User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #61
Bongolia
stop acting

Oddometer: 16,828
We use Tekla for most of our complex 3d structural steelwork modelling.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #62
toolmakering
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Cad

Hi,
with this contribution I want to introduce myself in this Forum.
Tried most of available CAD Software.
My hint for all interested CAD users is Rhinoceros.
For me it is the best tool for creating and editing Surfaces.
You can also get a brilliant renderer for realistic looking 3D objects.
Have fun by trying it. It is easy to learn and you can download an older version for free.
See you on the road.
toolmakering
toolmakering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #63
FloridaSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,082
I've been an Autocad / Microstation guy for decades now but tried a lot of strange off brand stuff in the very early days. (late 80's early 90's) so I'm skeptical. So I checked the website (http://www.rhino3d.com/index.htm) and I'd be lying if I didn't admit that Rhino Cad at least looks the business and the price is a steal.... if it works. I imagine that programs like this are great as long as you're in a closed loop. As soon as file sharing becomes important then it's nice to be on an industry standard.

About 2 cent's worth there. and that may be inflated..

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmakering View Post
Hi,
with this contribution I want to introduce myself in this Forum.
Tried most of available CAD Software.
My hint for all interested CAD users is Rhinoceros.
For me it is the best tool for creating and editing Surfaces.
You can also get a brilliant renderer for realistic looking 3D objects.
Have fun by trying it. It is easy to learn and you can download an older version for free.
See you on the road.
toolmakering
FloridaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #64
McCormack OP
eltiT resU motsuC

Oddometer: 6,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSteve View Post
I've been an Autocad / Microstation guy for decades now but tried a lot of strange off brand stuff in the very early days. (late 80's early 90's) so I'm skeptical. So I checked the website (http://www.rhino3d.com/index.htm) and I'd be lying if I didn't admit that Rhino Cad at least looks the business and the price is a steal.... if it works. I imagine that programs like this are great as long as you're in a closed loop. As soon as file sharing becomes important then it's nice to be on an industry standard.

About 2 cent's worth there. and that may be inflated..
I've heard good things about Rhino, though have never used it.
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:38 AM   #65
toolmakering
n00b

Oddometer: 3
rhino

Advertising of B&W.
A English loudspeakerkomany.

" Listen and you will see "
toolmakering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #66
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 18,724
Never done any CAD work but it'll be necessary given that I'm building a CNC mill. Alibre looks like the perfect solution if one believes the videos on their website. Any reason why someone would not use it for home shop?
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:35 AM   #67
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
The problem is that you are using an odd numbered version of AutoCAD. Seriously. You never, ever use an odd numbered version of AutoCAD. Version 11 sucked, 12 was great, 13 sucked worse than any ever made, 2000 was awesome, etc., etc.
I had to laugh when reading this. How true. We used it in conjunction with some third party specification apps for floorplan layouts. I did all the purchasing and hated when they went to subscription, but we barely scratched the surface of its capability and I couldn't justify the costs. We used to upgrade to every other or every third version. R14 to 2000i. 2000i to 2004. 2004 to 2007 and most of those versions worked pretty well. It was cheaper than their subscription that way and I didn't have the headache of yearly upgrades and the headaches incurred because Autodesk felt like changing the dwg format or the menu structure.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #68
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,305
I have to admit that I haven't given up my old copy of AutoCAD 2000i even though we have a subscription and I am also run 2010. To paraphrase a certain commercial: I mostly use Microstation but when I do use AutoCAd I prefer 2000i.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #69
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,079
...I'm just gonna say it. AutoCAD sucks.
AutoCAD Inventor sucks more though.

...i made this!...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #70
McCormack OP
eltiT resU motsuC

I just watched a webeminar yesterday that was put on by Bentley to promote their ProConcrete.

It looked pretty freak'n amazing!

Basically, you are able to assign rebar values to a 3D object, and any geometry changes to that object automatically updates the rebar information.

The really interesting (and time saving) part was that it automatically creates a Rebar Cut & Bend file.

So, I'm wondering if anyone here is using that, or something similar. The best way that I can see for our company to boost productivity would be to better automate our rebar detailing.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #71
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 4,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormack View Post
I just watched a webeminar yesterday that was put on by Bentley to promote their ProConcrete.

It looked pretty freak'n amazing!

Basically, you are able to assign rebar values to a 3D object, and any geometry changes to that object automatically updates the rebar information.

The really interesting (and time saving) part was that it automatically creates a Rebar Cut & Bend file.

So, I'm wondering if anyone here is using that, or something similar. The best way that I can see for our company to boost productivity would be to better automate our rebar detailing.
I work with Bentley Microstation and ASA Rebar software. I used to detail, but now I estimate.

I will have to look into this.

Just for reference, one of our detailers just left, he uses a Pentel 0.5mm and tracing paper...
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #72
McCormack OP
eltiT resU motsuC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjydrafter View Post
I work with Bentley Microstation and ASA Rebar software. I used to detail, but now I estimate.

I will have to look into this.

Just for reference, one of our detailers just left, he uses a Pentel 0.5mm and tracing paper...
Wow!

We produce our plans, then calculate rebar quantities off them, using an excel spreadsheet to keep track of it all.

It actually isn't too tedious that way, but it does take time. It would be great to just model it all in CAD during the design phase and have the program spit out our detailing sheets.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #73
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 4,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormack View Post
Wow!

We produce our plans, then calculate rebar quantities off them, using an excel spreadsheet to keep track of it all.

It actually isn't too tedious that way, but it does take time. It would be great to just model it all in CAD during the design phase and have the program spit out our detailing sheets.
Check out ASA's stuff, it's pricey, but worth it. Probably not as pricey as ProConcrete. I showed it to the guys at work, and we all agreed it's way overkill for what we do, still very cool though.

When detailing, I would draw the plan view and add in various ASA callouts, then the take off is generated with a simple fence command and emailed automatically. It's really slick compared to how we have to process the pencil drawings.

The ASA software is "overlayed" with Microstation, so they work together. It's a really powerful program. When a drawing is finished/approved, the program creates a barlist for production, the ASA production software creates bar tags for the fab shop.

You guys would love just having the barlist/production software. That's one of the best parts of ASA's stuff, it's all modular.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #74
McCormack OP
eltiT resU motsuC

Can someone tell me about PDMS files? We have a sub running Solidworks, and our client has issued a 3D Plant Model in PDMS file type.

I've never worked with that type of file before, and Google isn't helping much.

Can a PDMS file be imported into Solidworks?

Can I receive the PDMS file and import into AutoCAD, then export that to a Solidworks readable file?
Old 10-05-2012, 11:33 AM   #75
STROMVADER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
I am attending school for CNC machining and one of my courses to complete the cert. is CAD. I am looking froward to because I am sick of sketching everything I fabricate! What CAD programs are relatively cheap to cut my teeth on? Google sketch?
STROMVADER is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: