Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 04:24 AM   #7696
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
I posted that about a month ago, you coming down for it?
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:31 AM   #7697
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Here is something of specific interest to those who ride in Mexico.
It relates to the federal protocol on use of force, especially deadly force, to detain someone.
Basically, unless you shoot first, nobody is going to shoot you.

"El gobierno federal anunció la entrada en vigor de los Protocolos para el Uso de la Fuerza, la Preservación de Evidencias y la Presentación de los Detenidos ante las Autoridades que deberán ser cumplidos por el Ejército, la Marina, la Fuerza Aérea, la Policía Federal y la PGR, y entre los que destaca cuándo se puede aplicar el uso letal de la fuerza.

En las operaciones contra el crimen las Fuerzas Armadas no podrán disparar contra personas que evadan, huyan o traten de hacerlo, salvo que éstas se resistan de manera grave a la autoridad y representen un peligro inminente de muerte o lesiones serias, de acuerdo con los nuevos protocolos de actuación que regirán a estos elementos, así como de la Policía Federal y agentes de la Procuraduría General de la República (PGR), que fijan que el uso de la fuerza es el último recurso. "
Old 04-25-2012, 05:15 AM   #7698
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Here is something of specific interest to those who ride in Mexico.
It relates to the federal protocol on use of force, especially deadly force, to detain someone.

]

Mike, what are your thoughts? I am reminded that the Marines recently "stopped" a Jeep Grand Cherokee west of Nuevo Laredo by using rocket fire from a helicopter, and the 4 bad guys inside died strapped to their seats.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=28.304349,-98.982940
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:28 AM   #7699
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post

I don't think the narcos (or anybody else for that matter) believes this governmentally published policy for a nanosecond
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:36 AM   #7700
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Mike, what are your thoughts? I am reminded that the Marines recently "stopped" a Jeep Grand Cherokee west of Nuevo Laredo by using rocket fire from a helicopter, and the 4 bad guys inside died strapped to their seats.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=28.304349,-98.982940

The handgun they were shooting at the helicopter was ejected from the vehicle in the ensuing explosion. The deadly force was just aimed at the Jeep anyways. They weren't aiming at the occupants.

Case closed.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:02 AM   #7701
Tommy.flynn
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Riding all the way through?

I am planning a trip from Atlanta to Costa Rica and am looking for helpful information/tips (especially on plotting a course). Google Maps gives me directions using roads, but are there alternative, more naturally beautiful, possibilities?

Also, the travel report for US tourists has a lot of "red lights" for people driving through many parts of Mexico (as in, they say not to do it). Is that overcautious mumbo-jumbo or are there really some ports/states/cities/towns/roads that I should completely avoid?

Thanks!
Tommy.flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:04 AM   #7702
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,555
A "Federal protocol on use of force?" Maybe on paper, but in reality the feds will spray paint the landscape with lead and ask questions later.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:16 AM   #7703
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Let's clarify this.
First, soldiers have been relieved of duties and jailed for the killing of innocent people who have run road blocks or failed to stop.
A case of two dead young guys in Tuxpan a few years ago was a precedent setter.
They know who they are after, that is why the blasted the Jeep Cherokee, when surveillance is used and they know the bad guys are heavily armed, bye bye. That is not going to change.
This is for the regular folks who are nervous about road blocks or who inadvertently fail to stop, it protects them from just being shot for running a road block.
This will likely go a long way in keeping two up riders, fully loaded, from pinning the throttle on their GS1150's and magically gaining 10 or 15mph in extra top end.
The way they are setting up road blocks these days, it is unlikely anyone is going to fail to stop at a real one.
It's a good move, it pushes more professionalism on the soldiers and everybody but the bad guys can benefit.
There haven't been a lot of incidents of improper use of force and this simply makes it clearer as to what is allowed and when.
But, of course, this is an edict from a federal government! And we all know just how perfect all federal governments are throughout the world. No federal government would ever make a mistake...LOL!
Old 04-25-2012, 07:25 AM   #7704
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
We have some colleagues in town from De eFe and a conversation over dinner was directed toward my gun ownership.... and how "everyone" in Texas has a gun... and my Mexican colleagues were then suddenly and genuinely afraid to use their horn or flash their lights while driving.

Looks like I'll be going to Mexico City in a couple of weeks. Does anyone have any recommendations for must sees/dos in D.F.? I may have a day or two extra to explore. What is the recommended way to explore the city? Taxi? Bus?
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:46 AM   #7705
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaOutbackTrail View Post
Looks like I'll be going to Mexico City in a couple of weeks. Does anyone have any recommendations for must sees/dos in D.F.? I may have a day or two extra to explore. What is the recommended way to explore the city? Taxi? Bus?
Chango just returned from jetting down there and running around like, well, like Chango does. (see Zona Rosa)

Like NYC, the list of what to see and do is as long and varied as there are people who have been there or live there.

In addition to the other thoughts you may get here, I always like Rick Bayless' frequently updated notes on Mexico City

I like Teotihuacan as a side trip.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #7706
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,555
Speaking of Mexican police, FWIW > Last year a local cop was arrested and extradited to the US for a murder he had committed in California. The US Feds finally hunted this guy down in Jalisco.

The Mexican govt isn't too good about background checks I guess.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #7707
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
+ Palacio de Bellas Artes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palacio_de_Bellas_Artes (absolutely rules if you have any appreciation for art. WARNING: There is some Pinko Commie Art there, but its cool)

+ National Anthropology Museum (absolutely rules if you have any appreciation for history.)

+ Castle at Chapultepec (and don't forget the park. Castle is great if you have any appreciation for history. WARNING: If you believe the USA is absolutely right no matter what, you may not appreciate it. But be sure to look up anyways.)
my notes above. I'd love to go back to any of those places.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #7708
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,703
Mexico City

Plus:

*Garibaldi Square for mariachi music.

*Zocalo: Diego Rivera murals in Prez Palace, the cathedral, Templo Mayor, eat on Holiday Inn roof top restaurant

*Latin American Tower observation deck

*Hotel Catedral on Donceles just north of Zocalo is good

*Breakfast at Casa de Azulejos (Sanborn's House of Tiles)

*Use taxis to get around. Have hotel or restaurant call them or use kiosks to avoid bad guys in taxis.

*From Hotel Catedral you can walk to all the above. Many great restaurants and taco stands around the Zocalo. ¡Provecho!

*Buy Lonely Planet guidebook

*Know what days and times you cannot operate your vehicle there. Ask me if you don't find that.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:04 AM   #7709
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
my notes above. I'd love to go back to any of those places.
Let's keep an eye out for cheap airfare and do a long weekend trip.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #7710
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

SR, hot buttons? No worries. Most people on here know the score, I was just trying to point out the government is putting out an official protocol.
Most people on here know first hand how professional the troops have been, and you and I probably get stopped more often than most people simply based on where we live. I think things are getting a little better over here, but I also think the next administration is likely to really put things FUBAR. Just my opinion. LOL!

+1 on what you say about the National Anthropological Museum, two floors of unbelievable installations and pieces of interest. Fantastic place to visit. Brings back some great memories from when I was younger and spent many hours there.

Garry Dymond from over on the HUBB forum is a good guy and always is a good source for all things DF Chilango.
He's been there for a long time and has some good tips.

If they are doing anything at Plaza Mexico, concerts, bullfights, boxing, etc... it's a fun place to be.

Hot button issues? Hey, is "Bullfighting Safe in Mexico"? LOL! Most people that are against it, have never seen it.