User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #31
CrozB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Bought 3 Scorpion EXO-900 Transformers

I am on my 2nd EXO-900 and my Wife is on her 1st. I have an issue with BOTH the pressure on the forehead and the left side of my jawbone joint feeling pressured after 1 hour of riding. Originally I had a XL. I sold that (at a loss) and bought a XXL. It really didn’t help at all. My wife on the other had loves hers. We have gone on all day rides together and she has no complaints at all. There is something to be said for the fit; when we get off the bike after an all day ride, and my forehead is in pain, my wife says that I have a huge indentation in my forehead, where she does not. HORSEMOTO, is correct that you can remove some of the internal marital to help with the forehead pressure, but the chin strap sitting right across the pressure point of the jaw bone is unbearable. I might try NoDirt4Me’s method of “cut out that strap retaining do-dad” and see if that helps. I LOVE the helmet until the pain starts. Then the ride become miserable.

Moral of the story for me, buy a helmet from a place with a good return/exchange policy. (oh and watch the flea market as there might be a XXL for sale soon ).

-D
Old 10-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #32
Nullya
Nullya

Oddometer: 1
Same forehead torture for me

Jeff - Bought one of these EXO900 this spring and can't ride more then an hour without an irritating forehead rub. I thought the liner was rough so I stuck moleskin to the affected area. Now I can ride longer but after a recent 1200 mile trip I was stuck dealing with enough irritation to give my forehead small skin blisters. My problem is that I can't feel anything wrong when I first put the helmet on. I also contacted Scorpion and they told my they have a new liner releasing with helmets shipping in October. I am not sure I want to put anymore money into this helmet since I can't clearly identify the problem. Thinking maybe I will sell it and move on or just use it for a commuting helmet??
Nullya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:02 AM   #33
PARIAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Normally I keep helmets for several years, unless damaged. The Transformer was the exception. One season and I wanted to get rid of it before then.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:00 PM   #34
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,261
Second night of commuting the 40 miles to work tonight - thunderstorms and rain a-plenty... the Exo-900 did very well compared to my 1 year-old HJC CL-16. The biggest problem were the cars on the highway that would hydroplane if they reached any reasonable speed... so I had a lot of lane changing to get to work on time. Still, with all of that spray and rain, the helmet kept me dry (I have no windscreen on the bike). I am impressed.

I thought i might have had that pressure point on mine (it was just purchased and arrived to my door last week, so... maybe it has a redesigned liner?), but now i think it was because it is a tight fitting helmet and i was chewing gum (so my jaw was pulling on the chin strap, pulling the helmet down, lol). I really don't know what to think since it's only been about 130 miles with it.

I am willing to take a straight-down picture shot of the inner liner if you guys want to judge to see if they actually changed it. I bought mine from the Motorcycle Superstore, so with that October deadline of the change-over and the Superstore's sales, I have to imagine mine was made after October. I'll look at the box to see if there is any made-on date when I get home.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:46 PM   #35
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 391
Hey all, sorry I didn't see this sooner, but may be able to help. I was having a similar problem with my exo900-XL, was sort of ok fit until I fastened down the front, then it was like a vice on my head, lol. Didn't get better. I was about to throw it away when I talked to a guy at Scorpion who gave me a part number for ordering a liner/cheekpad combo for an XXL. It is 5mm smaller than the XL, and when it got here and I put it in, great googly moogly! Felt so much better I was actually laughing.

Find a local shop that sells Scorpions and order off the numbers on the picture. They even sell an XXXL that is 10 mm smaller, I believe. Anyway, solved my problems...liner also does not put the tattoo on my forehead as much, but I also wear a do rag underneath and it evens out the pressure points...so far I am loving the new fit. Can't help about any leaking, mine went through some bad stuff and hasn't done so yet. This label is on the plastic bag ordered directly by the local Honda shop. The Scorpion rep was there and verified it. Price was like 39.99, much cheaper than a new helmet...which I was about to buy!

Sorry, tried to post a link to a pic but it keeps disappearing...below is the label data.

Item NO: 89-0325
Name: KW Liner
Fit For: EXO-900
Color: Gray/Black 2XL
MFR#: 19-603-03-07
Scorpion Helmets RS8
EXO-900 Liner GRY 2XL

Ricky Chuck screwed with this post 04-20-2012 at 11:58 PM
Ricky Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:13 AM   #36
Effervescent
Sexiest ADVrider '13

Oddometer: 1,797
Just picked up a neon XXL new off FleaBay for $161 shipped. I KNOW!

The seller (a bike dealership) has a ton of sizes and that HAS to be the best price in town. PM me if you can't find him.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:33 AM   #37
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,077
I still wear mine every day. This is the longest lasting helmet I have ever had.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #38
Effervescent
Sexiest ADVrider '13

Was hoping mine would arrive before the weekend but didn't happen.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #39
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Wow, a thread I forgot all about.

I gave up on my EXO-900 for the reasons CrozB listed above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrozB View Post
I am on my 2nd EXO-900 and my Wife is on her 1st. I have an issue with BOTH the pressure on the forehead and the left side of my jawbone joint feeling pressured after 1 hour of riding.
-D

Top mid forhead pressure point that was too much on longer trips, and pressure on the jaw that, even to this day, I don't ever feel over the short hauls, but over the 300 or 500 mile days it became excruciating. Flipping up the front helped with that pressure, but the ache would stay - and I wouldn't flip it up for very long on long highway trips before I decided that it was too risky and dangerous to travel without the full-face protection at those speeds.

So it is now a commuting helmet - but only after comuting the 80 mile days a lot with it. The guys at my new job noticed a bald(er) spot at the front middle of my hairline that I suspect is due to the EXO-900 since it's so odd a shape, and since it's right where the EXO placed pressure.

Not happy I bought it, but I did find that I like a convertible helmet around town - just not this one.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Old 08-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #40
Effervescent
Sexiest ADVrider '13

Did you try the suggested liner replacement?

Still waiting on my shipment.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #41
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effervescent View Post
Did you try the suggested liner replacement?

Still waiting on my shipment.
No.

I decided to start only buying helmets that truly fit my head shape - not ones engineered to try to fit all of them. This pretty much rules out all 'dual sport' helmets, and most convertible helmets like the EXO.

First and foremost, for the amounts I ride, I demand to at least see four different sized shells for a model of helmet (to make sure that fit is a criteria the maker is actually considering), and then it needs to be long-oval.

For years I had a great fitting Shoei. I tried to get away from paying for that expensive of a helmet twice now with these 'fit all' helmets (HJC and Scorpion), and am done playing games with them.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR