Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
RetrogradE OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,226
Pelican Topbox w RotoPax Fuel on my R1150GSA; Build Specs and Photos

Friends,

I've had a few inmates ask me about my top-box set-up since they either saw it on my ride report to Baja or in the Oilheads section. So, I'm finally getting around to writing a thread about the build, the cost, and the parts needed.

Here are a couple pictures of the set-up:

This shot is on a 60+ mile stretch of dirt road from San Felipe to CoCo's corner, then to Highway 1.

This is in my garage before I left.

This is all I have time to write at this time since I'm busy at work, but I wanted to let a few fellas know I'm working on getting pictures and showing a detailed build job.

This is the second Pelican topbox I've built (the first one was for my 800GS); but this one is difference since I added the RotoPax fuel container. There are Pros and Cons to my build and you'll have to judge for yourself what's important and what isn't, then modify from there.

Pros: Cheap, Easy, Safe, Secure, Convenient, and it looks bitchin'. I get comments all over town (I keep the RotoPax on the box all the time, but there's no fuel in it. I do this so the RotoPax quick release doesn't unwind from the vibration, etc).

Cons: The topbox is basically "fixed" to the bike so it's not quickly removable. This setup works fine for me because I NEVER take off my topbox--I use it to store my laptop and other business docs on the way to meetings, etc. It's very convenient. You CAN remove it if you were on a trip--it only takes about 4-5 minutes if you carry a screwdriver. I keep it fixed to the bike AND I put locks on the outside so no one can get into it.

The job is super easy if you're mechanically inclined in the slightest. It's moderately easy if you have any clue about tools at all.

IN THE MEANTIME, here is a list of parts / tools that you can start trying to find if you're interested in doing a similar build. The rest of the parts (I'll show later in picture form) will come from your local hardware store so they won't be hard to find.

I build my topbox (including RotoPax) for <$100, but it pays to be patient. If you bought everything new, at retail prices, you could easily be around $250-300.

PARTS:

Pelican 1550. You can use whatever Pelican you see fit, but this is my second 1550 and it's tried and true. If you get it with the Pick & Pluck Foam, you can easily fit your laptop and other fragile items in there. The foam will have to be removed for the installation.

Drill gun

RotoPax 1G fuel canister. My neighbor owns / runs RotoPax and he sold me a factor second for cheap. I'll see if I can get more and sell them to you guys for no added $. You might look around fleabay for some of these, too.

RotoPax quick release.

Various other nuts / bolts / washers / rubber washers. I'll give more details later.

Subscribe to the thread . . . be back to you tomorrow with more info.

Steven

One more picture of me at Coco's Corner in Baja:

RetrogradE screwed with this post 04-24-2012 at 10:24 AM
RetrogradE is offline   Reply With Quote