Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #256
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday Rider View Post
Thanks for taking the trouble to post your trip up. Really enjoyed it. You cracked me up in many of your posts. Looked forward to it each morning as I shuffled my to do list on my desk.

Glad they let you back in without any drama

Where's the next trip?
You are welcome and thanks for your kind comments.

Don't know where the next trip will be. Have some ideas for down the road but will see how things pan out. Certainly Mexico again (and again) but also thinking further south.
www.rexbuck.com - RexBuck's Latin America
RexBuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #257
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,284
Nice trip. I stayed at the same hotel in Yecora. It was interesting. Gotta love Mexico.

jimmex screwed with this post 04-20-2012 at 10:48 PM
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #258
Sunday Rider
Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer: 681
So what did you do about the clutch? Did you already cover that, I couldn't find it.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #259
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Nice trip. I stayed at the same hotel in Yecora. It was interesting. Gotta love Mexico.
Thanks. There was more to Yecora than I expected. Has a newly built town square - quite modernistic - my pics of it didn't turn out. I was down there in the evening and most of the people seemed to be in the church for a wedding. Town square set up for the reception complete with band.

Quote:
So what did you do about the clutch? Did you already cover that, I couldn't find it.
I babied it all the way home. I thought it was feeling a bit loose towards the end but no problems. Had Sierra BMW send me a new one when I was in Sacramento so, could have easily done a changeover as I had the parts with me.

Hindsight being what it is, I guess I could have taken the extra week and a half needed to get the parts down to Mexico, planted myself in a nice town and done the changeover there. Would have taken the edge off the remainder of the trip.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #260
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,366
Great RR and lots of intersting information ! Thx
Old 04-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #261
Sunday Rider
Adventurer Wanabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexBuck View Post
Thanks. There was more to Yecora than I expected. Has a newly built town square - quite modernistic - my pics of it didn't turn out. I was down there in the evening and most of the people seemed to be in the church for a wedding. Town square set up for the reception complete with band.

I babied it all the way home. I thought it was feeling a bit loose towards the end but no problems. Had Sierra BMW send me a new one when I was in Sacramento so, could have easily done a changeover as I had the parts with me.

Hindsight being what it is, I guess I could have taken the extra week and a half needed to get the parts down to Mexico, planted myself in a nice town and done the changeover there. Would have taken the edge off the remainder of the trip.
Glad it didn't grenade on you. You should have taken the extra time, that would have given us more RR and pictures to look it, oh well sounds like you will be back down there again. How did your wife like the time she spent down there. Would she go for more time on the bike the next time?

Sunday Rider screwed with this post 04-22-2012 at 04:23 AM
Sunday Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #262
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Glad it didn't grenade on you. You should have taken the extra time, that would have given us more RR and pictures to look it, oh well sounds like you will be back down there again. How did your wife like the time she spent down there. Would she go for more time on the bike the next time?
Wife really enjoyed - we have spent a lot of time in the past in Mexico but this was a lot different than the usual seaside resort towns.

She said she found this bike more comfortable than my Harley Ultra which surprised me. I found this bike to be pretty close to its maximum capacity with her and some gear on the back - actually dragged the pegs a few times in the twisties. So, yah I think she'd go a bit farther on the back but the limiting factors are me and all my gear. We were able to leave a bunch of stuff at the hotel in Oaxaca when we went over to the coast to lighten the load a bit. Also, I'm just not a huge two up fan - it's ok for awhile but not an extended trip.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #263
Sunday Rider
Adventurer Wanabe

Thanks for the details. I've been taking my wife for day trips, but she is not too keen on sitting on the back and seeing the back of my helmet for a week long trip. Plus it would kill my budget, because she won't camp or hit the 1 star motels . So she's going to try the m/c course in a couple of weeks and see if she likes to go on her own.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #264
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the details. I've been taking my wife for day trips, but she is not too keen on sitting on the back and seeing the back of my helmet for a week long trip. Plus it would kill my budget, because she won't camp or hit the 1 star motels . So she's going to try the m/c course in a couple of weeks and see if she likes to go on her own.
My wife took the course and rides her own bike - I think that made her more comfortable on the back of mine. She has done a few long trips (all pavement) with me. You are correct, always more $ with the Mrs along - not so much that she won't stay at a certain place, just that I wouldn't take her there.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #265
Pete_Tallahassee
Out Standing Member

Oddometer: 135
I'd like to thank you also for taking the time to write this up as you go along.

I just got back from three weeks in Mexico and your suggestion to take 175 out of Oaxaca was right on. Great road. I've done 16 in years past and that's also a great road.

Like you said."What a wonderful country"
Pete_Tallahassee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #266
Pete_Tallahassee
Out Standing Member

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexBuck View Post
Hey Pete, glad you are finding it useful. Yah, I know you can't do it all and there are some real crown jewells left for me when I return.

There really isn't anything north of Tuxtepec that I was on that you would be unable to do on your K1200RS. The worst part was a that little patch of gravelt the end of 182 but the scenery was so nice, I'd do it again on my Harley . . . just slower.

By the way, where did you find a place to stay in Mazunte? My wife and I went over there for a day and there looks like a lot of cool restaraunts and shops but accomodation seemed sparse.
Just saw this. I also enjoyed 182 and "that little patch of gravel at the end" was not that bad. As you said, the scenery was spectacular.

In Mazunte I stayed across the street from the Turtle Tank. Mazunte Hotel fourth floor, nice breezes. It was the Easter weekend so everything on the beach was booked. 400 p.

Thanks Again.
Pete_Tallahassee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #267
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Thanks for such a great ride report. Friends and I shall be doing the Oregon coast from Canmore the first week of August. Can't wait! Mexico shall be next, looks great. We love the adventure, and the dives. Food looks soooooooo goooood! Glad your home safe and again thanks for taking us all on your adventure

Mike
Old 04-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #268
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Tallahassee View Post
I'd like to thank you also for taking the time to write this up as you go along.

I just got back from three weeks in Mexico and your suggestion to take 175 out of Oaxaca was right on. Great road. I've done 16 in years past and that's also a great road.

Like you said."What a wonderful country"
You are welcome Pete and again, thanks for following along. Glad you enjoyed 175 - pretty hard not to. I have to admit that Mexico has more spectacular motorcycle roads than I believed possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho911 View Post
Thanks for such a great ride report. Friends and I shall be doing the Oregon coast from Canmore the first week of August. Can't wait! Mexico shall be next, looks great. We love the adventure, and the dives. Food looks soooooooo goooood! Glad your home safe and again thanks for taking us all on your adventure

Mike
Thanks for the kind comments Mike, I'm really pleased you enjoyed the report.

Man, you guys have some really great riding alternatives from Canmore to the coast - have fun and ride safe.

Hmm, Canmore . . . how's the Grizzly Paw doing? Not that I've ever been there . . .
Old 04-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #269
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 778
You forgot to stop and say Hi passing thru Norcal.
It was a pleasure to meet up with you and swap stories over dinner in Oaxaca.
Your RR is one of the best I've read.

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #270
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,569
Great report. You saved lots of good places for next time. The SMA area is great, and I recommend hitting Real de Catorce on the way down there.

One thing about Mexico, you're always looking forward to next time.

I see you have the same problem I do- too far to the border.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote