User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 07:33 AM   #1
Westy99 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
MOD+Pelican+Caribou = WIN

This has been a work in progress for some time now. It all started back in March of last year when I bought my bike and went searching for a top rack. Lots of folks were talking about the MOD so I got a hold of Dave and got one coming (along with a couple other goodies). At the time I purchased the rack I thought I would be buying the 34L top box from Caribou so I talked to Dave about mounting options and he told me about the universal mount kit from Caribou. Fast forward a bit, other parts and bits (that were a little more exciting than a top box) got in the way and it was late summer before I knew it. I ended up in the frigging hospital and my riding season was over.

While in the hospital, my buddy came home from Afghanistan and had some pelican goodies. The cases were small (used to tote around retinal scanners over in the sandbox and I thought it'd make the perfect little top box. The more I thought about top boxes, the more a smaller one appealed to me. I did some serious cleaning to get all the sand and fine grit out of the case, ordered up the mounting hardware and set in on the install.

For the front mounts, I could use pre-exisiting holes in the MOD rack. For the back two, I drilled a couple holes and mounted everything up. It was simple, the box is incredibly secure and the 1/4 turn fastners make removal very quick. The best part of this setup is I can pull the pelican case off and still use my top rack to haul other stuff, still use my Wolfman Rollie if I want a little more capacity or just to have another option.

Once the install was complete, I decided to give the case a little love. It was gnarly looking after its service over seas, faded, beat to hell and so on. I've been wanting to try my hand at camoing something (got a few gun stocks I'd like to try) so I figured this pelican case would be a good place to start. I picked up some Krylon paint (with fusion technology for plastic), washed the case down good, rubbed it all down with some denatured alcohol and set in on painting. I left all the character the case earned so it's still cut, scratched, knicked and really just beat but it's solid and still water tight.

What I learned was camo paint is a pain in the ass to do but if you mess up you can just go back over it with another color. I added the GS decals last night just in case the two big orange ones on the tank weren't enough. My uncle just got into doing vinyl decals so I hit him up and had him make a couple things for me.

Thanks Dave for answering all my questions and making a fantasticly versitale product...sorry it took so long to get it all together!

MOD rack w/ Caribou Universal Mount kit installed

To cover up the mounting hardware, I took the foam from the top and moved it to the bottom. Covers everything nicely without taking up too much room in the case.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,314
That's the same setup I use, if that's a 1450 case, it works a treat. You have a much nicer mounting system, though .

My DSLR rides in there all cozy in the foam and all my electronics go beside it. Never budges, always dependable and secure.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
MoodyBlues
Hey! Watch this.

Oddometer: 434
Nice set up. Like the GS logo on the side.

Can you post a pic of the inside without the foam covering the mounts? Have some Pelicans and think this is a plan. Thanks.

'11 BMW F800GS lava orange, '08 Kawasaki Concours, '06 ZX-10R track bike
'13 KTM 500 XC-W
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
Westy99 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Mollygrubber - near as I can tell from the dimensions it's a 1450 or very simliar. I was thinking it'd be nice for toting camera gear around.

MoodyBlues - I'll take some shots without the foam and of the bottom of the case as well.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
XPEDITIONREADY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
What are the dimensions to the 1450 case? I want to a pelican case but dont want one to big as a top box. I am looking for the size that my 15" laptop can lay flat in and I like the looks of this one but afraid it may be to small. Any input?

Thanks,
Ben

XPEDITIONREADY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
TimTX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
The Pelican vs Storm Comparison Chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEngine View Post
What are the dimensions to the 1450 case? I want to a pelican case but dont want one to big as a top box. I am looking for the size that my 15" laptop can lay flat in and I like the looks of this one but afraid it may be to small. Any input?
Here's a link to a chart I find handy, listing/comparing each Pelican and Storm case, with their dimensions/weight/links/etc:

http://www.thepelicanstore.com/PelicanStorm.aspx
TimTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy99 View Post
This has been a work in progress for some time now. It all started back in March of last year when I bought my bike and went searching for a top rack. Lots of folks were talking about the MOD so I got a hold of Dave and got one coming (along with a couple other goodies). At the time I purchased the rack I thought I would be buying the 34L top box from Caribou so I talked to Dave about mounting options and he told me about the universal mount kit from Caribou. Fast forward a bit, other parts and bits (that were a little more exciting than a top box) got in the way and it was late summer before I knew it. I ended up in the frigging hospital and my riding season was over.

While in the hospital, my buddy came home from Afghanistan and had some pelican goodies. The cases were small (used to tote around retinal scanners over in the sandbox and I thought it'd make the perfect little top box. The more I thought about top boxes, the more a smaller one appealed to me. I did some serious cleaning to get all the sand and fine grit out of the case, ordered up the mounting hardware and set in on the install.

For the front mounts, I could use pre-exisiting holes in the MOD rack. For the back two, I drilled a couple holes and mounted everything up. It was simple, the box is incredibly secure and the 1/4 turn fastners make removal very quick. The best part of this setup is I can pull the pelican case off and still use my top rack to haul other stuff, still use my Wolfman Rollie if I want a little more capacity or just to have another option.

Once the install was complete, I decided to give the case a little love. It was gnarly looking after its service over seas, faded, beat to hell and so on. I've been wanting to try my hand at camoing something (got a few gun stocks I'd like to try) so I figured this pelican case would be a good place to start. I picked up some Krylon paint (with fusion technology for plastic), washed the case down good, rubbed it all down with some denatured alcohol and set in on painting. I left all the character the case earned so it's still cut, scratched, knicked and really just beat but it's solid and still water tight.

What I learned was camo paint is a pain in the ass to do but if you mess up you can just go back over it with another color. I added the GS decals last night just in case the two big orange ones on the tank weren't enough. My uncle just got into doing vinyl decals so I hit him up and had him make a couple things for me.

Thanks Dave for answering all my questions and making a fantasticly versitale product...sorry it took so long to get it all together!

MOD rack w/ Caribou Universal Mount kit installed

To cover up the mounting hardware, I took the foam from the top and moved it to the bottom. Covers everything nicely without taking up too much room in the case.

Hey Westy99,

Thanks for the showing the set up! Looks good.

That Two Brothers can is lookin' pretty cool too .

The Universal mounts definitely are lower than the Pelican version Caribou makes that I have pic of.

I was sorry to hear about the accident you had last year...so best of luck for an awesome riding season this year!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyBlues
Nice set up. Like the GS logo on the side.

Can you post a pic of the inside without the foam covering the mounts? Have some Pelicans and think this is a plan. Thanks.
I have a pic of the inside too for you (courtesy of FastRedBike):

and these are the Pelican versions that Caribou makes for comparison:

They are twice the height to accommodate for the "feet" on the boxes.

The Universal ones work better I'd say.

Please note too that for anyone interested in doing this, the current version of the MOD Top Rack now has mounting points in the rear too so no drilling is needed. That's the one shown above.

Thanks!

Dave
Old 04-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #8
TimTX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
KISS Pelican install on MOD

No question the Caribou system is awesome, but I thought I'd show my install to show A) how the MOD rack KISS worked, and B) how a Pelican 1500 case fits on the MOD rack. I do think the 1500 is a little too large: as you can see, it's a little hard to get to the tie-downs (I can fit a ROK strap in there, but it's not ideal). I do think a 1450 or smaller might be a better size.

Anyway, here's the photos. As you can see, the 1500 takes up the entire rack:

I simply attached it via the two square holes on the MOD rack, meant for carriage bolts. For the price of two 1/4" x 1" long carriage bolts, two big washers, and two wing nuts, I mounted the case and it seems VERY solid.

It also seems pretty tamper proof: to remove the case you have to get inside (I can lock it), and nothing shows on the bottom but a rounded bolt head:

TimTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
Dieselpwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Hows the sound on that TBR exhaust? Been thinking of getting one.
Dieselpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTX View Post
No question the Caribou system is awesome, but I thought I'd show my install to show A) how the MOD rack KISS worked, and B) how a Pelican 1500 case fits on the MOD rack. I do think the 1500 is a little too large: as you can see, it's a little hard to get to the tie-downs (I can fit a ROK strap in there, but it's not ideal). I do think a 1450 or smaller might be a better size.

It also seems pretty tamper proof: to remove the case you have to get inside (I can lock it), and nothing shows on the bottom but a rounded bolt head:

Yup, that's pretty much how I mounted mine, except I used short stainless carriage bolts with nylocks, and rubber washers under big stainless ones - and I used 3.

Good setup. With the 1450 case I can just get a Rokstrap into the slot on the back of the plate.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #11
MoodyBlues
Hey! Watch this.

"Yup, that's pretty much how I mounted mine, except I used short stainless carriage bolts with nylocks, and rubber washers under big stainless ones - and I used 3.

Good setup. With the 1450 case I can just get a Rokstrap into the slot on the back of the plate."

Yes, thats what I was thinking. Piece of mind that they aren't backing out from vibrations. This is my weekend project. Thanks guys.

'13 KTM 500 XC-W
Old 04-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #12
MoodyBlues
Hey! Watch this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselpwr View Post
Hows the sound on that TBR exhaust? Been thinking of getting one.

I have the titanium TBR pipe. Nice sound, not too loud. A slight tad more mid range power. Sounds more like a big bore dual sport instead of a sewing machine. No regrets.

'13 KTM 500 XC-W
Old 04-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #13
Westy99 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

My original plan was the KISS method but liked the quick detach option with the Caribou setup...you pay for it though! I'm still planning on getting a couple pictures of the inside of the case and the bottom, my setup is a little different than what Dave showed. The last couple nights haven't worked out buti should be ale to get them posted this weekend.

As far as the Two Bros pipe, it sounds great, nice tone, not loud or harsh but much throatier. I've been 100% happy with mine.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #14
MoodyBlues
Hey! Watch this.

Got my parts rounded up today. I am using a TT base plate with a 1500 Pelican case so I might start a new thread so it would be easier to search later on. I am going to put a link to this thread in mine if you don't mind. Thanks.

'13 KTM 500 XC-W
Old 05-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #15
Westy99 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

No problem Moodyblues...here is a couple more shots for you.

Inside the case...

Bottom of the case...

Based on where I needed to put the mounts, I had to trim the feet off my case.

By the way...great ride report!