User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
Mike D OP
Corporate Cog

Oddometer: 1,312
Grips

(Used the search function - didn't come up with anything)

The grips on my '08 GG280Pro are shot - heading to the local shop for replacements. The place mainly carries dirtbike stuff - nothing trials specific.

Any recommendations on what to look for, or what not to look for?

I'm assuming the thinnest, basically most plain thing they have. Correct? Any specific recommendations?

Thanks.........
"There are dreams of love, life, and adventure in all of us. But we are also sadly filled with reasons why we shouldn't try. These reasons seem to protect us, but in truth they imprison us. They hold life at a distance. Life will be over sooner than we think. If we have bikes to ride and people to love, now is the time." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross (1926-2004)

Help keep our trails open; join COHVCO
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
(Used the search function - didn't come up with anything)

The grips on my '08 GG280Pro are shot - heading to the local shop for replacements. The place mainly carries dirtbike stuff - nothing trials specific.

Any recommendations on what to look for, or what not to look for?

I'm assuming the thinnest, basically most plain thing they have. Correct? Any specific recommendations?

Thanks.........

Consider the very good Pro Grip 838:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ial-Grips.aspx
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
ThrottleJock
Shaved Ape

Oddometer: 60
Renthal full diamond in medium compound. Excellent grip for use in trials (with thin gloves)
Old 04-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrottleJock View Post
Renthal full diamond in medium compound. Excellent grip for use in trials (with thin gloves)
+1
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
Mike D OP
Corporate Cog

Thanks guys...
"There are dreams of love, life, and adventure in all of us. But we are also sadly filled with reasons why we shouldn't try. These reasons seem to protect us, but in truth they imprison us. They hold life at a distance. Life will be over sooner than we think. If we have bikes to ride and people to love, now is the time." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross (1926-2004)

Old 04-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,244
Quote:
Thanks guys...
I will say, grips are like kind of personal preference like socks or boxers/briefs... You'll get the ones you like. you could use dirtbike grips in a pinch but I never would myself.

Just keep in mind, the trials grips have been refined for years, to "our" market or use. Grips with big ass flanges, located where you 1st finger and thumb wrap around the grip, will be worthless, and interfere with levers... BUT you can trim that flange off, like some do. I like the Hebo black grips that were standard for several years... I had quite a few, no idea if you can still or when you can get them, or if you find them online.

Dad likes his renthals as posted above, by Throttle Jock. My son liked grips that were made by domino... So best bet, IMHO something to think about.... "IF" you already liked the ones you had, find those? and get a pair shipped to you, then second thing is, since they are all relatively cheap, hell try a few different ones...

I should try others, I am sometimes resistant to try something until I cant get what I already like...

good luck shopping.

PS, I seem to fall on the left side more than anything else, so I have a bar end on there, I dont have bar end of right side, I just hated it being there... Plus rights are thinner. So, have like 4 left side grips in the spares cabinet, due to tearing the right side ones more often lol. Safety wire is better than glue, if you get the "knack" of hiding the pigtails, down well!
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #7
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,266
I'm running (and liking) orange KTM half-waffle grips!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #8
Mike D OP
Corporate Cog

Due to lack of selection, I went with these:

These are the same grips I run on my DRZ, and I've really liked the feel of them. The levers don't hit the flanges, just needed to adjust the clutch/brake slightly to compensate for the thickness. Rode for a few hours this weekend, they seem to be just fine.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Quote:
Due to lack of selection, I went with these:
These are the same grips I run on my DRZ, and I've really liked the feel of them. The levers don't hit the flanges, just needed to adjust the clutch/brake slightly to compensate for the thickness. Rode for a few hours this weekend, they seem to be just fine.
Thickness? oh, I cant wear thick gloves, nor have thick grips, I cramp my arms up faster if I do.

Ill have to see if I can find a picture of those Gordy uses, lol
Old 04-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
KellyC
TimeKeeper

Oddometer: 604
The OEM Honda half waffle grips that come with the CRFs are a nice alternative if you can't find trials specific grips.

They are very thin.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #11
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer: 4,683
Have you tried Spider grips? The SLR are pretty thin with small flange. They have a few other models, thickness, flange size etc.

potatoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #12
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
Thickness? oh, I cant wear thick gloves, nor have thick grips, I cramp my arms up faster if I do.

Ill have to see if I can find a picture of those Gordy uses, lol
Here ya go, taken yesterday.

Also got a little bit of glove in there in case you were wondering about that too!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #13
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

I bought a pair of progrips to try after this weekend. Maybe.... I still hate changing

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk