ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #76
IntrepidRunner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Can an iPhone accept GPS downloads typical of that done at organized DS rides?

What kind of cable will be needed?
IntrepidRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:19 AM   #77
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntrepidRunner View Post

I've been to lots of dual sport event's but never to one that give you GPS tracks. In fact, some don't allow GPS's as they don't want you recording the track and coming back and riding it or distributing it as most of the land is on private property.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:08 AM   #78
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,692
Quote:
Using MotionX-GPS, you can drag and drop GPX files in from iTunes or they can be imported directly from an email attachment.

Quote:
The events I've been to have been basically a guy with a notebook running MapSource (for Garmin) and the appropriate serial and USB cables. Being able to sync through iTunes on somebody else's computer is a non-trivial task as it requires authorizing the machine, etc. It's not a viable solution, IMO.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #79
IntrepidRunner
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
Using MotionX-GPS, you can drag and drop GPX files in from iTunes or they can be imported directly from an email attachment.

The events I've been to have been basically a guy with a notebook running MapSource (for Garmin) and the appropriate serial and USB cables. Being able to sync through iTunes on somebody else's computer is a non-trivial task as it requires authorizing the machine, etc. It's not a viable solution, IMO.
Really great input EmmEff! Jeff, around California, receiving GPS files for DS rides is common.

EmmEff, I agree, syncing through somebody's else's machine is not a viable solution, but importing GPX files from an email is perfect! that's what I'll do.

The a DS ride organizer sent me the following requiremetns for a naviagation device. Do you think an iphone running Motion-X will comply with these requirements?

You can mount it on your handlebars where it is easily visible from a seated, riding position.
You can upload at least two of the following three items into the unit: routes, waypoints & track logs. Of these track logs are probably the most valuable.
The unit will also display 2 of the above 3 items on the screen. Track logs being the most important.
Unit must be able to accept a .GPX file (we email out .GPX files about a week before the event).
Old 04-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #80
IntrepidRunner
Gnarly Adventurer

I have bad near vision and need to have items near my face to read. My distance vision is OK with glasses. Could a wrist mounted iPhone case work during a DS ride? To navigate, I would simply look at the display on my wrist.

This wrist case would not easily allow a PowerLet cord, so the iPhone must run on batteries. How long will an iPhone battery last when receiving GPS signals?
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #81
IntrepidRunner
Gnarly Adventurer

Could a saddle mounted iPhone work for off-road navigation?

http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/enduro...ne-pocket.html
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #82
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,692
Quote:
The a DS ride organizer sent me the following requiremetns for a naviagation device. Do you think an iphone running Motion-X will comply with these requirements?

You can mount it on your handlebars where it is easily visible from a seated, riding position.
You can upload at least two of the following three items into the unit: routes, waypoints & track logs. Of these track logs are probably the most valuable.
The unit will also display 2 of the above 3 items on the screen. Track logs being the most important.
Unit must be able to accept a .GPX file (we email out .GPX files about a week before the event).
Yes, I think so. I've not used MotionX-GPS on my bike, but it fits those criteria. It obviously accepts a GPX and will show tracks and waypoints. Not sure about the support for routes since I've never tried it, but perhaps somebody else will chime in on that.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:35 AM   #83
IntrepidRunner
Gnarly Adventurer

iPhone battery life

How long will an iPhone 4S be able to receive GPS signals while running on the battery?
Old 04-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #84
Mr Dual Sport
Roamer

Oddometer: 1,403
Quote:
How long will an iPhone 4S be able to receive GPS signals while running on the battery?
I turn off the data use on my phone (have maps downloaded using Gaia) and turn wifi off. With the phone options set like that I can record tracks for 12 hours straight with Gaia running in the background and have about 40 to 50% of the battery left depending how often I look at the screen.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #85
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
This wrist case would not easily allow a PowerLet cord, so the iPhone must run on batteries. How long will an iPhone battery last when receiving GPS signals?
With the screen on and at full brightness to combat direct sunlight, around 2 hours.

With the screen off, I've done a 6 hour ride and still had a bit of juice left, maybe 8 hours max?

This was using MotionX GPS set to it's most power hungry (and most accurate) track recording mode. Different apps will probably drain the battery at different speeds.

Also, as the battery gets older and depending on your usage/charge cycles and the luck-of-the-draw physical properties of your individual battery... you will notice the battery life go downhill over time. A new device gets much longer battery life than a two year old one.

If you've got a strong phone signal, your battery will last longer. My 6 hour test was mostly in poor or no signal areas. Removing the sim card (assuming it's a GSM iPhone) will probably give significantly better battery life, but I haven't tested. Airplane mode disables the GPS receiver unfortunately, which is stupid in my opinion.

You can buy battery packs that double the battery life of the phone, according to (possibly biased) claims of the companies that sell them. And I reckon you could charge the phone while riding... keep in mind, a flat lithium-ion battery charges *much* faster than an almost full one. So if you're down around 10% and charge it for 5 minutes while having a break from riding, it will actually get quite a lot of charge in. Pay attention to how many watts the charger puts out. Look for "iPad compatible" if you can, they're beefier and will charge an iPhone quicker than an "iPhone compatible" charger.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #86
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,206
Quote:
It probably differs with the 4S, but my 3GS will last two to three hours with screen settings on bright with the Navigon app open and all others closed. The navigation apps are real power hogs (well, likely the internal GPS within the phone is what is really hogging the power).

I put a DC cigarette lighter adapter in both of my bikes. I got the one they sell at Radioshack for like $8. I then use a little bit of silicone caulking around the base where the wires come out to waterproof it and use heat shrink wrap where appropriate. It works great and only takes about 30 minutes to put in, if taking your time and being tedious with it (though, of course, I'd imagine this could vary depending on the bike).

Anytime I have the iPhone on the mount, I have it on the charger. This way, I can keep the screen as bright as I want and don't have to worry about battery life. If I wasn't going to put a DC adapter on the bike, I wouldn't even consider using the iPhone as a navigation device. They eat battery life too quickly and the last thing I want is to drain the battery on my phone and then be left with a dead phone when I really need it.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #87
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
This may be the final answer in the phone/nav/music search:

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/...xperia-active/

A fully waterproof Android phone...looks indestructible.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #88
motoroberto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
How do you get motion-x to plot a route? I downloaded it and imported some gpx files (to my iphone 4s), but when I ask it to follow a track or go to a destination it just shows a 'crow flies' line and total distance without directions.

Brooklyn to Puerto Escondido, MX:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=931315
motoroberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #89
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
The navigation apps are real power hogs (well, likely the internal GPS within the phone is what is really hogging the power).
The GPS chip does use a bit of power, as do the accelerometer, magnetometer and gyroscope (all of which are used by most navigation apps), but the real power killer is the screen (if it's on) and the CPU/GPU (which must also be turned on, and is working pretty hard especially if it's applying error correction to the GPS signal - which it usually is).

Your 3GS battery life seems a bit better than I get from my iPhone 4. Probably the retina screen is a bit more power hungry and pushes the GPU harder.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:01 PM   #90
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoroberto View Post
How do you get motion-x to plot a route? I downloaded it and imported some gpx files (to my iphone 4s), but when I ask it to follow a track or go to a destination it just shows a 'crow flies' line and total distance without directions.
MotionX GPS doesn't do routes, it only does tracks. It's not designed to be used for street navigation.

You can convert routes to tracks... see various other threads. ;-)