ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #17521
Kanook
Adventure zymologist

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-K View Post
Thought this might bring a tear to the eye of all you BMW owners out there.

BMW of Salt Lake closed their doors about 2 weeks ago . The sign on the door says they are out of business and to go visit BMW of Utah for all of your Bavarian Motorad needs.
My thoughts, after they gave up KTM in '07, they just weren't cool enough to stay in business. Bummer, as they were within walking distance of my work, made for convenient tire changes and such.
No surprise.
KTM had nothing to do with it. It's all about customer service
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Kanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #17522
950katoom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
BMW of Salt Lake closed their doors about 2 weeks ago . The sign on the door says they are out of business and to go visit BMW of Utah for all of your Bavarian Motorad needs.
It was obvious that the GM had been trying to put the place out of business for quite a while. He couldn't even do that right! Took him longer than expected.

Heard that the dealer in Sandy finally got rid of their GM. Might have to check the place out now. It is certainly more convenient than going to Reno. I'm still happy with Bavarian Motorcycle Workshop for service.
950katoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:30 AM   #17523
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailtwister View Post
Friggin stock Katoom seat is not much better than wrapping the top tube with a slice of bacon.
When I first got my 525 I considered the seat comparable to the thin edge of a 2x4. First mod I did was a Renazco seat. It took about 10 weeks to get, but ultimately I have been extremely happy with it. Luckily I purchased a used KTM seat on ebay before I sent mine in to get recovered. Given the time delay, this proved to be a wise choice. I turned around and sold the ebay seat in three days for the same price I paid for it.

Todd-Squad
Old 04-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #17524
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer: 751
Quote:
Thought this might bring a tear to the eye of all you BMW owners out there.

My thoughts, after they gave up KTM in '07, they just weren't cool enough to stay in business. Bummer, as they were within walking distance of my work, made for convenient tire changes and such.
No actually it kind of makes me smile. I have them to thank for my V-Strom. I went in there to buy a GS1150. They wouldn't give me the time of day. I was the only customer in the shop, it took them 30-45 minutes to talk to me, even after I asked for help. I asked for a test drive and the salesman, in front of the GM/Sales Manager, told me he was to busy. I thanked him and went down to The Point Power Sports (now The Edge) and bought my V-Strom. I think BMW of Salt Lake got exactly what they had coming to them.

Todd-Squad
Old 04-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #17525
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,885
Too bad it wasn't Plaza Cycle. What? Me hold a 12 year grudge???
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #17526
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,654
recon

well... for all of you GS1200 owners out there, I was doing a little hike-the-dog recon today, and I'd say the stansbury front single track is open.

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #17527
stuckinUT
I Wanna Ride!

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Tell me more...
Old 04-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #17528
Double Moo
lookin' for adventure

Oddometer: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev View Post
well... for all of you GS1200 owners out there, I was doing a little hike-the-dog recon today, and I'd say the stansbury front single track is open.
I'd like to ride this single track... What are the details? Parking, distance, time needed, etc...

Thanks.

I rode a fantastic single track to the S.E. of Eagle Mountain friday that I didn't know existed. A friend had ridden it several times and took me there. Great time on it. Once it heats up it will be too dusty and hot... A good spring/fall loop.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #17529
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Bring it on. Got the KLX off the trailer today. Swapped out the pumper carb back to stock
and it started right up. Almost done with my sons remodel so I may get a life yet!

Old 04-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #17530
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Oddometer: 459
Quote:
Hey I was there too, on the BADB. Always wanted to explore the dirt roads in the foothills, and found some challenging stuff. Didn't see any GS 1200 bikes or dog hikers, though.

Current bikes:
'06 KTM 950 Adventure-S
'09 KTM 300 XCW - Plated

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts -- Bertrand Russell
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. Its the life in your years -- Abraham Lincoln
Trailtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #17531
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinUT View Post
Tell me more...
Deep breath... worked there for 8 years as a youngster. When Yamaha's FJR came out it
was $500 deposit preorder only. I did it over the phone and the salesman said I would get
a large discount when it was delivered. Waited 8 months and it finally came in. Salesman had
quit. By then the word on the street was they were a great bike and people who had not preordered
one were looking for them. Long story short, they raped me in everyway posssible on any fee they
could think of. Full price, shipping, assembly, you name it. I tried to be reasonable with them and
mentioned how many bikes I buy as well as own the same brands they sell for parts and service.

They didn't back off and I have not bought a single bike from them since. Chris at South Valley gets
my buisness now. It's a longer drive for me, but they have been good to work with. Honda of Salt Lake
is another place I've bought several bikes through and been happy with how I was treated.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #17532
Kanook
Adventure zymologist

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Quote:
Deep breath... worked there for 8 years as a youngster. When Yamaha's FJR came out it
was $500 deposit preorder only. I did it over the phone and the salesman said I would get
a large discount when it was delivered. Waited 8 months and it finally came in. Salesman had
quit. By then the word on the street was they were a great bike and people who had not preordered
one were looking for them. Long story short, they raped me in everyway posssible on any fee they
could think of. Full price, shipping, assembly, you name it. I tried to be reasonable with them and
mentioned how many bikes I buy as well as own the same brands they sell for parts and service.

They didn't back off and I have not bought a single bike from them since. Chris at South Valley gets
my buisness now. It's a longer drive for me, but they have been good to work with. Honda of Salt Lake
is another place I've bought several bikes through and been happy with how I was treated.
Wait hold on. 12 years ago YOU were a youngster
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Kanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:45 AM   #17533
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanook View Post
Wait hold on. 12 years ago YOU were a youngster
No, no, no... large gap between working there and the FJR incident. I was a loyal customer
until they gave me a reason to not to be. Don't ask why I don't buy cars from Larry Miller dealerships.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:17 AM   #17534
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailtwister View Post
Yeah the Harkster was whining about how his taint ('taint your buthole and 'taint your balls either) was getting chapped in the 'Swell. Threatened to tear a pussyhole in the seat like some of those bicycle seats. Friggin stock Katoom seat is not much better than wrapping the top tube with a slice of bacon.
Mmmmmmmmm..............

Five Mile to Cherry Creek and back through Eureka....they were still recovering from the 3000 Harley riders on Saturday.....it was already hot and dusty with big traffic around Little Sahara.....Medium ADB day.........

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:38 AM   #17535
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post

Five Mile to Cherry Creek and back through Eureka....they were still recovering from the 3000 Harley riders on Saturday.....it was already hot and dusty with big traffic around Little Sahara.....Medium ADB day.........

Wait a minute, is that the Wal-mart ATV seat pad??? If it's good enough for the KLR is must be
good enough for that KTM.