User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
ggemelos OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Buying a new bike in Nepal

I was planning a trip to Nepal, India, and the stans. I am planning on starting out in Nepal and wanted to pick up a new bike like an XR250 Tornado or DR200SE. Does anyone one if these are easy bikes to find and where I could pick one up? I am open to other bikes if anyone has a suggestion. I realize that the import tax is high in Nepal and I will end up paying for the bike, but it is still easier than shipping one from the states. I will also try to get the carnet de passage once I pick up the bike, any advice there would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

By the way, I was originally going to go with an RX135 from Hearts and Tears in Pokhara, but I think they are closed for a while.
ggemelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:20 AM   #2
Duffman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Hearts and Tears are closed. I believe the business is being sold (personal reasons, which have been discussed on the forums before). So they're out of the question.

XR's...i'll be honest, off roaders are very few and far between. Those i have seen are generally pretty ancient and tatty. 99% of bikes here are either Bajaj Pulsar's (150/180/220cc's) or Hero Honda Unicorns (mainly 125cc's i think). There are a few Royal Enfields of course, but you really want something reliable, so forget them :)

I think if you were really keen on an XR or similar, you'd have to just get over here and spend days/weeks searching through every motorcycle dealership you can find. Another big issue would probably be parts. The Hero Hondas are good because there are lots of aftermarket parts available, therefore cheap. The bajaj are great because there are service centres literally everywhere BUT you can't get aftermarket parts, so perhaps a little more expensive for servicing etc than the Hero's. The word on the street here is the Bajaj are better, but who knows.

You might have more luck getting your hands on an offroader by speaking to the various tour companies who may well sell one of their bikes (for a price of course). Again, difficult to do from afar, you really need to be here.

Failing that, i've taken my Bajaj Pulsar to some pretty out of the way places. You'd be surprised how far you can take them if you have the love :)
Old 04-16-2012, 06:01 AM   #3
goathead
grunt and push

Oddometer: 42
Nepal

Royal Enfilds are every where in Nepal there is a dealer in Pokara.
goathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
mikenepal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Thumb Get one from INDIA

Get a Indian plate bike for under half the cost and shipped to Nepal use it here the pay oad tax is about 1 dollar a day ride to India and sell it again and you will lose a lot less than buying a Nepali plate.

The import tax is 220% so a Enfield can be bought in India for about 60,000/- NRS as apposed to a minimum of 2,00,000/- for the same bike. (Good condition Old School) Pay a Nepali to pick it up from the border and do the paperwork have it waiting for you in KTM off in India you will have 3 months tax paid and Indian plates and save a hell of a lot, More money for beer

Mike
mikenepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:27 AM   #5
mattgardner
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hearts & Tears is open!

Hi all,

Just letting you know that Hearts & Tears in Pokhara Nepal is open again.

Cheers,

Matt
www.heartsandtears.com
mattgardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:20 AM   #6
ggemelos OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgardner View Post
Hi all,

Just letting you know that Hearts & Tears in Pokhara Nepal is open again.

Cheers,

Matt
www.heartsandtears.com
Matt,
Congratulations for taking over Hearts and Tears. It was nice to heat that the place is open again. Good luck
Old 10-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
fierstf
girl power

Oddometer: 57
Don't bother trying to buy an off road bike in Nepal. I lived there for a about 1 1/2 years and speaking from experience, it is not worth the effort. Follow mikenepal's advice and buy a bike in India. You can get by with a Bajaj or a Honda Hero, the locals take those bikes everywhere.

I had use of a 20+ year old street bike that I took everywhere!

fierstf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:15 PM   #8
Travelbugblues
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Leaving India with it?

Hi guys,

I've been looking into buying a bike in India or somewhere in SE Asia as well. What about taking the bike off the continent? Is it possible to get it to Europe and Beyond? I'm assuming I'd have to get a carnet in India and just eat the cost of it, since I wouldn't be returning? A lot cheaper than shipping my own bike from Australia...

Any info would be appreciated!
Travelbugblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
AZKomet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Nepal

I was in Nepal in 2008...Yes, a few ago....I did not see any big bikes at all. I had to settle for a puny chinese model that I gave up on rather quickly. Never saw a RE shop in Pokhara either..Maybe it is open. In any case be careful (goes w/o saying) because the can't drive for $hit over there.
On the road of death as I called it from KMD to Pokarha I saw many crashes and 11 people dead from a crash...it wasn't a good road to begin with and the nutty drivers don't help.

If you are there go to Tiger Tops! ;) In the souther area...A great place.
AZKomet is offline   Reply With Quote