ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2005, 01:27 AM   #136
bluesurf
en dos ruedas

Oddometer: 978
I'm heading south to San Diego sometime next week. After that, it's a trip through the southern states, with a few stops (Carlsbad Caverns, previous home in TX, a couple of days aiding in New Orleans) on the way to Florida. From there, up the eastern seaboard to New York, visit some relatives, then back down through the BRP/Deals area, CO where possible, UT, and home again.

You're right, maybe I should start another thread and document things this time 'round...for some reason I do find it difficult to write trip reports; would just rather go stick my head back in the wind.
bluesurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 02:40 PM   #137
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,056
David, Do you have MapSource "Tracks" from the Duval Ride that you could share? I'd like to have a track of where Justin and I didn't get to.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 03:57 PM   #138
Johnny Drunkard
Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 6,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK
David, Do you have MapSource "Tracks" from the Duval Ride that you could share? I'd like to have a track of where Justin and I didn't get to.
You wanna go back?

Riding that "ATV Trail" once was one time too many for me...
Johnny Drunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 05:06 PM   #139
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

I had a blast and I like to keep a good record of where I "might" like to go back to. The Track I'm missing is after we got seperated.

I've only been on one other "trail" like that before. As long as my fellow riders don't mind helping me pick the pig up once or twice (ok, three times - plus once on my own) I learn a lot about how to, and not to, ride the big twin off-road.

From Tony's pic's, it looked like the trail got a bit MORE challenging after we got seperated.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-20-2005, 05:28 PM   #140
Davidovich650 OP
KLR-ista

Oddometer: 245
I do as a matter of fact. Finally hard-wired my GPS onto the KLR (Cycoactive rocks!) - so I should have the whole ride tracked. PM me an email address and I'll send it to you.

Yeah, that was kinda tight for big trailies - pushed our skill levels a little. Not the sort of riding I want to do with the KLR every day, but it's interesting to know that the the big-green-girl can handle it.

Quote:
I had a blast and I like to keep a good record of where I "might" like to go back to. The Track I'm missing is after we got seperated.

I've only been on one other "trail" like that before. As long as my fellow riders don't mind helping me pick the pig up once or twice (ok, three times - plus once on my own) I learn a lot about how to, and not to, ride the big twin off-road.

From Tony's pic's, it looked like the trail got a bit MORE challenging after we got seperated.
Davidovich650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 05:47 PM   #141
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

PM'd ya. Not that I'm look'n to take the GS back out on that trail any time soon but it sure is a skills builder. Thanks again for another great ride.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-20-2005, 05:48 PM   #142
Johnny Drunkard
Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 6,541
Quote:
...I've only been on one other "trail" like that before. As long as my fellow riders don't mind helping me pick the pig up once or twice (ok, three times - plus once on my own) I learn a lot about how to, and not to, ride the big twin off-road.

Those last pics of Tony's are from the sidetrip to the falls. Dale had been in there on the GS before and figured I'd have "clearance issues" so I bowed out.

IMHO, the toughest section I rode was the first section of ATV trail the ended at the "mudhole". The section where Justin helped out w/ a push.

Hopefully I'll have a lighter bike in time for Duvall 4!
Johnny Drunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 06:14 PM   #143
Davidovich650 OP
KLR-ista

Oddometer: 245
So, not a ride report - just pics and comments.

The second group meet-up - back in the woods, before the first section of single track.

The first single track ended at a small mud bog. The mound on the left was easier, but not big trailie friendly. I took the water to the right and had no problem - solid base under the water. Johnny and Godspeed rolled right through it with no problem.

A bit more gravel forest road followed, then another section of trail. This is where we lost Godspeed and Drtbyk. Too bad too, because it was a fun, short section of big-trailie doable single-track.

Johnny and Sybil doin' it in the woods.

Brian coming up the one small climb with a few obstacles - nothing too bad though.

The trail dumped out onto a quick quad track. The group got rolling - looking for the two lost GS's. Coming down a slight grade, I jammed on my brakes looking at a turn - trying to see if there were fresh bike tracks from the GS's. I heard tires trying to brake on gravel behind me, and very quickly had a big red XR650 come sliding up next to me - but I could still hear brakes and gravel, and turned to look back, just in time to see a blue DRZ400 slide into the back of the XR650. Chad just about leaped off the DRZ as he flung it sideways to the ground - trying to avoid the impact. Not much damage to bikes - sounds like a bit of dammage to Chad. Might have been partially due to a ride leaders brake lights, or a strategically placed mud puddle that an XR and a DR were trying to wheelie over - just before the ride leader slammed on his brakes.
So here is the DR's headlight - adjusted a bit by the rear wheel of an XR650.

The light was straightened, the bikes all started back up, so we continued on our way.

More gravel two track, a bit more single track, one secret spot, and we came back out onto the Stossel Truck Road. We ran into some unexpected closed gates, took one wrong turn up into a dead-end road, and decided as a group that pasteries and sandwiches at the Sultan Bakery sounded good. Ben Howard road got us into Sultan quickly, and hot coffee and grub were our rewards for the trials of the trails.

Not the hardest ride of the season, but a great challenge on a bigger bike. Three of the riders continued on out to Spada Lake - while the rest of us loped our steads back to our respective barns.
Davidovich650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:06 PM   #144
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drunkard
Those last pics of Tony's are from the sidetrip to the falls. Dale had been in there on the GS before and figured I'd have "clearance issues" so I bowed out.

IMHO, the toughest section I rode was the first section of ATV trail the ended at the "mudhole". The section where Justin helped out w/ a push.

Hopefully I'll have a lighter bike in time for Duvall 4!
A lighter bike? Where's the challenge in that?

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-20-2005, 10:12 PM   #145
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...

Oddometer: 3,251

Tony givin' me mad props as usual....

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote