Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2012, 06:52 AM   #31
Iron Dingo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
Hence my first post in this thread:
I am really looking for either a smaller tag or a faster charge/longer range. I don't expect both. Not anytime soon.

and if i had the $$ i would be looking real hard at finding a way to get to a dealer and give them a serious look.
Iron Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #32
jfurf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
I think an e-bike would fit PERFECTLY into my current riding habits. The reason is that Monday through Friday I commute 10-15 miles each way to and from work, as well as 5 or 10 mile trips around the city to meet up with friends or run an errand or whatever. So I could use the e-bike Monday through Friday and around town, then keep a conventional petrol bike for weekend day trips and touring usage.

If we had more visionaries in public office the government could do a few low-cost things to encourage the use of e-bikes and e-scooters. Legalize lane filtering, set up some recharge stations, allow e-bikes to park for free or set aside some dedicated parking in central business districts.

The benefits are that you have more people riding "zero-emission" vehicles (I know electricity production is not necessarily zero emission, spare me the lecture), fewer cars taking up valuable road/parking space, possibly fewer loud/annoying internal combustion engines.

I think these things are here to stay.
jfurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #33
Phil Y
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
jfurf, no lecture intended. The facts here in Hawaii, are that Hawaiian Electric relies on imported oil for some 90 percent of its production. Add the fact that HECO is THE single largest contributor to air pollution here makes riding/driving electric vehicles for the sake of the environment an oxymoron, unless you're generating your own electricity by alternate means. The other benefits you cite apply to conventional bikes as well.

Visionaries in goverment???? We can all only dream!!!
Old 04-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #34
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
lets say you buy an electric bike.

aside from just ride it, what do you do after that? performance improvements (power) are almost non existent. and you cant do anything about it without further trashing the range. you could probably rewind the motor just like an r/c electric car but then you gotta worry about cooling and even less range.

this thread honestly makes me want to get back into r/c dirt track buggies lol.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #35
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfurf View Post
I think an e-bike would fit PERFECTLY into my current riding habits. The reason is that Monday through Friday I commute 10-15 miles each way to and from work, as well as 5 or 10 mile trips around the city to meet up with friends or run an errand or whatever. So I could use the e-bike Monday through Friday and around town, then keep a conventional petrol bike for weekend day trips and touring usage.

If we had more visionaries in public office the government could do a few low-cost things to encourage the use of e-bikes and e-scooters. Legalize lane filtering, set up some recharge stations, allow e-bikes to park for free or set aside some dedicated parking in central business districts.

The benefits are that you have more people riding "zero-emission" vehicles (I know electricity production is not necessarily zero emission, spare me the lecture), fewer cars taking up valuable road/parking space, possibly fewer loud/annoying internal combustion engines.

I think these things are here to stay.

i really doubt that would encourage anyone to buy them.

a couple reasons,

1. as for riding a scooter, it is an embarrassment for most people, double down if its electric, (personally i would love an old vespa, i have a 35cc goped style stand-up scooter that i love, but its just a toy.)
2. negates anyone that makes decent money, they wont give a shit and probably need a car for seeing clients
3. most people dont ride motorcycles
4. enthusiasts do not want an electric motorcycle, no character, almost zero ability to modify, no happy engine sounds.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:58 AM   #36
doggrell3000 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
new zero ebike vs new brammo ebike

asphalt and rubber says zero is working on a new electric motorcycle to compete with the brammo empulse :

Zero Is Working on a Brammo-Killer for 2013

doggrell3000
nyc
doggrell3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:18 AM   #37
PegasoPat
General Smart Ass

Oddometer: 336
Laugh A new entrant to the E-bike scene

http://www.voltamotorbikes.com/
This e-bike from Spain looks interesting for city work. I would like to have one to commute to and from work, and in town stuff. My daily commute and evening social mileage comes in under thirty miles easily. I have a place to charge it at work and the city garage has charging stations too. And as for building my own...thought about it, but even though I like beer and often want one, I would not consider brewing my own. I will leave it all up to the experts on both accounts!
Old 04-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #38
sagebrushocean
Harris's hawker

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargev55 View Post
And most people who ride motorcycles don't ride them every day, but I do. I've seen more motorcycles out this weekend than the past 6 months put together. For me, a motorcycle is a (fun) commuting tool. I'd get the best tool for the job.

Quote:
4. enthusiasts do not want an electric motorcycle, no character, almost zero ability to modify, no happy engine sounds.
Then perhaps I'm not an enthusiast, but I commute 18 miles one way every day, and an electric bike that would go 0-60 in 5 seconds or less (apparently the Zero S does it in 4, with 60 ft-lb torque), with a top speed of 80mph, would work great for me. I'd get one in a heartbeat if they didn't cost two or three times as much as a gas-powered bike of similar capability. I don't give a damn about the lack of ICE sound or "character", and don't want to modify it (although everything seems to need a better seat ...) if it already does what I need.

