Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #16
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapMaster View Post
Interesting. The returns are always faster for me. Once the end of a long a trip is in sight (figuratively) I tend to push a little more.
Lots of influences at work depending on the situation:
The - No place like home feeling
Finishing a little earlier means more time to regroup before going back to work.
Save $ by one less night in a motel
Tire wearing a bit faster than planned, therefore a more direct/shorter return is in order.

YMMV,

Greg
I like to start a trip with a bullet trajectory and really push the miles because I'm excited to start my vacation. However, on my way back home, I'm not as motivated to get to where I'm going. This isn't always the case, but I like to plan (if I make plans at all, which is really the norm) to have more time for the return trip for just in case something comes up.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #17
MapMaster
Human Compass

Oddometer: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelized View Post
reactor trip had mentioned modifying your route through zion national park, but i was recently informed that they only allow bus trips across the park now. Does anyone know if this is true? I was planning a trip there recently but think i will change my plans if it is. thanks, and good luck on your ride
Depends on the time of year. From the NP site:

2012 Shuttle Season

In 2012 the Zion Shuttle System will begin operations in Zion Canyon and the town of Springdale on April 1 and will run through the end of October 2012.

Private vehicles are allowed to drive on the Zion Canyon Scenic Drive from November through the end of March. From April 1 through the end of October access to the Zion Canyon Scenic Drive is by shuttle bus only. Registered guests at Zion Lodge are allowed to drive non-stop to the lodge.
2012 Shuttle Schedule

I would still go to the park. The riding to and from it is great, and the views and hiking trails within it are fantastic. Riding through the park on a m/c is one of those deals where your attention is split between demands for the views and the need to account for traffic, so doing it via a shuttle bus actually makes for a pretty rewarding jaunt.

Two other absolutely beautiful places in sw Utah are Bryce Canyon NP and Cedar Breaks NM (I think). Similar rock formations, but very different perspectives.

Maritime Meander Ride Report

For Whom the (Wedding) Bells Toll
MapMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #18
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelized View Post
reactor trip had mentioned modifying your route through zion national park, but i was recently informed that they only allow bus trips across the park now. Does anyone know if this is true? I was planning a trip there recently but think i will change my plans if it is. thanks, and good luck on your ride
zion roads are like a upside T.
there is the pass through e-w southern portion road (rt9) which is open to vehicles. then there is the n-s leg that run north into zion canyon and that is what is closed at times.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:39 AM   #19
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
zion roads are like a upside T.
there is the pass through e-w southern portion road (rt9) which is open to vehicles. then there is the n-s leg that run north into zion canyon and that is what is closed at times.
and it is rt9 from the base of the valley(at the T) going east out to 89 is what you want to ride. The elevation change from the valley up to the tunnel is dramatic, with great views. The 1 mile Zion-Mt. Carmel tunnel with 'peep' holes is quite an experience. The east end of the park is like entering a completely different park. Watch out for the grazing bighorn sheep.
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #20
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,098
Hello, Most the advice you're getting suggests staying in the west and abandoning the cross -country trip. While that's a decision for the two of you to make, I have a different opinion.
Do it.
At least one time you may find it suck's the life out of you. It is a large country.
Or you may have an experience more in line with mine. I first went west from Ky. in 1975 and made it to the Grand Canyon with the travel to and back the trip totaled 8000 miles including a foray into Mexico and 2 weeks in Colorado . In '77 a friend and I rode to San Deigo and up to Monterey for another 8000 mile round trip.
And I can play back those trips in my minbd like a movie. It's not all great, riding in 100 + degree temps in Califonia's central valley and the armpit of the world Las Vegas at 113 . Not fun, but looking back on it , it had to be done to appreciate the good stuff . Just as droning across the mid-west hightens your delight in the mountains.
So, if you can meander across the U.S. on two lane roads making memories , you'll love it . If you have to take the I- roads it will not be fun , it may still be memorable , though.
It's harder to enjoy the ride in the crowded North East , too many cities.
Still today planning and doing a coutry crossing trip is my happy place.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #21
MapMaster
Human Compass

Oddometer: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
Hello, Most the advice you're getting suggests staying in the west and abandoning the cross -country trip. While that's a decision for the two of you to make, I have a different opinion.
Do it.

Certainly a valid viewpoint.
I think every rider should make a cross country trip at least once and it is a rite of passage.
But I think the consensus here is that given the time constraints, concentrating the travels in the west will be a more rewarding experience.
All long trips are virtually assured of some experiences that suck at the time, but that will make the journey more memorable.

Besides, a cross country trip on the north/south axis is a worthy endeavor in and of itself.

Maritime Meander Ride Report

For Whom the (Wedding) Bells Toll
MapMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #22
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapMaster View Post

Certainly a valid viewpoint.
I think every rider should make a cross country trip at least once and it is a rite of passage.
But I think the consensus here is that given the time constraints, concentrating the travels in the west will be a more rewarding experience.
All long trips are virtually assured of some experiences that suck at the time, but that will make the journey more memorable.

Besides, a cross country trip on the north/south axis is a worthy endeavor in and of itself.

My trip last Oct. was from Seattle into Canada and down to Mexico then home to Ky. All good !
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #23
ReactorTrip
glows in the dark

Oddometer: 556
The shuttle takes a different route, there is a public road you can ride through Zion.
ReactorTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:51 AM   #24
ttquattro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Did a similar trip last year

I did a very similar trip last year. I went from NY to SF and back around, 18 days, ~7400 miles, and I got to spend a couple of days in some places, i.e. grand canyon, sf, etc. Most people here will be trying to talk you out of it and tell you that you won't enjoy it. Though, you just have to ask yourself, what do you enjoy?

Back to the suggestions, I had a ridiculous time pass through the UT and CO area you've got in your trip. The weather can be very unpredictable with the elevations. I had encountered multiple snow storms and etc. I'd recommend a heated jacket and some toe warmers if you don't have heated socks. Also, I see that you're passing by St. George, FYI, it'll be the last In n' Out that you'll see until your return trip. :)
ttquattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #25
32vld
n00b

Oddometer: 8
You have 3 weeks that's 21 days.

You can still take several US routes coast to coast. For a start there is Maine US 2 to Seatle. Once you hit NY 2 ends so you have to go north or south of the great lakes then US 2 starts again on the west side of the Great lakes.

Or take US 6 or US 20 from NY to CA.

Then there is the Lincoln HWY starts out as US 50 in Wash DC to CA. Some where out west of DC LH follows US 30.

You won't see America on the interstates. However you can go coast to coast in 5 days riding them. Round trip in 10 days. Though the only stopping you will do is food, gas, bathroom, sleep stops.

You have 21 days.

These old US routes are about 3,200 miles long.

3200/21=153 miles a day.

Regional rides are good. Though nothing says road trip as a coast to coast run.
32vld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #26
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
These old US routes are about 3,200 miles long.

3200/21=153 miles a day.
They've gotta get back home as well, so that would actually be 306 miles per day... Though still very doable.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #27
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
If you live in the LA area why do you want to see more big cities? Airlines will get you to NY and Boston for a long weekend when you can see the sights and enjoy without the 2500 mile scoot in the middle.Cross country (and back) on a bike is a long trip, you'll get the miles in but is that the point?
You and your girlfriend have decent bikes, spend some time together riding and enjoying the places you can visit and explore. Utah (my favorite), Colorado, Wyoming (wow) Montana, Idaho all great riding destinations. Make a nice loop, see some national parks, do some good riding and spend some time with the lady sightseeing and relaxing. More fun to put your feet up and watch the sunset over a glass of wine than trying to get in another 250 miles before bed.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #28
lonsomecrow
n00b

Oddometer: 4
In September 2010, I decided to do cross country and I left a week after. I did not have any plan, routes etc. I took this book [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/156...s_o04_s00_i00] and followed it all the way to California.

It took me through such a breathtaking places which I would never have seen otherwise. From Pennsylvania to the Pacific Coast (US -101), I did not pay even a penny for toll tax. :)

I'd suggest to take the scenic byways all the way even if you can't do the "ROUND" trip.

Regards,
Girish
lonsomecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #29
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonsomecrow View Post
In September 2010, I decided to do cross country and I left a week after. I did not have any plan, routes etc. I took this book [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/156...s_o04_s00_i00] and followed it all the way to California.

It took me through such a breathtaking places which I would never have seen otherwise. From Pennsylvania to the Pacific Coast (US -101), I did not pay even a penny for toll tax. :)

I'd suggest to take the scenic byways all the way even if you can't do the "ROUND" trip.

Regards,
Girish

I just bought a copy (4th edition) on ebay for $4.95 shipped
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:51 AM   #30
Rotorwash70
n00b

Oddometer: 3
From Moab, Consider taking hwy 128 East to connect back up to I-70. Beautiful highway thru the canyons and you dont have to backtrack a previous route. I did a roundtrip last year to Moab from PA via the NorthWest states. I also have a Scrambler, and 500mi a day on a Scrambler can be painfully adventurous depending on your setup! I was much happier when I was on a highway versus an interstate. Consider highway 36 from Denver to Springfield as an example.
Good Luck.
Rotorwash70 is offline   Reply With Quote