Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #1456
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSilverFox View Post
Glad to hear there's another Dero rider on board. Re the ODO is it on the trip "A" or "B" settting ? I use the "B" setting as a rough guide to replace the missing fuel guage.
I need that on my '04 (or any pre-2007 Varadero XL1000V). On every post- 2007 model, the ODO has an setting on which the mileage runs backwards from the max available fuel- mileage ratio to zero.

So, on a '08 model, if you don't trust the fuel warning light (when that illuminates you have 4 liters of fuel left and from that moment, the ODO has an setting which gives you a clear indication what mileage is left on the remaining fuel capacity (depending on speed / riding style)

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #1457
dr_gribb
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squily View Post
Got one on the AT and won't bother buying another one for the Varadero. But at the same time, I won't remove the one on the AT either. You get other units with an electronic control, which may be better than the scott-oiler. In my experience:

Pro's:
  • You can adjust the flow of the system so you can "flush" the chain when riding harsh environs like sand so no grinding paste forms if compared to other lubes, like chain wax
  • Lubricates the chain so you don't have to
Con's
  • On the AT, it's installed behind the side panel, which means I have to remove the panel everytime I want to change the setting or refill it. It's faster to lube a chain the conventional way
  • At "light use" setting, I need to refill the unit every 500km or so, which on longer day trips means I need to do it "during" the trip and it actually waste's time
  • Different temperature ranges require different viscosity oils or you have to change the settings on the unit constantly. You may also need to change the type of oil for different conditions such as sand (don;t want a clingy oil) compared to road use
  • Your backwheel is always a mess with oil drops and dust (as is you number plate and mudguard)
  • When you reverse teh bike, the little feeder pipe tends to hook onto the sprocke or chain and it can actually misallign and not oil the chain. I've also "lost" the little pipe twice and have no idea where it went, but the insert from a Bic pen works well as a replacement
I installed a Scottoiler unit with dual injectors and Touring kit (a 400ml reservoir mounted behind the licence plate). It has now been over 7000km since the install. I'm very happy with the kit :) The days of spray lube are way gone.

It is one of more convenient add-ons that I have installed on my Varadero

Pro's
  • Flow is easy to adjust.
  • The size of the extra reservoirremoves the need to refill the unit. One fill-up lasts 6000km.
  • Chain is "clean" and lubed all the mine.
  • Backwheel is always clean as long I watch the flow and adjust it to the temperate/weather
Con's
  • The feeder pipes may clog blocking the flow, but that first happened after 5000km. The feeder pipes wear against the rear sprocket and care is needed to check them now and again. Its good to carry spare feeder pipes when on the road as part of you tool-kit pack.
dr_gribb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:37 PM   #1458
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squily
Got one on the AT and won't bother buying another one for the Varadero. But at the same time, I won't remove the one on the AT either. You get other units with an electronic control, which may be better than the scott-oiler. In my experience:

Pro's:
  • You can adjust the flow of the system so you can "flush" the chain when riding harsh environs like sand so no grinding paste forms if compared to other lubes, like chain wax
  • Lubricates the chain so you don't have to
Con's
  • On the AT, it's installed behind the side panel, which means I have to remove the panel everytime I want to change the setting or refill it. It's faster to lube a chain the conventional way
  • At "light use" setting, I need to refill the unit every 500km or so, which on longer day trips means I need to do it "during" the trip and it actually waste's time
  • Different temperature ranges require different viscosity oils or you have to change the settings on the unit constantly. You may also need to change the type of oil for different conditions such as sand (don;t want a clingy oil) compared to road use
  • Your backwheel is always a mess with oil drops and dust (as is you number plate and mudguard)
  • When you reverse teh bike, the little feeder pipe tends to hook onto the sprocke or chain and it can actually misallign and not oil the chain. I've also "lost" the little pipe twice and have no idea where it went, but the insert from a Bic pen works well as a replacement
I go with the CON's. Have tested a wide variety of auto oilers and honestly, I can't see the big advantage towards a (good) spray can.

