Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-25-2012, 04:46 AM   #1
59DEN OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Question How much can a DRZ carry? Part 1

As I am planning on doing the Canning Stock Route ( Western Australia) in July this year and the question came up of how much fuel and water etc can be carried on a DRZ 400. The planned route is heading from Wiluna northwards, this means a jump of a aprox. 1000km to Kunawarritji community, there are other alternatives and you can get a fuel drop at Well 23. But after reading of a fellow inmate John ( J_B ) and the fuel load he carried on his trip along the Anne Beadell Highway, a plan of action started to form .
After gaining an extra week on top of the Easter break and having already planned to join Neil ( neilaction ), plus the crew from Perth on their ride to Neil Junction (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...5#post18436295), I tagged a few more km's onto the end of the NJ ride. Basically carrying onto Rawlinna and from there along the Trans Access track to Forrest Airport, from there Eucla and back along the coast as much as possible homewards ( Albany).

This was test ride No 2, with a fuel load of 67L, 25L water, rider, camping gear, clothes, tool's and food for 8 days this pushed the total weight carried when fully fuelled to 425kg. The cause is not helped when the rider weighs the same as the bike when it comes of the showroom floor, but it covered the 3700km without missing a beat, this combined with a test ride at Xmas of 2500 km. After the two test rides with no punctures, nothing breaking and the bike handling all this with no dramas has me feeling more confident with the CSR in July.
Covered a distance of 1130 km from Laverton to Border Village Service Station with a few litres to spare, has the fuel side of the equation nearly sorted.
Here are few details on the bike and fuel consumption for the trip :

2006 DRZ400 - 47,000 km, bike is pretty well standard except for the following :
Heavier springs front and rear, 28L Safari tank, Voyager speedo, Tubliss tyre system, Tyres Rear - Bridgestone Gritty ED78 and front Bridgestone Gritty ED77
Fuel Consumption ; 17.3 KmL over 3669 Km travelled

Most of the pictures following show the track condition's and areas of interest, to give an idea of the track conditions and type of country.

The first 350 km where Slab, this is half way in the Wheatbelt.

The start of the Holland Track, aiming to get as much variety of tracks and trails to see if the bike and myself will be able to handle the extra load.

Regrowth on a section burnt a couple of years ago.

As you get closer to the Goldfields end of the HT.

Caught up with the crew from Perth in Kalgoorlie and we headed out to Mount Celia to set up camp for the night.

The next day ( day3 for me ) we headed into Laverton to fuel up and ready to get into the riding proper.

Sign at the start of White Cliffs Road

Easy riding on White Cliffs road barring a couple of sections very deep sand ( 500m ) towards the turnoff to Anne Beadell Highway.

Breakaways

Some more of pictures of White Cliffs road

Neil heading off from the Yarmarna down the Anne Beadell Highway.

The next part of the trip from Yarmana to Neales Junction was fantastic and if I had to pick the best of the ride that was it, overall it was sandy but except for a few sections that were a little deeper it was great fun, I think everyone had a smile on there faces.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1100904
Map of Trip

59DEN screwed with this post 04-26-2012 at 05:22 AM
59DEN is offline   Reply With Quote