will cost more then I paid for the forks...

I still need fork guards and the brake guard. I'll need the mounting bolts too.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #44
Brtp4
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250 View Post
Brian!!!

Why do you have all the stuff I want when I don't have the $$$$ to buy it??? DOUBLE DANG!

Stuart
Stu!!! Hope all is well down in the deep South!!

I spent a while collecting it all up for an XR250R swap, changed my mind on it.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #45
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:
um you shouldnt of noticed that jajaja thats the sailor in me, at least there is no duct tape(the silver tape) on the bike

Im pretty sure I can find some straps that fit the cr forks and headlight

the thing is I paid top dollar for OEM replacement straps less than a year ago...theye were 25 a peice

so zipties it is

another good use for ziptes which I dont have a pic yet is to use to small zipties and tie them together, align the ends so that they are 180 degrees from each other and use them to keep the fork skins in place..snd the sliders away..

the ends with a little extra tip helps keep the sliders from rubbing on the fork skins and upper tubes, just like the fancy expensive ones they sell online...

the ziptie not only keep the fork skins in place but they prevent chafing

jajaja
tip no.2

cheers

We all know you used white because you wanted your creative ideas to get noticed.

Nice idea for the fork skin sliders zipties.