Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #4651
Bicyclist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groves View Post
I swapped the rear sized 705 that was on the front for a proper size Distanzia.
Wow, what a difference! The Versys feels much better on the road now.

I did a bunch more gravel road riding this past weekend and I'm very pleased with them.
Looks like you got that tire on backwards.
Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #4652
ray h
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by spklbuk View Post
What WV dealer would that be, please sir? (Read back a few pages, but did not find it). TIA.
I havent seen the Ebay add that was talked about but I'll bet it was Ridersville in Berkeley Springs. They tend to run very cheap Ebay sales.
ray h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #4653
Groves
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclist View Post
Looks like you got that tire on backwards.

Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #4654
Bicyclist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groves View Post

Guess they do their tread backward from everyone else.
Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #4655
ec90t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Big guy on a Versys?

I was considering the purchase of a Versys and just wanted to hear from the the bigger riders (6'02"+ 260 lb+) I'm looking for something simple and upright and I really like parallel twins Most of my riding would be 4hr jaunts, to the local flat track races, and general commuting duties/backroad riding. I did the strom thing and really didn't like the blandness. Looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say.

2013 Super Tenere
2003 KLX400R
ec90t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #4656
wordguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec90t View Post
I was considering the purchase of a Versys and just wanted to hear from the the bigger riders (6'02"+ 260 lb+)
I'm about that size and the Versys works well for me. I did lower the pegs to unbend my knees a bit (34-inch inseam). But the seat and bars are stock. I have ridden all day on it and found it comfortable. It's plenty sporty for me on pavement, and I enjoy it on the occasional dirt road.

-Alan
wordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #4657
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,994
I am 6'-6" 260 lbs.
I did the peg drop, swapped bars for a CR-High with 2" Rox risers and added a Corbin seat.
The current ergos are very similar to my old Strom with 1" risers, CR-High bars and a suzuki Gel seat.
Just a touch tighter in the legs as the Corbin is a little lower than stock but moves you back as well, which I do like.

The Versys is much more engaging than the Strom and as long as you are staying on the pavement (or at least real hard pack) better handing too.
I find the suspension handles my weight better than the Strom which is notably softer.

I run dirt/sand roads every day, the 17" front is the only real draw back when the going gets soft, but it is workable.
Ogre_fl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #4658
flying_hun
Moral Hazard

Oddometer: 295
Another big guy here (6'3" 265 #'s), and I find the Versys fits me pretty well. I've added padding to the stock seat and leveled it out, and I've added Speedy's risers, and I'm about to break down and add the peg lowering kit to see if the trade-off with cornering clearance is acceptable. I've upgraded the suspension, but it's pretty stiff stock so it's mainly an issue of improving the quality of the damping. I did 400 miles on it last Saturday, and will be doing a big weekend coming up pre-running the BARF Spring Rally referenced in my sig. Probably 700-800 miles. It should be fine.

I've been riding a long time and have owned many bikes, and it's one of the sweetest handling bikes I've ever owned.

TheFlyinghun Blog

EuroBARF 2014
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #4659
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,090
Quote:
I was considering the purchase of a Versys and just wanted to hear from the the bigger riders (6'02"+ 260 lb+) I'm looking for something simple and upright and I really like parallel twins Most of my riding would be 4hr jaunts, to the local flat track races, and general commuting duties/backroad riding. I did the strom thing and really didn't like the blandness. Looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say.
The stiff suspension seems to work in favour of the, um, more maturely-figured rider. Smaller guys say it's harsh for their weight.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #4660
Southbark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
I am 6'2", over 300 lbs and the Versys holds up pretty well for me even when my wife or daughter are on the back. Except for the water pump it has about 8000 trouble free miles on it.. I did put a flatfoot,handlebar riser and 43 tooth rear sprocket on it.
Southbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #4661
bodie1
slightly unbalanced

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Im 6'04" 300lbs i love my versys i have the peg lowers and am currently running the stock seat i ran a corbin seat all last season. I liked the comfort of the corbin but it seems to me that its a couple inches lower than stock. But i like the stock seats comfort the corbin was a better seat for my ass but my knees ( i have a 35" inseam) just could not take the lower corbin seat. I commute daily to work on a 4 lane highway 70-80 mph but run mostly all gravel/dirt roads on the weekends and after work. I love this bike and i am happy with its power i run stock gearing right now but i have a 44 tooth rear sprocket im gonna try just need to put it on. I also run pirelli mt60 tires. Hope this helps
bodie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #4662
Genehil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sosothree View Post
What kind of prices are these going for in the Midwest? One dealer quoted me full sticker (+ TTL) minus some factory rebate amount he was sure about. He didn't seem to think I was a "real" buyer...Oh well.
Just for reference... I bagged a new 2011 from a dealer in Cocoa, FL back in early October for $7125 OTD including tax/tag/everything... But that was in the Fall and now it's Springtime. I'm sure that fact has a lot to do with current pricing.
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Genehil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #4663
Mknpwr
Have you seen my bike?

Oddometer: 585
Anyone have or know of anyone that has a Bill Mayer seat on their Versys? I had one on the BMW GS and loved it. Looking for someone with a picture of one on a Versys before I send my seat off.

Sent from my rotary dial phone.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #4664
ec90t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
I rode one home today

I picked up a new '11 (Red) today and rode it home. I got a deal on the accessories so I had them order a Givi windscreen, Givi PLR saddlebag mounts, Givi trunk mount, Givi E41 bags, and a set of SW Motech crashbars. The total damage was $7640 OTD!

I'll post some better pic's when everything comes in and is mounted.

2013 Super Tenere
2003 KLX400R
ec90t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #4665
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
Just ordered my mounts

Big ride this summer so needed to mount some bags. Ordered monokey top rack, side racks and a top v46nt. Already have 2 e36s for the sides, and needed mounts. Should come in tomorrow so I can mount em up after work. Time to farkle the v. Adding an eastern beaver pc8 fusebox, a stebel nautilus horn, heated grips, new 714s grips, side racks, top rack, and a back off tailight modulator. Just need to find some aux lights now, as was spoiled by my old vstrom with twin beams and hid bulbs.