Cheap carbon-free hydroelectricity here in the PNW. Let's see, I commute about 6K miles/yr, paying $0.10/mile for gas at current prices. Comparable electricity price is $0.01/mile, so I would save a bit over $500/yr on fuel. Maintenance costs SHOULD be lower for the e-bike, but as with any new technology, that's not guaranteed. On fuel alone it would take 10 years or more to make up the difference in price between something like the Zero S and my DR650. Hard to believe that the ~$4K battery will last 10 years, so there go ALL the savings when you replace that.

Still, if e-bikes show up on the used market at the 1/2 price typical of lightly-used gas motorcycles, I'll give one a try.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #39
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebrushocean View Post
And most people who ride motorcycles don't ride them every day, but I do. I've seen more motorcycles out this weekend than the past 6 months put together. For me, a motorcycle is a (fun) commuting tool. I'd get the best tool for the job.

Then perhaps I'm not an enthusiast, but I commute 18 miles one way every day, and an electric bike that would go 0-60 in 5 seconds or less (apparently the Zero S does it in 4, with 60 ft-lb torque), with a top speed of 80mph, would work great for me. I'd get one in a heartbeat if they didn't cost two or three times as much as a gas-powered bike of similar capability. I don't give a damn about the lack of ICE sound or "character", and don't want to modify it (although everything seems to need a better seat ...) if it already does what I need.

you already own two great commuting tools. the dr650 motard is cool, and i have considered the smaller honda 230 a few times myself. if you want an electric bike, go for it. its not my thing and never will be. all motorcycles i will ever own will have a combustion engine, and if they ever quit making them (which i doubt will happen), i will just buy 'vintage' bikes.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #40
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,260
We visited them last year. Pretty cool. They had a deal on the 2011's since the '12s were coming in. I think they said with the rebate, it was around $5500. New ones were $11k, with rebate, i think it ended up being around $7500.

It's in my thread somewhere.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615907&page=2

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #41
sagebrushocean
Harris's hawker

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
We visited them last year. Pretty cool. They had a deal on the 2011's since the '12s were coming in. I think they said with the rebate, it was around $5500. New ones were $11k, with rebate, i think it ended up being around $7500.
I forgot about the tax credits/rebates. That could make a very big difference in the "real" price.

Edit: In WA, the combination of federal tax credit ($2500 + ((kWh-4)*$417)) and state sales tax rebate (0.065*$4600) is worth about $3600 off the OTD price for a Zero S ZF6 with an MSRP of $11.5K and a $4600 battery pack.

sagebrushocean screwed with this post 04-22-2012 at 05:28 PM Reason: update
sagebrushocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #42
Phil Y
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Eek

OK, let's hear from someone who took the dive, bought and is riding one!
Old 04-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #43
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
if google is correct, adv has close to 200k members. the forum says 191,181, so google was pretty close.

most of us ride regularly, or use the bike to commute, and apparently none, or very few of us own one. not promising, considering the over the top stuff a lot of us like to do or attempt to do.

i rather doubt that anyone that does own one would give a truthful answer either, because all the reviews lean towards getting straight up ripped off on the real world range.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #44
Iron Dingo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post

There was one in my local Lowes parking lot a lot last summer. i will try to hunt them down and get the lowdown.
Iron Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:55 AM   #45
jfurf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargev55 View Post
i really doubt that would encourage anyone to buy them.

a couple reasons,

1. as for riding a scooter, it is an embarrassment for most people, double down if its electric, (personally i would love an old vespa, i have a 35cc goped style stand-up scooter that i love, but its just a toy.)
2. negates anyone that makes decent money, they wont give a shit and probably need a car for seeing clients

Yeah, scooters are so embarrassing to ride that I see hundreds (or at least dozens) of them every single day, all over town. Scooter sales have been booming over the past few years because people want an easy way to get around/park/etc. that doesn't cost a lot of money and is low on hassles.

I would guess that, in this country at least, the average motorcycle commuter is actually more affluent than the typical car driver. I see a lot of not-at-all-cheap Beemers, Harleys and FJRs during my commute. Yeah you're right that moto-commuting isn't for everyone but there's plenty of room for growth (which is why these new companies are getting into the e-bike business).

Of course not. Most don't. But there's lots of room for growth -- both by growing the total number of licensed motorcyclists and by coming up with ways for existing riders to ride more often (by making it more economical).

These are commuter bikes. Those of us who aren't trying to impress others don't care so much about engine noise. Like I said, my guess is that the typical e-bike owner would still have a "weekend" bike with a combustion engine for all that stuff. A low-maintenance commuting machine that doesn't require oil changes and valve adjustments and carb adjustment, etc. would be useful for a lot of people. When you're leaving the house at 8 a.m. to get to the office, you really don't want to deal with "character." You just want the bike to be predictable, dependable and get you there with minimal drama.
jfurf is offline   Reply With Quote