User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #436
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
Pivot Pegz

Curious if any Sertao owners have installed them on their bikes yet and besides the wide foot peg (which is nice), what is your impression of the pivot action. My bike being ridden on street and trails on the weekend. Thanks... I'm installing risers on the bike this weekend that will bring the rise to 35mm. I like my upright position to be comfortable as I have it on my DR.

Pivot Pegz are back ordered until End of May, just got an email from them.
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #437
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namecheck View Post
Run the lower octane gas. Running higher octane gas does not do anything if the engine does not require it, you are only burning money. The quality of the gas is what is important.
Like I said, in higher gears the engine pulled notably better from low rpms with the premium gas. It would ping under the same circumstances when I ran regular so I'd have to downshift a lot more to avoid that.

The grades of gasoline/octane levesl here in Japan are likely different than what you have in Mass so it's difficult to compare the results.
2006 Djebel 250XC

twinrider screwed with this post 04-18-2012 at 06:02 PM
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #438
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Curious if any Sertao owners have installed them on their bikes yet and besides the wide foot peg (which is nice), what is your impression of the pivot action. My bike being ridden on street and trails on the weekend. Thanks... I'm installing risers on the bike this weekend that will bring the rise to 35mm. I like my upright position to be comfortable as I have it on my DR.

Pivot Pegz are back ordered until End of May, just got an email from them.
Not a Sertao owner but I've been using them on my Dakar for nearly two years. Makes standing up on the bike easy and comfortable and the pivot action works great over bumpy trails. Don't really notice them while street riding. The width does make it a little trickier to get an MX boot under the shift lever. I had to change to a TT lever to get the height I needed.
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 04-18-2012, 08:11 PM   #439
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Thanks twinrider, now I just have to wait a month before they get here
74' Kawasaki G3SS possible vintage race bike.
Soto Moto Adventures
Old 04-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #440
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZip2 View Post
Here's a couple of pics of the new bike. I didn't have to add alot of farkles but I did add the Denali "led" lights, BMW Top Case, BMW Dakar seat, SW Motec Center Stand ......

Nice seat! Did you order that from dealership? How much? I really like how it doesnt dip as much, I would definitely be interested in one of these as I wouldnt mind the seat being a bit higher.

As for OTD pricing, here in Canada we pay closer to $11k OTD.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:36 AM   #441
MrZip2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durden View Post
Nice seat! Did you order that from dealership? How much? I really like how it doesnt dip as much, I would definitely be interested in one of these as I wouldnt mind the seat being a bit higher.

As for OTD pricing, here in Canada we pay closer to $11k OTD.
The dealer had the seat in stock - He said it's the BMW "Dakar" seat. Cost was about $200.00. I also have the std black/gray seat that came w/ the bike. I've also heard of this seat (Dakar) referred to as the BMW "high" seat. As far as I know their one & the same.
MrZip2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #442
Durden
Freak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZip2 View Post
The dealer had the seat in stock - He said it's the BMW "Dakar" seat. Cost was about $200.00. I also have the std black/gray seat that came w/ the bike. I've also heard of this seat (Dakar) referred to as the BMW "high" seat. As far as I know their one & the same.
Why did you buy the 'high' seat? Comfort or wanted a higher saddle? I'm going to ask my dealer about it.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:26 PM   #443
Davnic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Picked up the bike today and after riding over 200 kms taking the long way home with lots of detours and a fair bit of rain im happy with my decision to buy the Sertao.
My impression of the bike so far,
Handling with the 21 inch front, im happy
Gearbox changing up or down really good.
Seat comfort it could be better but undecided at the moment.
Side stand is to short and the base is to small. 6 week wait for the SW MOTECH centre stand
Hot start issues i have read about no problems, stopped a few times and started back up straight away.
Cheers and thanks for your input.

Davnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:43 PM   #444
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Why did you buy the 'high' seat? Comfort or wanted a higher saddle? I'm going to ask my dealer about it.
My $ 0.02. Even though I'm on my tip toes with it, the high seat is far more comfortable than the low seat. Check Seat Concepts the vendor forum, he makes a replacement foam/cover set that is the same height as the Dakar seat but does away with its slope and slippery cover. You use your stock pan.

http://www.seatconcepts.com/products...roduct=8776231
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 04-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #445
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
I am under the impression that the higher (Dakar) seat is a no-cost option when getting the bike --you can get that seat if you want it. At my height/inseam 6'3" , I would prefer it --the seat to peg distance felt a little cramped when I sat on it with the standard seat.

BTW, Motorcycle Consumer News (USA) posted a pdf of their review of the Sertao.
http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval...archSertao.pdf
Looks like they liked the handling and smooth engine performance, but weren't impressed with the ABS action (especially the rear).
*and they thought the sidestand was way too short*
Old 04-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #446
azgsa
Apathetic

Oddometer: 1,356
I personally would be looking for a low mileage G650X country or challenge instead of the face-lift Dakar. I've owned a 2002 Dakar for a few years now and recently picked up an XChallenge for ~$4500 with 5K miles on it. The Dakar is going on the selling block ASAP. XChallenge is 320lbs, a bit more power, WAY better suspension.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #447
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Dirt Bike Mag..

http://www.dirtrider.com/reviews/dir...tao/index.html

Nice read..
Old 04-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #448
Durden
Freak!

I ordered the Dakar seat from Sierra BMW, I really wanted more space between the seat and pegs. Regardless, I love how easy it is to change seats on the BMW.

400km on the ODO and loving this bike so far. I have experienced no issues.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #449
Tim A
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Durden what's your inseam? Just curious to see if the Dakar seat will work for me when I get the bike. Thanks.
Tim A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:28 AM   #450
Namecheck
Like a Sir!

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Like I said, in higher gears the engine pulled notably better from low rpms with the premium gas. It would ping under the same circumstances when I ran regular so I'd have to downshift a lot more to avoid that.

The grades of gasoline/octane levesl here in Japan are likely different than what you have in Mass so it's difficult to compare the results.
Possibly - I've never check out the japanese system. I guess if you hear pinging its always a good sign you need a higher octane.
Namecheck is offline   Reply With Quote