Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #10
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
You asked for input, so I'll weigh in. Dash across the US with your son on a new to you bike. Fifteen years old? Sure. Kid is old enough to manage the long days, weather and wide temperature swings you will encounter over the route you've posted, and his hydration. Might even stay awake for most of the ride. Five years old? No. No way. Absolutely freakin' not.
Seems awfully risky to me too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBKK View Post
Maybe I've been in Asia too long- here motorcycles (scooters actually) are the primary mode of transportation for most people and I've grown accustomed to seeing entire families covering long distances on 2 wheels.
That may have skewed your perspective a bit. This is not Asia, and very few people use motorcycles/scooters as primary transportation. Certainly not whole families.

Furthermore, one thing I haven't seen anyone point out yet is that you could actually find yourself breaking the law. Some states have minimum-age requirements for motorcycle passengers, and some of those are greater than 5. Some others require that the passenger be tall enough to sit with feet on the passenger pegs; depending on how tall your son is, this may limit your choice of bike.

Even if you get the right bike and plan a route that avoids states with minimum age requirements greater than 5, be prepared to hear from strangers who think you're abusing your kid by putting him on a motorcycle, no matter how careful you may be.

Personally, I would wait till the kid's 10 or 12 before planning such a trip. In the meantime you could always do it in a convertible car. Or at least a hack, with the kid in the sidecar. But it's up to you how much risk you want to expose your son to.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote