Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #976
jpdiller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
No "star" nut, It is a KTM part? looks like it is a taper fit. The puller matches up, in size, to the axle.The part that it replaces looks to be a taper fit as well? Gonna find out in a bit!

Thanks

jpd

Still waiting on a couple parts, suspension is off and getting revalved, can't wait to ride this little monster!
Pics coming soon....
jpdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #977
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
more switch info maybe...

So I found this great thread over on ktmt from E-ticket who is also on this thread. Regarding his 350 EXC. And another member pointed out this little tidbit. Just curious if the 500 is so different, that it doesn't hold true for us.

Quote:

KTM parts told me that the 2012 EXC's need the map switch and the motor control unit. Price for both is $140.

The motor control unit mounts to the black plastic mount that is vacated when you pull that plug off to connect to the map switch. Do you have the motor control unit hooked up or just the map switch?

The directions for installation can be found at KTMPARTS.com under the map switch labeled downloads.

There are good photos of this in that manual.

See also Caltrex post on Map switch install for 350 EXC. He has pics there.
edit:
And yet another
Quote:
No I do not have the motor control switch, nor have I got the KTM map switch.
I'm using the mild/wild plugs ($25) which probably represent setting 1(mild) and 9(Wild) on the motor control switch.
When I read those instructions it seems like the motor control switch allows more granularity and in combination with the map switch you can switch between whatever you set on the motor control switch and the standard map.
this was also from a 350 exc owner

Lulu7404 screwed with this post 04-25-2012 at 03:31 PM
Lulu7404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #978
ridethedesert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABYSS View Post
But he was talking about motorcycle oil buddy not automotive oil.
Understood. I haven't seen Mobil 1 in my offroad books. I only see it in the street books for V-twin motorcycles. That's why I thought he was talking about Mobil 1 for cars. Most of our customers buy Mobil 1 from Wal-Mart because it's cheaper.
ridethedesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #979
ridethedesert
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
What I was told at KTM Tech School - EXC and XC-W maps were the same and both were locked. They are both 'Green Sticker' and can't be modified. They both have only one internal map, no 'Soft Map', no 'Aggressive Map'.

Thanks California!

The SX and XCF maps are open, since they are not 'Green Sticker'.
JD Jetting 6x Tuner. $200, problem solved. No need for unlocking, dealer, will it work , blah blah blah. You leave it plugged in and can program away up to a 1,000 different possible scenarios/mapping.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #980
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,356
Added some KTM parts today - skid plate and some black plastic pieces. I also recovered the pan with a comfort seat. I feel like I'm just about done. Some simple bark busters and that's it.

I'll get two more good rides in before we go up the mountains.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #981
ridethedesert
Adventurer

Just finished doing the LED conversion for those who are interested. When you change out your stock flasher unit, you must rewire the green blinker bulb in order for the signals to blink correctly. Sicass makes a little wire kit for it.

Sicass LED Front Turn Signals

Stock shifter was too short, the Hammerhead fits really nicely. Had to put a DID VT2 120 Link chain on the bike to clear my Maxxis Desert IT 120/100-18. My 500 came stock with a DID VT2, just without the gold and mine only had 112 links.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #982
ridethedesert
Adventurer

Supermoto Wheels

Also picked up some Excel/Talon Supermoto wheels. 17x5.00 rear and 16.5x3.50 front. Might end up converting the front to a 17. I'll see how the slicks last on the street.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #983
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethedesert View Post
JD Jetting 6x Tuner. $200, problem solved. No need for unlocking, dealer, will it work , blah blah blah. You leave it plugged in and can program away up to a 1,000 different possible scenarios/mapping.
THX! That is what Evil K has now that you mention that. I have it bookmarked but didn't realize it was different than map switch. Is that something that requires Dyno to tune or do they have preset settings? I will check their info... thanks again for the reminder about that.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #984
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
What are those tires, and how did you like them? I just ordered some Shinko 705's in 18/21 until I can scrounge up enough coin for SUMOs. Which might be a while after the 13l tank, bash plate, SICASS lights, and the invoice I got from HDB today for the whole shebang on the handlebars....
Old 04-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #985
APBlack
nOOb on a fly

Oddometer: 198
Quote:

Ok I have a question as I have not tried the JD box yet... Isn't the JD Jetting 6x turner for adjusting the "fuel" map and the handle bar mount switch for switching between the "soft / aggressive" ignition map??
06 KTM 950 Adv (orange one)
05 Honda 650L
APBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #986
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Also picked up some Excel/Talon Supermoto wheels. 17x5.00 rear and 16.5x3.50 front. Might end up converting the front to a 17. I'll see how the slicks last on the street.
What did those run you? I also did the Sicass LED treatment but only in the rear.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #987
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBlack View Post
Ok I have a question as I have not tried the JD box yet... Isn't the JD Jetting 6x turner for adjusting the "fuel" map and the handle bar mount switch for switching between the "soft / aggressive" ignition map??
The CPU has many maps that are overlaid on each other to get the final values for fuel and ignition. There is a temperature map, accellerator map, altitude map, and finally the aggressive/standard/soft maps that are overlaid depending on the external switch settings.

I believe the 'soft' effects the ign mostly. The aggressive effects both the ign and fuel. But, I also believe these are only available for the SX and XCF, not the XCW and not the EXC.

The JD Jet attaches between the CPU and the injector. It lengthens or shortens the injection pulse.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:26 AM   #988
Honda_jedi
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Thumb Wheels/Tires/Hubs/Cush

Interested in 500EXC owners thoughts:... not that anyone has had to break into their clutch, but.

Through hours of internet and ADV research on the 500exc I'm obsessed- and need to buy one, though one detail I can't figure out - the new clutch incorporates "transmission friendly back-damping". I assume this is some type of cush mechanism, but what is it? I can't find any pictures or details anywhere. The KTM literature is vague, and I assume no one has had to put a new clutch assembly in their 500 yet to see what's actually going on...

There's definitely plenty of talk that the 500exc may not make the best adventure bike due to lack of cush drive rear hub, and some other small issues like fuel and oil capacity. Just wondering if KTM actually addressed the cush issue from the factory. Definitely something good to figure out before investing money in some Excels.

thoughts? would a cush drive still be necessary?

on a similar note: I also found that many street bikes incorporate rubberized front sprockets. Trying to figure out now if it's actually something that separates the middle from outer splines/teeth, or just rubberized to lessen chain noise. thoughts on that too would be great.
Honda_jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:26 AM   #989
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
What did those run you? I also did the Sicass LED treatment but only in the rear.
This statement taken alone, does not seem like it is in the right forum
toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:30 AM   #990
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda_jedi View Post
Interested in 500EXC owners thoughts:... not that anyone has had to break into their clutch, but.

Through hours of internet and ADV research on the 500exc I'm obsessed- and need to buy one, though one detail I can't figure out - the new clutch incorporates "transmission friendly back-damping". I assume this is some type of cush mechanism, but what is it? I can't find any pictures or details anywhere. The KTM literature is vague, and I assume no one has had to put a new clutch assembly in their 500 yet to see what's actually going on...

There's definitely plenty of talk that the 500exc may not make the best adventure bike due to lack of cush drive rear hub, and some other small issues like fuel and oil capacity. Just wondering if KTM actually addressed the cush issue from the factory. Definitely something good to figure out before investing money in some Excels.

thoughts? would a cush drive still be necessary?

on a similar note: I also found that many street bikes incorporate rubberized front sprockets. Trying to figure out now if it's actually something that separates the middle from outer splines/teeth, or just rubberized to lessen chain noise. thoughts on that too would be great.

The rubberized front sprockets are just extra rubber on a normal sprocket to cut down on chain noise. No tranny to rear wheel damping there.
toddler is offline   Reply With Quote