I've tested the Scottie, the CLS200 and OSCO from which the OSCO unit was the best because it can be manually controled on a very precise level.

Towards a spray can, the fairytale that an auto oiler increases the live span of the chain and sprockets, is a host. Even with an oiler, you have to replace the front sprocket after apr. 30.000 / 35.000 km (20.000 miles) and what's the point of using a worn down chain with new sprockets? Non.

I switched back to MOTUL Chain Lube Offroad. Not that I use the bike that much in rough offroad conditions, but it sticks to the chain and keeps it clean. Normally, I use the can every 1.000 km (600 miles), except for rainy / winter conditions where I increase the frequently. I NEVER clean the chain; and doing so, I easely get 35.000 km (20.000 miles+) from a set of chain & sprockets.

I never have an 'greased' back rim or -fork, but its all about how- and when you apply the chain lube. I only apply it on the INSIDE of the chain, when the chain is still warm after a ride. And leave it there to rest. Its not a big job, any proper biker will turn the wheel frequently on main- or side stand to check the tires.

Any auto oiler will set you back apr 100,- without labour. For that amount of money, I can get up to 10 spraycans which last 2 years per can (I'm doing 10.000 miles per year, but use the can also on the Mrs her Varadero which does the same mileage!)

Just my 2 ct...

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Old 04-24-2012, 11:55 PM   #1459
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
More Pro :)

-Automatic oiler means that you can use biodegradable oil - yeah, I know, nobody cares what they leave on road...anyway...
-Automatic oiler means you do not need to lube chain on long trips. 3500 km = 7 times. That's 1 week of riding. That means that if you have central stand that usually adds good 5 kg of weight to already heavy bike and affects clearance it can be removed (done so on my bikes).
- You do not need to find space for spray can ( I prefer smaller luggage).
-Proper automatic oiler pumps oil instead of letting it flow, e.g. always put out measured fixed amount of oil per 1 pump cycle. I use PDOiler. 9 levels of adjustment changing frequency of pump cycles but cc per pump cycle always same with any oil viscosity.
- On my bikes chain life improved significantly. Firestorm never does 20 000 to a chain, DR800 never does too.
- Using of correct oiler cleans chain, this is proven. It stays lubed and clean and makes much less mess under front sprocket cover.
- I never ever had overspray on rear wheel and I install oiler using self-made nozzle that drops oil to chain under front sprocket.
- Any problems with oiler installed in way, it requires removing panel to refill is installer fault IMHO. I fitted PDOilers to 4 bikes and all owners can refill and adjust rate without removing anything.
- I never install tube on rear sprocket so I never had described problems.
- I never have to refill more often than let say every 2000 km. But again - this is with PDOiler, on road.

E.g. good auto oiler good if you do more of long trips than daily riding.
Only Cons I can see
- PDOiler costs 55 pounds, it is about costs of 5 small-ish spray cans where I live.
- Auto oiler won't change relation between sprockets and chain life. Chain worn=sprocket worn. To be honest I never before heard statements about chain oiler improving sprockets life over chain life. May be on other bikes...do not know.
- It has electric parts and I never trust anything electric. Thou I ride bike with CDI etc. That's I guess my own paranoia
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:56 AM   #1460
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Biodegradable oil? You also ride an electric powered bike plugged in on an Atomic Power plant?

Seriously... how about the rubber you leave on the road, flushed in the enviroment by the rain, the oil in your oilpan, etc? We are bikers. Enviroment, sustainebility and dureability are important Global issieus - no argue about that - but for enviromental issieus they build things like Prius or Insight...

About the frequenty... Using good oil for chainlube (either auto-oiler or spraycan) is obligatory. And 7 times in 3.500 km... that's not my statement: I wrote 1 x 1.000 km... ;) And it still works.

I think its also a matter of personal choices. If some one is happy with an auto oiler, that's fine. But they don't increase live span of chain + sprockets compared with a spray can.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:06 AM   #1461
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post

If some one is happy with an auto oiler, that's fine. But they don't increase live span of chain + sprockets compared with a spray can.
Oh yes they do. Probably not sprockets but definitely chain In my experience.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:54 AM   #1462
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
Quote:
Biodegradable oil? You also ride an electric powered bike plugged in on an Atomic Power plant?

