Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #41731
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,014
Voltage regulator. as long as its not touching. even if you put a piece of rubber hose in between just so u dont have metal to plastic contact
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #41732
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp_josh View Post
On the right side of the frame just below the dipstick is a black hunk of metal with fins on it sticking out. It looks for all the world like it's meant to radiate heat out and so cool the oil in the frame, which would mean it probably gets hot while riding. If it's something completely different, well, there's a reason I'm asking questions and not answering them.
Hey Josh,

I have about a finger's width (1/2"??) of air space between the plastic Clarke tank and the fins. Personally, I have never experienced problems. On the other hand, ambient temperatures haven't been above 50F here in like 14 years, so I shouldn't comment. Many others have this same tank; I will defer to them.

PD
Old 04-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #41733
bp_josh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Ok yeah found it's called a regulator/rectifier, for the electrical system, probably doesn't get that hot. Thanks for the answers anyways, forgive my ignorance, I had the day off and I've been drinking.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #41734
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

NP, just wasnt sure what u meant by radiator.. thought maybe u had an R
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
Old 04-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #41735
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,958
Speaking of the rectifier..a question for the electrical wizards:

I want to try and relocate my rectifier, and because of this, also hopefully switch it out for a smaller one. Is there any way to determine the voltage bleed off of the stock XRL, to then find if (a smaller) one from another Honda can be subbed?

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #41736
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp_josh View Post
On the right side of the frame just below the dipstick is a black hunk of metal with fins on it sticking out. It looks for all the world like it's meant to radiate heat out and so cool the oil in the frame, which would mean it probably gets hot while riding. If it's something completely different, well, there's a reason I'm asking questions and not answering them.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184236
bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #41737
malignity
The Hurt Locker

Oddometer: 361
Here's my newest $20 addition to my piglet. DIY Digital oil temp gauge!

malignity screwed with this post 04-25-2012 at 01:32 PM
malignity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #41738
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Speaking of the rectifier..a question for the electrical wizards:

I want to try and relocate my rectifier, and because of this, also hopefully switch it out for a smaller one. Is there any way to determine the voltage bleed off of the stock XRL, to then find if (a smaller) one from another Honda can be subbed?

BP

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719093
bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #41739
pngaudioguy
Just...one...more...

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzrob View Post
So like I'm planning a big adventure on my XR and feel a need to carry an extra gallon of water and an extra gallon of gas stradling on the back behind my saddlebags along with my sleeping bag, cot, bedroll, tent etc. I'm worried about subframe support and just how I'm going to carry these [Anti-freeze size] jugs.

Anyone here have any experience handling large jugs?

RZ Rob

Last I checked, any identification of a cute blonde is not considered off-topic around here. Also, don't quite look like "anti-freeze size" to me. Then again, I live in New England.
pngaudioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:14 PM   #41740
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber1965 View Post
Outstanding. Thank you.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #41741
thatdirtykid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by malignity View Post
Here's my newest $20 addition to my piglet.

Explanation of what you've done?
Old 04-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #41742
XR650L
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L View Post
Hi Gents

I am not sure what the reason is.

I have installed the XR400 oil cooler that Mike has made me with an temperature sensor in the line that comes out the engine going into the cooler. I still have the meat sensor temperature sensor in my Oil tank cap.

My overall temperature has dropped on the Oil tank sensor from 137c or 278F on the same road, almost same conditions to 102c or 215F, now this is great but I am confused with the readings I get on the Oil Cooler line

The sensor goes into a Vapor Instr

When ~I am idling or riding a single track in 1st gear the 2 temperatures come close together, like in 95c or 203F on the meat oil tank sensor and 88c or 190F on the oil line sensor

But if i drive at 100km/h or 62Mph I get a reading of 105c or 221F on the oil tank sensor but the oil line sensor drops to 65c of 149F

Surely the oil out the engine must be hotter than the oil on the tank after the oil cooler?

The sensor sits in the line right in between the exhaust pipes right below the Spark plug

Could it be cooled so much by air, that quickly? out the engine?

Any suggestions here??

Regards

Jaco
Anyone with ideas?
Old 04-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #41743
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber1965 View Post
Soooo, what is the collective wisdom on this modification (relocating and/or resizing the Regulator/Rectifier)? Especially considering the Shorai Battery Relocation, has this modification taken hold??

I get it that the rectifier changes the 3-phase AC signal into DC (the opposite of an inverter, right?), and the regulator ensures that the proper voltage gets sent to the battery for recharging. By installing a more efficient unit, would that simply reduce the amount of resistance sent to the Reg/Rec unit (thus both reducing heat discharge as well as making make more wattage available for other uses)? What I am wondering is whether a more efficient Reg/Rec would free up some wattage, to power some more heated gear.

I know that somebody is going to pile onto me with a lecture about volts, watts, and amps. I am all ears--please instruct.

PD
Old 04-25-2012, 05:26 AM   #41744
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L View Post
Anyone with ideas?

if your sensor is after the tank and after the oil cooler it should be lower than the tank when air is passing through
Old 04-25-2012, 06:00 AM   #41745
XR650L
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
if your sensor is after the tank and after the oil cooler it should be lower than the tank when air is passing through
Hi

The problem is the sensor is in the line that comes out the engine before it goes into the cooler