Seriously... how about the rubber you leave on the road, flushed in the enviroment by the rain, the oil in your oilpan, etc? We are bikers. Enviroment, sustainebility and dureability are important Global issieus - no argue about that - but for enviromental issieus they build things like Prius or Insight...

About the frequenty... Using good oil for chainlube (either auto-oiler or spraycan) is obligatory. And 7 times in 3.500 km... that's not my statement: I wrote 1 x 1.000 km... ;) And it still works.

I think its also a matter of personal choices. If some one is happy with an auto oiler, that's fine. But they don't increase live span of chain + sprockets compared with a spray can.
I do believe that they do increase both lifespans. This been my experience, all of my friends experience and everyone I know on bike experience. I did use very good quality spray, as you noticed I said about 11 euros a can in bulk purchase. And I tried many. Yes, I lubed chain every 500 km, I did not mean that you did it every 500 km - it is my approach. Once in 1000 km is easy when you on clean roads and no rain.
But come on, with all my respect chain, that lives for 20 000 on Varadero with oiling ince per 1000 km with spray can means you have featherlight trottle hand. And I do not think you do, at least I never seen "slow and easy riding Dutch people" - mostly hard and fast riders. My VTR eats chains MUCH faster than that (until I put oiler on).
Or you meant about part of your riding in Netherlands and Germany where roads are VERY clean comparing to many other countries.
Spray can that lasts for 2 years for 2 bikes that do 10 000 miles a year? Wow.

About biodegradable.

How about slipping and sliding down roundabout because previous rider over lubed his chain with good quality lube and when it got properly hot it left slippery patch?
This is how one of my friends came to my garage to glue his Fazer 600 plastic together after lowsiding it...
Rubber do not eat tarmac. And if nobody else cares - why I can't? It is my personal choice.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #1463
california dreaming
n00b

Oddometer: 7
my bike

Hello guys, this is my varadero. Trying it out on the gravel and the sand, and find it a big too heavy.

california dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #1464
OldSilverFox
Let's Go!

Oddometer: 393
California Dreaming

Welcome to the forum.
I'm sure you'll find the Dero great in the gravel as you gain more experiance although deep soft sand is a struggle.
It's a great bike and will give years of dependable service.
TCAT Ride Report .
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825909
OldSilverFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:00 AM   #1465
california dreaming
n00b

Pegs

I am looking to buy a set of other pegs - for the gravel and sand roads.
Does anyone have experience with good ones, or maybe a tip?

Thanx!

ANd another question: does anybody know if it is possible to switch off the ABS?

california dreaming screwed with this post 04-26-2012 at 05:06 AM Reason: one more question
Old 04-26-2012, 05:16 AM   #1466
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by california dreaming View Post
Hello guys, this is my varadero. Trying it out on the gravel and the sand, and find it a big too heavy.
Judging to your plate you are Dutch ;)

Try www.varadero-international.com and www.varaderoclub.nl as well!

Old 04-26-2012, 05:26 AM   #1467
california dreaming
n00b

Quote:
Judging to your plate you are Dutch ;)

Try www.varadero-international.com and www.varaderoclub.nl as well!
Bedankt! groet, Rik
Old 04-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #1468
zandesiro
In rust we trust....

Oddometer: 789
Thumb

Quote:

Welcome....Nice colors...!
zandesiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #1469
Transitwally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
I am looking to buy a set of other pegs - for the gravel and sand roads.
Does anyone have experience with good ones, or maybe a tip?

Thanx!

ANd another question: does anybody know if it is possible to switch off the ABS?
I have installed a set of of these http://www.pivotpegz.net/, work great and are very comfortable.
Transitwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #1470
california dreaming
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transitwally View Post
I have installed a set of of these http://www.pivotpegz.net/, work great and are very comfortable.
thanx for the tip!